Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E and/or torque converter issues w/ my DD

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 06:52 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E and/or torque converter issues w/ my DD

Kill stories guys probably recognize my username, but i don't currently own anything LSx so i don't usually venture into the Tech areas. I have a built AWD Talon that runs 30+psi and an S10 as a DD.

It's a 2002 S10 with the 2.2L 4 cyl and auto trans, 127K miles.

Two nights ago it went into gear a little rough after a cold start, but otherwise ran fine so i didn't think anything of it.

Yesterday morning i backed out of my driveway, again cold, and the truck didn't really want to move. The converter went almost up to the stall speed, and the truck was rolling along at 2 mph. When i put it in drive, it went in so hard the truck stalled. I restarted it and drove it gently for a few minutes, as it got up to temp everything ran normally. It seemed like it took a long time for the converter to lockup at highway speeds, but other than that it shifted fine.

This morning it seems to be getting worse. I let it warm up for a few minutes before i left, and it took going all the way to the flash point of the converter to get the truck rolling. It gets better as things get to temp, but now the RPMs are fluctuating slightly at cruise. With the throttle held steady, speed steady, they rise and fall a couple hundred RPMs in 4th gear when the TC should be locked.

It seems like mostly a TC issue, at this point the trans shifts fine. What's strange is it seems to move better starting off in 2nd gear, which doesn't make much sense to me.

I checked the fluid while hot and it is about an inch above where it should be, but it's also aerated. The fluid has about 25K miles and looks normal in color, besides the bubbles/foamy appearance.

I have limited experience with autos/TCs, and the DSM is in pieces at my parents' house an hour away (i'm in college, renting a house without a garage) so i can't use that to get me by right now. I need to get this sorted out quickly to get to work/school, so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt