Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

6.0 build Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 12:05 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 6.0 build Suggestions

Hey guys i have finally been convinced to join the LS world. I have been stuck with the old style engines. I have a buddy that has a ls1 in a S-10 running some mid 8's and have a buddy that is the one that convinced me to jump into the LS world when he built a LS1 engine to go in his cutlass. He did it just to prove a point to me and my other buddies. But anyway i am wanting to build a 6.0 engine and want to be somewhere in the low 9's to mid 8's. The engine is goin into a 2000 firebird. Or am i going backwards trying to build the 6.0 engine. I would love the help guys
Old 02-21-2011, 03:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by weezy1012001
Hey guys i have finally been convinced to join the LS world. I have been stuck with the old style engines. I have a buddy that has a ls1 in a S-10 running some mid 8's and have a buddy that is the one that convinced me to jump into the LS world when he built a LS1 engine to go in his cutlass. He did it just to prove a point to me and my other buddies. But anyway i am wanting to build a 6.0 engine and want to be somewhere in the low 9's to mid 8's. The engine is goin into a 2000 firebird. Or am i going backwards trying to build the 6.0 engine. I would love the help guys
6.0 LS1 is a good start for a cheap build but you have to remember that this block is heavy. With that being said you can build a pretty stout turbo motor out of it and you can go a little bigger on the bore size and build a 416ci. turbo/supercharged motor that would be good for alot of power. Good luck in your build.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You have a lot or research to do if you are shooting for mid 8's with a Gen IV car. Look over the sticky's in the Forced Induction section for starters.

Be prepared to spend a lot of money on engine, drivetrain and suspension to get this fast. 1000+ rwhp does not come cheap and is not easy on parts.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:51 AM
Teching In

6.0 LS1 is a good start for a cheap build but you have to remember that this block is heavy. With that being said you can build a pretty stout turbo motor out of it and you can go a little bigger on the bore size and build a 416ci. turbo/supercharged motor that would be good for alot of power. Good luck in your build.

You have a lot or research to do if you are shooting for mid 8's with a Gen IV car. Look over the sticky's in the Forced Induction section for starters.

Be prepared to spend a lot of money on engine, drivetrain and suspension to get this fast. 1000+ rwhp does not come cheap and is not easy on parts.

@odarabla thanks for the info i am planning on using nitrous instead of forced induction but i appreciate the help im hoping this forum helps me out for the most part during my research. I am going to research and research and accept ideas before i buy anything and start building. But i am open to any suggestions on a build and if 6.0 is not neccessary a good route let me know
Old 02-21-2011, 11:31 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by weezy1012001

@odarabla thanks for the info i am planning on using nitrous instead of forced induction but i appreciate the help im hoping this forum helps me out for the most part during my research. I am going to research and research and accept ideas before i buy anything and start building. But i am open to any suggestions on a build and if 6.0 is not neccessary a good route let me know
As stated above again just take out the turbo part and build a motor to handle the juice. My new motor was built to handle a 400 shot of spray but im only going to run a 200 shot on it. That should put me somewhere in the mid-hig 9's on the bottle.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:14 PM
Teching In

@odarabla i understand what u are saying. i know to take the forced induction off and sub with the nitrous. I just dont know what combo as far as parts to build and ls engine. Like i stated this LS world is all new to me. I am use to the old engines and jus now getting into the LS world. I know im prob makin myself sound dumb and getting on alot of people nerves.lol but thanks for the help everyone
Old 02-22-2011, 11:40 AM
TECH Addict

There are a dozen ways to get there, each with their own tradeoffs. Is this a race only build?
Do you have a budget?
Do you have anything now? (car, block, etc)
Old 02-22-2011, 11:41 AM
TECH Addict

Are you racing in a certain class? If so, post up the rules.
If not, the easiest advice is no replacement for displacement....except cubic dollars.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:32 PM
Banned

whats the weight difference between 6.0 and the 4.8..both are iron blocks right? If your going FI anyway would the 4.8 benefit in weight savings? and they are cheap and easy to find too