General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Exhaust R*A*T*T*L*E!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 02:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust R*A*T*T*L*E!!!!

All,

I've got a bad exhaust rattle. Seems to be coming from the right rear of the car. I seem to remember being able to find someone who had this and they replaced the exhaust hanger and it fixed the problem but now I can't find the write up...anyone know where to find the write up or know what else I should look at? The car has Supermaxx long tubes and hi flow cats, but the rattle started while it was all stock.

Thanks
Old 03-01-2011, 08:19 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its probably the pipe going over the rear... i had this issue on my 2000 v6 and my 02 z28
Old 03-01-2011, 08:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you take the heat shield off the pass side when you did the headers? I had a weird rattle and then after I installled headers it went away
Old 04-15-2011, 01:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 02 Camaro
Its probably the pipe going over the rear... i had this issue on my 2000 v6 and my 02 z28
I'll get under the car and look...was it hitting the rear end or what? How did you fix it?

Also should mention it's really noticable while in idle. The whole damn car feels like it's vibrating and it's really loud!

Thanks
Old 04-15-2011, 05:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which catback do you have? I have the Supermaxx headers as well, what a coincidence. Back when I had my catback connected to it with the OEM clamp, that clamp would occasionally come loose and rattle. What was odd was it sounded like it was coming from the rear even though that connection is sort of in the middle of the car. I have since had it welded there so that rattle is gone. Additionally, one time I had a rattle that turned out to be one of the bolts on the passenger side header to cat flange that loosened up.

The over axle pipe doesn't have a huge amount of space going over the axle and is close to its heat shield that runs over top of it. If you have stock diameter pipe then it is possible that the heat shield has gotten loose or that the passenger rear exhaust hanger mount is getting old and allowing the system to vibrate more. Check how tight the hanger is in the mount. If it is loose, go get a new one. There are just 2 bolts that hold it onto the chassis, it isn't hard to replace. If it is a loose heat shield, just try tightening the bolts to the heat shield.

I also have new an annoying rattle, but it is only really present around 37-41 in 4th with the converter locked. Haven't figured out where exactly it is. I have a Watts which makes you loose one of the stock attachment points for the gas tank heat shield so I am always suspicious that it is coming from there, even though I have rigged it to the Watts frame. However, I think with the way my 3 inch overaxle is shaped it might be hitting every once and a while when the exhaust vibrates a lot. I have wondered about maybe fabbing up a way to support the Y on the OEM trans exhaust mount and maybe put a flex pipe section in to isolate the rear of the exhaust from the front a bit.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:07 AM
TECH Resident

Get under the car and beat on the exhaust with your fist. You'll find it.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

I had the same rattle, and mine was the hanger where the pipe goes over the axle. It sounded HORRIBLE on start up or any accel/revs. My solution? Turn down right after the Y (I still have stock manifolds and cats so it's not horrible)

Old 04-21-2011, 02:14 PM
On The Tree

I have this same ****!
Old 05-16-2011, 03:54 PM

me too! it sounds like someones taking a jackhammer to my exaust behind my car. so hangers, rattling bolts, and lose heat shields? cant wait to get rid of this annoying rattling. its emarrassing!