Anyone hiring in the DFW area?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 01:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Anyone hiring in the DFW area?

Hey guys help a guy out? Here's the story

18 years old, moved from CA at the end of December after living on my own, worked a day job and night job and full time school 5 days a week while there. Live with my family in Texas now to continue college and ease my financial burden.

I've been looking for a job but to no avail. I'm trying to find something better than minimum wage (7.25 TX vs 8.00 CA) and I can adapt to a new job pretty quick. I was a good student in high school, I'm not an idiot jackass who can't get a job done, and I'm more of a jack of all trades, not so much of master of one. Any of you hiring or know someone that's hiring in the DFW area? I'm running out of options big time. I start school (hopefully) next month on the 21st and I'll be working a full time school load and working, the next 1.5 years are going to be extremely work oriented. I'm aiming to get back to CA for a university next year and the only way I'm gonna do this is by working my *** off so you know I'm motivated

If anyone has any leads, I'd love to hear about them! I keep seeing job openings for body shops in Ft. Worth (Im closer to Ft. Worth than Dallas but dont mind a commute) but I can't apply because I don't have any experience. Anyone know how one can get experience working in a car shop without having experience to gain experience (If that makes any sense )

I have a resume as well.

Thanks guys!

PS: Not sure if this matters but I do have a case of Photophobia , which means my eyes are fairly sensitive to light so I wear sunglasses a lot , but for a job I would be willing to suck it up for a shift each day Some employers have thought I'm just some teenagers trying to look cool or something. If that was the case, I wouldn't wear them indoors depending on the place...
Old 02-22-2011, 02:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a job at NTB, Firestone, Kwik Kar, etc.... You can make $10 a hour and it will be pretty easy and you will be able to build a resume of some sorts. Living in TX is a lot cheaper than CA so don't get fixated on a $$ amount.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ulakovic22
Get a job at NTB, Firestone, Kwik Kar, etc.... You can make $10 a hour and it will be pretty easy and you will be able to build a resume of some sorts. Living in TX is a lot cheaper than CA so don't get fixated on a $$ amount.
Do they require any experience or will they train? I don't really NEED the training, but I have no way to verify my knowledge to them. I'm fixated on the money amount because I have a set number I want to save up in a year and a half for when I do go back to California. I'm planning to work my *** off in school to get as many scholarships as possible and my parents said they'll do what they can for college, but I'll likely be stuck paying for most of my living costs. Several friends have off campus housings apartments with other friends and the cost is about

$500 a month for rent and utilities
$150-$200 for food (each person buys their own food)
I'm gonna say ~$100 on transportation since I will likely carpool a lot or walk or take the municipal systems with friends
and for anything I havent thought of like personal items misc ~$150 a month

Hopefully I can get pell grants or something to fund some of that but if not I'm looking at roughly 1k a month for living. I'll have a job there too to ease some of the cost so assuming I make (pulling out a ballpark figure number here) $700 a month from a part time job in college, which sounds reasonable, I need to have $300 a month leftover earned from Texas. 9 months in school = at LEAST $2700 a year. Then there are unexpected expenses like car maintenance items, personal expenses, and other things that tend to nickel and dime to death (insurance...). So im gonna say to give me a comfortable bit of breathing room, $4500 a year. Two years of that, $9000. I'm sure I can make that much but in that time I'd also like to, if possible, pick up a nice black TA for college.

I suppose if I did that I could sell my current bird (kinda hard to do that, so much sentimental value ) for ~5k.

Come to think about it, my goal is to make ~25k in 1.5 years time, working and doing school. Sounds like a long shot but there are guys who do it and I want to be one of them Man I wish I was older and could work a better job for better money like most of you guys do haha
Old 02-22-2011, 02:52 PM
TECH Resident

How many hours you looking to work a week?

Yes they train and you will be temporary until you prove yourself. I would also look into a grocery working in the foods/non-foods dept. It doesn't require any training to stock shelves and if you apply yourself then you can move up the night crew fast to night manager and then move to days. You may end up with a career in Grocery/Retail/Marketing. That's the path I almost took before I met a friend that needed some help doing data entry in Accounting. That ended up being great to get in the door and led to other things for me.

BTW when I was 18 I was in JuCo, working part time night stocking during b-ball season. After the season I went back to my summer job full time in the meat dept at Tom Thumb making 13.25 an hour. When school was out I got that FT job in Accting during the day and then I worked PT on the night crew. The hours were insane and I couldn't keep it up for long, made lots of money though.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ulakovic22
How many hours you looking to work a week?

As many as it takes. I haven't got a schedule solidified for school next month yet, wish they'd hurry up with my admission application. Once I know that I can have a better idea

Yes they train and you will be temporary until you prove yourself. I would also look into a grocery working in the foods/non-foods dept. It doesn't require any training to stock shelves and if you apply yourself then you can move up the night crew fast to night manager and then move to days. You may end up with a career in Grocery/Retail/Marketing. That's the path I almost took before I met a friend that needed some help doing data entry in Accounting. That ended up being great to get in the door and led to other things for me.

