Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would I be pushing it???

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Would I be pushing it???

I know that "safe" is always used theoretically when you are talking nirtous. But I`ve been giving some thought to a 5177 kit (you know, to keep up with the Turbo Neons) and had a few questions you guys might be able to help me with. Would I be "safe" (there is that word again) running a 100hp dry shot on a H/C motor with stock fuel system, 100 octane unleaded and between 32*-34* of advance? Or would I be pushing the limits of the stock fuel system? For the record, Stage II LS6`s 59cc (11:1), 228/228 .588 112 +2* I`d like to not have to spring for a timing device (i.e. Timing Tuner) right now if I could get away with it, just to keep the budget resonable this early in the season. What do ya think?
Old 02-14-2004, 09:04 AM
10 Second Club

you're pushing it. Upgrade your injectors and fuel pump...If you autotap you'll see that your injectors are either at 100% duty cycle or real close on the dry shot w/the HC.
You could just upgrade the fuel pump and run a wet shot.
Old 02-14-2004, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply. I wasn`t sure if the `02 injectors would be up to the task or not. After doing a couple of searches, it seems like that may be WAY too much timing also. Can anyone touch up on this area for me?
Old 02-14-2004, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

A good rule of thumb is to RETARD your timing 2-3 degrees for every 50 shot you use. Normal full timing on an ls1 is around 28 degrees so a good starting point is around 22-24 degrees. I would run a WET shot because it hits harder. You can run a 100 wet shot on the stock fuel pump but it is marginal on anything above that. A good rule of thumb is the stock fuel pump can support around 500RWHP but no more. Since a dry shot depends on you fuel injectors to supply the extra fuel, they will be working TOO hard if you try to run a 100 dry shot on top of say a NA 425RWHP setup.

Originally Posted by 02 Silver Z
I know that "safe" is always used theoretically when you are talking nirtous. But I`ve been giving some thought to a 5177 kit (you know, to keep up with the Turbo Neons) and had a few questions you guys might be able to help me with. Would I be "safe" (there is that word again) running a 100hp dry shot on a H/C motor with stock fuel system, 100 octane unleaded and between 32*-34* of advance? Or would I be pushing the limits of the stock fuel system? For the record, Stage II LS6`s 59cc (11:1), 228/228 .588 112 +2* I`d like to not have to spring for a timing device (i.e. Timing Tuner) right now if I could get away with it, just to keep the budget resonable this early in the season. What do ya think?
Old 02-14-2004, 11:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by sr71bb
I would run a WET shot because it hits harder..
I get SO tried of hearing that. It is tuning! Everything else you say is true.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I like the dry kits for mainly one reason, there simple. That is kinda the direction I`ve taken in every aspect of my pursuit for "performance", if you will. One other reason also sticks in my head (I guess simply because it makes sense). I once heard some one say "LS1/LS6 intakes were designed to flow air....not fuel". Direct port kits are sweet but they are expensive and fairly complex, at least in my opinion. I know guys make great power and off the chart ET`s on wet kits. It`s just not the route I want to go right now. So, that said, if I wanted to run a 100hp dry shot in it`s simplest form on my current set-up, with some degree of reliability, I woud need: Biggger injectors, probably a bigger or in-line fuel pump, less timing and some TR6`s. And this is taking into consideration of the unleaded race fuel? By the way, thanks again for the help fellas.