Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3M Di-Noc Carbon

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3M Di-Noc Carbon

Anyone use this stuff on there cars? I seen they have a glossy version and was thinking of doing the sail panel in it. It might be kinda ricey but it beats the dull, scratched, and clearcoat flaking finish I have now.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why not get one of 6LEs real carbon fiber sail panels?

Either way, if you do it, get REAL Di-Noc. Not the cheap ****. The real stuff doesn't come in a glossy version. The 3M Di-Noc is supposed to be good for up to 5 years I think outdoors. If you do it though, make sure you get the 3M Tape Primer 94 to make sure the ends don't come up and finger.

Oh, and somewhere on here, a guy did the taillight filler panel on his Camaro in it. Didn't look half bad. Would have looked 10x better had he used 1 piece.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I found this and figured it was the same 3m di noc http://www.stickercity.com/3M-Di-Noc...nch-Sheet.html Since its not the Di-Noc how do you guys think the sail will look with a matt finish?
Old 02-18-2011, 02:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got some links for ya.

Pics on page 3, but read through all the comments.

http://www.gtoforum.com/f41/3m-carbon-fiber-wrap-26507/

This was mentioned, apparently it's better than the 3M:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_2468wt_1008

Apparently, if you don't have a heat gun, there's no point in even attempting it. Maybe a hot blow dryer would help, but not sure. Overall everyone seems to think that it's a pain in the *** to work with, but there's definitely some pretty good results out there with the product, if you can work well with it.

Good luck!
Old 02-18-2011, 03:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98 WS6
Got some links for ya.

Pics on page 3, but read through all the comments.

http://www.gtoforum.com/f41/3m-carbon-fiber-wrap-26507/

This was mentioned, apparently it's better than the 3M:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_2468wt_1008

Apparently, if you don't have a heat gun, there's no point in even attempting it. Maybe a hot blow dryer would help, but not sure. Overall everyone seems to think that it's a pain in the *** to work with, but there's definitely some pretty good results out there with the product, if you can work well with it.

Good luck!
Umm...Yea...Thats a fabric...Not gonna work so well for the exterior of his car.

Also, a heatgun isn't necessary. A simple hairdryer will more than suffice.

As far as the link goes, or what your talking about, I'm not really sure...The link doesn't work. True 3M Di-Noc only comes in the matte finish, so there isn't any gloss finish to be had. If its glossy, its not real Di-Noc. Just keep that in mind.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:39 AM
12 Second Club

I used some to wrap a couple interior pieces. Then decided it wasnt all it was cracked up to be & scrapped the idea. The pieces I wrapped held up for about a week before the 3M started to release from the plastic. It might have held if I had used a adhesive with the material.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the more i read on this stuff the more I think that this is a bad idea. Maybe a I will a get a little of this stuff and wrap something small to see if I like it.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRHGoPnT9ag
Old 02-18-2011, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 94T/A5.7LT1
the more i read on this stuff the more I think that this is a bad idea. Maybe a I will a get a little of this stuff and wrap something small to see if I like it.
If you use the Tape Primer 94, you won't have the same problems Big Mike had. Its actually really nice looking if done right.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I ordered a little bit of it today to see if I like it in person. Just not too sure how a low gloss carbon would look on the sail panel. Seeing oter cars roof with it looks good though
Old 02-18-2011, 05:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmmm, that looks like it would work well for covering out fickle fickle dash pads lol
Old 02-22-2011, 11:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I ordered some of the stuff last week and got a little bit in today. So I decided to try the stuff on a couple things. First was I wrapped my laptop in it and I also did the radio bezel. Overall Im very impressed with the Di-Noc. At first I was little skeptical about it since its a very stiff vinyl. But once you add a little heat it really becomes more soft and stretches very nice. Another thing neat about it is that once it cools down it forms to what you stuck it too and hardens up a bit. On a bad note since it takes very little heat to become soft I dont know how well it would hold up in summer heat.

Radio Bezel

laptop

The color of the carbon is a lot lighter in the pictures. At certain angles in person it looks straight black.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:14 PM
TECH Addict

^Looks great! When i was looking into this stuff a while ago the vinyl itself seemed to have no complaints but the glue seemed to not last in the summer times of places that had pretty hot summers like texas. Not sure if there was ever anything amazing that was found or not..
Old 02-23-2011, 12:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Mighty Texan
^Looks great! When i was looking into this stuff a while ago the vinyl itself seemed to have no complaints but the glue seemed to not last in the summer times of places that had pretty hot summers like texas. Not sure if there was ever anything amazing that was found or not..
You people must not listen... I must have said it 3 times in this thread alone...3M TAPE PRIMER 94! That around the edges will help...Damn.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:30 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by squee
You people must not listen... I must have said it 3 times in this thread alone...3M TAPE PRIMER 94! That around the edges will help...Damn.
You'd need more than just around the edges. I did a door handle bezel & it came up within a week in the entire recessed area. Once it started to let go it took no time to look like ****. I'd have had to coat the entire piece in the primer for it to hold. Around the egdes might work for a completely flat surface but if its contoured its gonna take more than that.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What is this tape primer? Is it just adhesion promoter?
Old 02-23-2011, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
You'd need more than just around the edges. I did a door handle bezel & it came up within a week in the entire recessed area. Once it started to let go it took no time to look like ****. I'd have had to coat the entire piece in the primer for it to hold. Around the egdes might work for a completely flat surface but if its contoured its gonna take more than that.
True. I failed to mention that, but not many pieces are contoured like that. Personally, I'd just use it over the whole thing most likely just to be safe.

Originally Posted by 94T/A5.7LT1
What is this tape primer? Is it just adhesion promoter?
Google is your friend...
Old 02-23-2011, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I used this stuff in my computer mouse to test the durability of it. Since its constantly touched. Its been 6 months now with no delamination and the appearence has not changed a bit. I thought constantly being touched would erode away the texture and it would get shiney, but not the case at all. Thourough prep is your friend here guys, especially on interior panels that have likely had some kind of protectent apllied regularly . Plastic is porus At the very minimum I would scrub interior panels with dawn dish soap, then apply the adhesion promotor. I myself would scuff the surface with 400 sandpaper then wash , the promotor . Apply right and it should last.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So I googled the 3m tape primer and found out that its not for sale in the state of California. What else could I use since I live in CA? I tried finding an alternative but came up with nothing.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:33 PM
TECH Resident

Order it online and have it shipped to ya man.....IT'll hold up in the sun I've used this in countless stereo builds, even some exterior parts on cars.....YES IT LOVES heat

Quick Reply: 3M Di-Noc Carbon