Funny you mention that haha. I had actually considered doing the grocery store bit myself. These two brothers I went to school with for many years have been working with a grocery store since they turned 16 (Like literally, one of them managed to get his license and a job the day he turned 16, yet he still somehow gets a DUI and a suspended license for a year)

That same guy moved from Albertsons about a year ago to Whole Foods then got his brother a job there. He became a manager some months ago and I assumed the pay was pretty good, especially considering the store. I asked him some questions about it he said his pay sucks and he hates the job but can't find a new one and to avoid it at all costs. I think he might be exaggerating but I left it at that. Might give it another look though

BTW when I was 18 I was in JuCo, working part time night stocking during b-ball season. After the season I went back to my summer job full time in the meat dept at Tom Thumb making 13.25 an hour. When school was out I got that FT job in Accting during the day and then I worked PT on the night crew. The hours were insane and I couldn't keep it up for long, made lots of money though.

How was the accounting job? How much did it pay? What all did you have to do, or rather, what experience was needed? Sounds interesting. I've always thought data entry jobs would be a decent way to make some ok money without needing a ton of experience or skills. Long hours don't scare me, I'd often work from 1 PM to 6 AM every day in the weekends and a full time work throughout the week as well. As long as I can stay occupied and not have to the schedules cross over, I'm happy
Responses in bold
Old 02-22-2011, 04:29 PM
TECH Resident

The data entry job was $27.5K a year, same as what I made at the market, but I just had to sit there and apply checks to peoples accounts. Since it was a friend gig I didn't need any experience and just learned as I went. 10-key, general accounts payable/receivable experience, prob less than 1yr. would be normal. Also don't pass up on a job because you don't think you fit the experience criteria. Let the employer make that decision, don't pigeon hole yourself like that. If I only applied for jobs I was qualified for on paper, I would still be living at home probably.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

PM sent
Old 02-22-2011, 05:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

If u can handle the sunlight and don't mind being out of town 3-4 days a week call Fairway out door advertising off 635 and Plano rd talk to Jeff they were looking for a helper.works not bad but up high and pay is pretty good. They have a web site u can check out to learn about it

Originally Posted by eLiT3SnIpEz
Hey guys help a guy out? Here's the story

18 years old, moved from CA at the end of December after living on my own, worked a day job and night job and full time school 5 days a week while there. Live with my family in Texas now to continue college and ease my financial burden.

I've been looking for a job but to no avail. I'm trying to find something better than minimum wage (7.25 TX vs 8.00 CA) and I can adapt to a new job pretty quick. I was a good student in high school, I'm not an idiot jackass who can't get a job done, and I'm more of a jack of all trades, not so much of master of one. Any of you hiring or know someone that's hiring in the DFW area? I'm running out of options big time. I start school (hopefully) next month on the 21st and I'll be working a full time school load and working, the next 1.5 years are going to be extremely work oriented. I'm aiming to get back to CA for a university next year and the only way I'm gonna do this is by working my *** off so you know I'm motivated

If anyone has any leads, I'd love to hear about them! I keep seeing job openings for body shops in Ft. Worth (Im closer to Ft. Worth than Dallas but dont mind a commute) but I can't apply because I don't have any experience. Anyone know how one can get experience working in a car shop without having experience to gain experience (If that makes any sense )

I have a resume as well.

Thanks guys!

PS: Not sure if this matters but I do have a case of Photophobia , which means my eyes are fairly sensitive to light so I wear sunglasses a lot , but for a job I would be willing to suck it up for a shift each day Some employers have thought I'm just some teenagers trying to look cool or something. If that was the case, I wouldn't wear them indoors depending on the place...
Old 02-22-2011, 07:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blown99bergerssclone
If u can handle the sunlight and don't mind being out of town 3-4 days a week call Fairway out door advertising off 635 and Plano rd talk to Jeff they were looking for a helper.works not bad but up high and pay is pretty good. They have a web site u can check out to learn about it
I normally wouldnt mind at all but I need to be in town for school, which is gonna be a full time thing as well. Trying to balance full time school and full time work
Old 02-22-2011, 09:15 PM
TECH Regular

Can you sell ice to an Eskimo?
Old 02-22-2011, 09:19 PM
TECH Resident

hahaha I love that term, gonna remember that one. I suppose I'm a decent salesman, I did a sales job for awhile back in August but I had just moved back to CA and was in desperate need or a more stable job that actually paid ya know. It all really depends on the product. Will you PM me with some more info on it? I know there are some college students who have made a killing in sales (some who are on this board actually)
Old 02-22-2011, 10:54 PM
TECH Regular

Pm me your number!