New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want 400whp 98-99 or 00-02 Camaro/Firebird? Need a base to start from.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 10:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Question I want 400whp 98-99 or 00-02 Camaro/Firebird? Need a base to start from.

Ok guys,
First off, please forgive me if that’s has been asked over and over. I’m in the process of searching but wanted to ask you guys anyways as I do not have a ton of time to research right now.

I have found several Camaros and a few Firebirds. All have 90k+ on them and very in price accordingly. There are some lower millage ones but so far they are all at a high price. I plan to wait for a killer deal to snag a low millage or ridiculously cheap vehicle. Before I make my purchase I want to be better informed for the goal I want to reach.

My question is how hard would it be to get 400whp out of a 98-99 or an 00-02 Either Camaro or Firebird. From what I understand the 00-02 Have the LS6 intake as well as marginally better flowing headers. This vehicle WILL be an M6, I’m done with autotragics.

This vehicle will be my DD and I would like to get just north of 20mpg if it’s still possible. If not then I’m already used to it(had a Jeep).

All I can think of is (in this order)
SLP Lid
Long Tube Headers (unsure of brand)
Full dual 2.5” exhaust (no cats)
Cam (I have no idea right now)
Tune from a local shop

I estimate this to cost me around $3500-$4000. I’m probably wrong but it gives me a point to shoot for. I have no idea what power I would be making with these mods but I will guess 380hp to the wheels?

All the wrenching will be done by me and a friend. I am fairly mechanically inclined, and my friend used to build high HP motors for fun.

Thanks for any and all help!

Feel free to flame, Bash, make fun of, or help I can take it all. It’s only the interweb.

Edit: I do realize I will have to upgrade the drive train accordingly as it will not last long.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:31 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Max78
All I can think of is (in this order)
SLP Lid
Long Tube Headers (unsure of brand)
Full dual 2.5” exhaust (no cats)
Cam (I have no idea right now)
Tune from a local shop

I estimate this to cost me around $3500-$4000. I’m probably wrong but it gives me a point to shoot for. I have no idea what power I would be making with these mods but I will guess 380hp to the wheels?

.....Edit: I do realize I will have to upgrade the drive train accordingly as it will not last long.
You have basically answered your own questions and are on the right track. You know already what the cars weak points are as far as the rear end. As far as how long it will last will depend on transmission and driving habits street/strip use ect.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:34 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Scoobysnacks
You have basically answered your own questions and are on the right track. You know already what the cars weak points are as far as the rear end. As far as how long it will last will depend on transmission and driving habits street/strip use ect.
Well that’s good to hear. I just wanted to post this to make sure my estimates are not way off.

Thank you for responding!
Old 02-18-2011, 10:48 AM
Launching!

There is a lot of good information on this site I have learned a TON. I bought my 02 camaro in September and look where I am already, I am just concentrating on suspension/drivetrain mostly right now since my plans are to be a mostly strip car. The other mods I have and items waiting for install (besides the s60) I have were due to good deals at the time.

Wait for the good deal on the car. I got mine loaded with 68k on it from a guy in his late 60's, never modded(beleive me I looked everywhere for signs and found NOTHING) for 9,500 and the guy took really good care of it, it looks brandy new

As far as cams(especially cams) and other mods go, when the time comes make your own choice. Everyone is going to tell you the cam they have is the best. Talk to your tuner about what your plans/goals are and they can guide you in the right direction.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:06 AM
On The Tree

To make 400rwhp you will basicly need full bolt ons (lid, headers, full exhaust, LS6 intake, I can't remember the rest if any its been a long time sense I was just at that point lol)
For a cam you will need something in the low to mid 230s duration. That will get you pretty close.
I know with the previous mention parts and a set of Pattriot 243 heads you will make around 440-450ish at the wheels.
Then you can strap on a small shoot of spray and spray you way up to 500 if you like. Some guys get scarred of nitrous, but it has never bothered me as long as you tune is correct it will last for years.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It doesnt matter what year to get, they all put down about the same numbers. 01-02 cars have the LS6 intake so theres a slight advantage, unless you plan on doing a FAST.

It probably wont get 20mpg(im assuming your talking city driving), but close if you can keep your foot out of it. Mine gets 17-19 as long as I drive normal. Highway should be 25+.

Your cost estimates seem right. And good idea doing the work yourself. Thats half the fun and you will be amazed at how much you learn.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:27 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the responses guys.

By 20+mpg I meant highway, I expect city to be rather low as it is still a v8 and I still have a heavy foot .

I will have to find a local reputable shop that tunes these LS cars and get some information from them as well.

I am not afraid of the bottle by any means, but for starters want constant power whenever I want. I might add it later on though.

I might have found a good clean 98 Z28 with 119k that might take $4500. That would keep me from having to make payments as that is all I currently have saved up. But I will wait a few weeks and see what comes around.

My dad wants me to wait and find one that has already been built, but I say if it has been built for power than it was raced as well. I want to find a mint one if at all possible and build it up myself.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

I don't think there are to many stock ones left out there lol.
The ones that are stock are most likely going to be special cars like a 35th SS etc.
But as long as you find a bolt on car that runs good you will be good to go.

My brother and I hunted a while and found his TA, I believe it had somewhere in the mid 70s for milage an I think he have 7500 for it a couple of years ago. It was fun bolt ons and suspession. Very nice car.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4500 for 119k isn't too bad, if the car is solid, I would try talking him down a slight bit and let the modding begin.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

with a 2000 fbody with 241 heads,a EPS cam can make 400+rwhp and still get 20+mpg hwy.you can get some PAC springs and good push rods and every thing you need for a cam swap from TSP.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i make 723rwhp and 773rwtq, and get 21-22mpg on the highway. so to answer your question, with the proper selection and combination of parts, your goals are very attainable with any year car.

Quick Reply: I want 400whp 98-99 or 00-02 Camaro/Firebird? Need a base to start from.