Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80E problems please help

Old 02-21-2011, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4L80E problems please help

the problem started when I noticed that my hot post on my battery was shorting out on my trans ECU housing. (dumb placement on my part) anyways, ever since then the trans will only go into drive if i push the truck forward a little. And even if it goes in it has no power. So I assume I fried the computer, but a buddy told me that if I disconnect the computer it should still go in and out of gear just fine. Is this right? Because I tried that and it still has the same problem. So what is the possibility that I messed something else up inside the tranny? I already ordered another computer from Speartech hoping that fixes it.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:27 PM

With no power to the trans you should have second gear starts. Reverse should be fine with or without power to the trans. How is the fluid level?
Old 02-21-2011, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

reverse is the only thing that seems to work fine, I havent tried starting out in second

the fluid is good, a hair too full if anything
Old 02-21-2011, 10:17 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bfrank79
reverse is the only thing that seems to work fine, I havent tried starting out in second

the fluid is good, a hair too full if anything
No, what Vince is saying, is the only forward gear you will have (even unplugged) is 2nd. No matter which forward gear position the shifter is in, it will be 2nd unless there is something mechanically wrong.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:27 PM
On The Tree

ok that would make sense since when it does go in gear it has no torque, and i guess that it explains why u have to push it to get it going with the 3200 stall in it. So does that tell me that i can rule it a ECU problem?
Old 02-22-2011, 05:26 AM

I would suggest getting the computer in the vehicle first and go from there. Hopefully you did not cook any wiring in the process and this will fix your issue. Vince
Old 02-25-2011, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

ok, I got the new computer in and still have the same problem. Sometimes it wont even go in reverse and sometimes it will with the computer hooked up. A trans guy at a local shop said it could be a bad solenoid. Any suggestions? It also is not throwing any codes at the current time.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:33 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bfrank79
ok, I got the new computer in and still have the same problem. Sometimes it wont even go in reverse and sometimes it will with the computer hooked up. A trans guy at a local shop said it could be a bad solenoid. Any suggestions? It also is not throwing any codes at the current time.
Reverse is independent of the computer. The PCM only controls 1-2-3-4.

Search this Thread