Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Amplifier Replacing

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 02:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amplifier Replacing

Hi people I have a 1995 Pontiac Firebird Formula and I have the 10 speaker system built into the car. I know the factory amplifier is located in the rear sail panel of the passenger seat but I was wondering. are the wires from the stereo connected to the factory amplifier and sending signals to all the speaker locations? And can I remove the wires and amplifier and connect the wires to an aftermarket amplifier to avoid any rewiring of speakers? Its less of a hassle if it can be done this way and saves me time and trouble.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:48 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

The pre-Monsoon 10-speaker premium audio system in Firebirds had an amp that powered only the sail panel subs and also included a low-pass filter for the signal. It took speaker-level input rather than the low-level signal used by most aftermarket amps. Basically the answer is no, you can't use the wiring at your factory amp to connect an aftermarket amp to your speakers.