General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Getting water in computer, how do I prevent this and replace plug pin connectors?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 03:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting water in computer, how do I prevent this and replace plug pin connectors?

Hey guys I've been getting water in only the top right plug connector of my computer. The gasket looks fine so I dont know how water is getting in. The water rotted 2 of the pin connectors in the top plug.Can I replace these?
Attached Thumbnails Getting water in computer, how do I prevent this and replace plug pin connectors?-imag0085.jpg   Getting water in computer, how do I prevent this and replace plug pin connectors?-imag0086.jpg   Getting water in computer, how do I prevent this and replace plug pin connectors?-imag0087.jpg  
Old 02-21-2011, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow Thats the first time I have seen this. I think the terminals are little bullet connectors You can pull that plastic cover off the top of the harness connector and see if you can remove it, when they are installed ther is a little barb that sticks out the side and the connector is pushed into the block. You may be able to remove it, You may also need to take a trip to the salvage yard and get some spare parts to practice with.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the advice, i'll give it a shot tomorrow. My car is throwing codes P1153, P0171, P0174, and P0332. Could they be from the corroded bullet connectors?

Also what do you think I can do to prevent water from getting back in there? Get new gaskets?
Old 02-22-2011, 11:19 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

You can get new seals, but the one in the picture looks fine.

The corrosion looks like the car was in a flood or something like that. Do you know the history of the car or has it been an unusually wet environment?
Old 02-23-2011, 06:34 PM
Save the manuals!

Here's an except from a GM TSB that I came across today. Do you know if your PCM was ever disconnected?

"KIT (P/N 12167313) CONTAINS ONE CONNECTOR SEAL. WHENEVER THE CONNECTOR IS UNBOLTED FROM THE ALUMINUM BODY OF THE PCM, THE SEAL CAN STICK TO THE BODY, OR MAY BE TWISTED. THIS SEAL SHOULD BE REPLACED WHENEVER THE CONNECTOR IS REMOVED IN SERVICE."
Old 02-23-2011, 08:40 PM
Launching!

It's a molex connector. You can get a special tool for cheap to remove the pins individually or you can attempt to do it with a small screwdriver (just push the locking tab in and pull it out) then you'll have to crimp on some new pins.

You can get the removal tool from almost any electronics store, probably even radio shack. It's easy to do, i used to use one when changing the molex connector on the power supply on computers.

I'm dealing with the same exact thing in the same exact location, top right, except mine isn't nearly as bad as yours. Going try to clean it out right now.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...it-up-wtf.html

Last edited by elwood2; 02-23-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:08 PM
Launching!

If you need to replace any of the pins in the PCM you can easily desolder unused pins in the PCM and solder them into place of the corroded pins. Just be sure to seal the holes with something in case the connector still leaks.

What i did for now since i didn't have anything to seal it was cut a piece of the old corroded pin and pushed it into the bare hole of the pin that i used to replace the good one. They used a thin layer of silicone and it seemed to be a pretty good seal against the pin.

Also, remember to disconnect the battery before messing with anything! Mine will be up and running as soon as i find a 10A mini-fuse!
Old 02-25-2011, 05:15 PM
Save the manuals!

New seals are $10. GM says that anytime you disconnect the PCM, you should put new seals on.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:54 PM
Launching!

I paid $11 per seal (the TSB said it comes with one seal), $30 shipped. Not many online places have it.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

Hmm, where can you find these seals?
Old 03-01-2011, 10:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the problem of the water getting on the pcm also. I watched what was happening after I washed the car and noticed that the water is rolling off of the plastic cowl right onto the pcm. To prevent this, I hillbillied it by covering a bag around the pcm when I washed it or when it was soposed to rain until I could finish making a custom pcm cover. I have not had the problem since. The cowl area on these cars is poorly designed. Any water that does fall over the pcm rolls off the cover and down the inner fender leaving the computer completely dry. Someone used to make pcm covers, but I never found where, or any pics, so I decided to make one myself.

mark jr.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:51 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BlackDuk98
I had the problem of the water getting on the pcm also. I watched what was happening after I washed the car and noticed that the water is rolling off of the plastic cowl right onto the pcm. To prevent this, I hillbillied it by covering a bag around the pcm when I washed it or when it was soposed to rain until I could finish making a custom pcm cover. I have not had the problem since. The cowl area on these cars is poorly designed. Any water that does fall over the pcm rolls off the cover and down the inner fender leaving the computer completely dry. Someone used to make pcm covers, but I never found where, or any pics, so I decided to make one myself.

mark jr.
Make me one too!
Old 03-02-2011, 11:07 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by AgentLS1Z
Hmm, where can you find these seals?
Any GM dealer or at an online dealer.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BlackDuk98

mark jr.
I had the same problem, and the same solution. I bought a new pcm and made my own cover out of an old computer tower (Cut a piece out of the side) and slid over the pcm. Been good since.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Old 06-30-2014, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Ive taken my PCM out a few times and never changed the seals... but then again I have a cover over the PCM...
Old 06-30-2014, 05:14 PM
12 Second Club

I don't believe the gaskets are available from ANYONE anymore (not even Hawks Third Gen!) .

I just took some flexible plastic sheeting, cut out slots for the harness wire bundles, and slid it over the computer.
Works fine, but does not look up to most on here's garage queen standards.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Any pics daily driver
Old 06-30-2014, 11:23 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by dailydriver
I don't believe the gaskets are available from ANYONE anymore (not even Hawks Third Gen!) .

I just took some flexible plastic sheeting, cut out slots for the harness wire bundles, and slid it over the computer.
Works fine, but does not look up to most on here's garage queen standards.
I entered the part number posted above, by wssix99, into GM Parts Direct's online order screen, and it came up as a valid number that could be ordered.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:17 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I entered the part number posted above, by wssix99, into GM Parts Direct's online order screen, and it came up as a valid number that could be ordered.
Thanks!

The dealers all told me it was NOT available without ordering the WHOLE harness assembly (maybe not even then!!), and Rock Auto does not even list it anywhere.

Quick Reply: Getting water in computer, how do I prevent this and replace plug pin connectors?