Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Audio Equipment Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 06:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio Equipment Upgrades

So when I bought my car last year it came with a pretty decent system, but it is 10 years old. I wanted to see what you guys could give me as far as some recommendations for some newer equipment (stereo doesn't even play mp3s ). Please no flaming if you don't like how the system is set up, it's functional and I'm okay with that for now.

Pioneer DEH-P7300 Stereo

2 Pioneer TS-W1041C/DVC Subwoofers

Unknow Boss amp, 175x4 watts

Old 02-17-2011, 07:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

I would check out keeaudio.com. He is a sponsor on here and has really good customer service. He sells replacement and upgraded speaker packages and just about everything else.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was looking for some other members inputs, seriously anyone with any good speaker, amp and stereo systems chime in please
Old 02-18-2011, 02:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

50 views and nothing?
Old 02-18-2011, 06:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think people may not be posting because there were several threads this week on system preferences. Also, like mentioned above, Kee will give you good advice, especially if you want really good sound or are looking at a higher end unit.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:24 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually your system was a top notch system 10 years ago. That's a Premier Pioneer unit that is better then the standard Pioneer units were. Those subs were pretty good back then as well.
Do those enclosures have a back?? It kind of looks like they don't but you can never tell from pictures like that. If not that would help immensely with bass response. If so your good!
I would look at a newer Pioneer unit, JVC, or Kenwood. They will match your interior illumination better making it more subtle and appear more stock. The other cool thing is that most of the units I would consider have USB inputs. The USB inout allows you to use a thumb drive with your music on it without the need for an actual player and will display the album info on screen. Sound will improve slightly. The unit you have actually should sound pretty good depending on the speakers and how it is laid out.
I would consider improving the amp possibly as well but a newer HU will help bring you into the "now" with multimedia options and flexibility. After that you can figure out a direction to go. Possibly upgrade for the doors.
A good way to focus importance is head unit first because that will be the source of all your sound, then front speakers, then sub. Amplification can have a multitude of options so how you want to power them after that becomes a consideration. The worry about rear speakers after you have the other stuff so you can figure if you need rear fill.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm definitely planning on buying your speaker set up when I have the money, currently the sub behind my seat is missing and one of the last 6 owners decided to rewire up a crappy jvc coaxial into the door (which is blown) and they cut the tweeter somewhere as well. I will be rewiring a factory speaker back and reconnecting the factory tweeter. What do you think about the dsx line of Sony head units? I like that it can hide the ipod into the head unit and I don't have the need for cds since all my music is on my ipod. Yes the sub enclosures have a back but I will probably be making new ones since they are particle board and have gotten a little wet over the years and are flaking a little
Old 02-19-2011, 07:19 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's cool, your enclosures will work well for what you are doing then. Just use the same design using MDF and you will be in good shape.
The new Sony's are awesome. I am quite impressed with the DSX line. They also have a good EQ for tuning flexibility. I am looking into those right now as well because of how well they work with iPods.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the help! One last question, any amp recommendation for my subs? Or at least certain features to look for when buying one? I can plug all of this stuff up but I don't know how to optimize what I currently have.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:06 PM
On The Tree

Well that boss amp has to go. Cheapest amp I would go with is a performance technique(which is what i have 1500watt). Kickers are pretty cheap and they hit hard. The next step up from the kicker subs to me would be the JL audios. two 10 JLs would be fine. Kickers id have 12s. As for specs id have to chec in my car, cant do that right now because its gettin some goodies at the shop!

p.s. 1500 watt amp and up

Quick Reply: Audio Equipment Upgrades