Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Test for re-using blocker rings?

Old 02-18-2011, 01:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test for re-using blocker rings?

Hello, i am in the middle of rebuilding a t56 from a 2000 firebird. I bought it a few months ago from a member on here and neither of us know the trannies history. I am wondering if anyone has any info on a test for the blocker rings to see if they can be re-used. I have the t56 manual, but I recall someone posting a procedure with pictures, but don't know where i found it; I've been looking for hours.

The procedure involved putting machinists bluing onto the "race" region on the gear that the blocker ring rides on. Then you put the blocker ring on and rotate it one revolution to see how much material had been touching that face. Other than that, I don't know the specifics of the test if anyone could help me out, thanks.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:30 PM
Banned

Typically I set the ring up on the gear and eye ball it for clearance. Granted, I've done a whole bunch of them so I know what it should look like. 95% of the units I mess with get new syncro frictions and rings. Its just too much work to change them after its been built and installed in the car, especially the ones that go in the Corvettes.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.transmissiondigest.com/te...oStandards.htm

Is the article about it.. You have the idea correct, just make sure the dry blocker removes all the dye. A must for testing double and triple cone synchros.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:30 PM
Staging Lane

thesource, I know what you mean, i should just replace them but as you know my main shaft 5/6 gear is going to have to be replaced eventually, so im hoping to save my pennies and reuse the blocker rings until i have to tear it apart again. Thanks 85MikeTPI, thats not the exact site/thread i saw, but thats the same procedure, which is all that matters!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Test for re-using blocker rings?