Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

USA SPEC PA11-GM45 ipod interface and the stock monson head unit??

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 09:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default USA SPEC PA11-GM45 ipod interface and the stock monson head unit??

have anybody used the RC AUX input in this thing. the ipod cable is working fine, but I cant figure out how to use the RCA AUX input. did anybody figure out how to use it???

Old 02-23-2011, 07:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar unit on my 2006 Grand Prix. If I recall, there is a DIP switch you need to set up correctly for the RCA plugs to work. I can't recall if you can use the iPod connector AND the RCA with the same switch setting.

http://www.usaspec.com/userfiles/edi...581PA11G45.pdf
Old 02-23-2011, 09:12 PM
Teching In

Question

Originally Posted by Cheap Guy
I had a similar unit on my 2006 Grand Prix. If I recall, there is a DIP switch you need to set up correctly for the RCA plugs to work. I can't recall if you can use the iPod connector AND the RCA with the same switch setting.

http://www.usaspec.com/userfiles/edi...581PA11G45.pdf
yeah, i did look into that, and did set up the DIP the way it says in the manual, when the RCA cable is connected I tried to press the aux button in the head unit several times but nothing appear to happen, it should take me as it says in the manual to CD 6 track 1
did you try to use the RCA port in this system?
Old 02-23-2011, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

if i remember correctly when i used this about 3 years ago theres a square switch on the other side of the spec and you have to switch it from ipod to aux
that could just be the old unit or my fail 16 year old memory
Old 02-23-2011, 10:21 PM
Teching In

Question

Originally Posted by Nando92
if i remember correctly when i used this about 3 years ago theres a square switch on the other side of the spec and you have to switch it from ipod to aux
that could just be the old unit or my fail 16 year old memory
but if that was the case and the head unit is old, why would it work with the ipod cable and not for the RCA?
Old 02-23-2011, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

becuase the switch is currently in the ipod setting not the RCA setting, let me see if i can find the old manual so i can help you out some more

yea i was right, dip switch #1 must be OFF to enable the RCA AUX
Ill post a picture of the page in the manual if you want
also be sure its PA11-GM45 becuase that pic above says toyota
Old 02-23-2011, 11:40 PM
Teching In

yeah, I have done that, DIP switch #1 to off position
lol, for the picture above, i took it from google search to explain what I was talking about and yes I'm sure what i have is PA11-GM45

hmmm, i'll try something tomorrow, since the head unit doesnt want to go to the cd changer mood with the RCA connected only, ill hook up the ipod and RCA at the same time and try to access CD6 track 1 to see if that would get me somewhere, I cant think of anything else. either this works or I will try to find another way to hook up AUX port to the monson head unit.

I appreciate your input on this and will let you know how would it go
Old 02-24-2011, 08:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KSA SS
yeah, i did look into that, and did set up the DIP the way it says in the manual, when the RCA cable is connected I tried to press the aux button in the head unit several times but nothing appear to happen, it should take me as it says in the manual to CD 6 track 1
did you try to use the RCA port in this system?
Yes, I used the RCA port when I had mine, but I remember also being able to use the iPod connector. When my family went total iPod (got rid of other MP3 players) I stopped using RCA.

I also have to add that I had to send a couple of faulty units back to the company and frankly the unit felt a little cheap for the price, but in fairness, it did work, and was the only decent solution for my 2006 Grand Prix with Bose and steering controls.

Just a recommendation...Unless you absolute have to stick with the stock Monsoon HU, I'd just swap out the HU for one that is iPod ready. Even a cheap HU will probably sound better than the stock HU, plus you'll have better iPod control.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:28 PM
Teching In

thats settles it, head unit will be swapped, thanks for your input

Quick Reply: USA SPEC PA11-GM45 ipod interface and the stock monson head unit??