Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Should i buy this 2000 t/a

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 04:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should i buy this 2000 t/a

Hey guys, I'm new here and posted a few other places so sorry for the repetition but i'm just trying to get as many opinions as possible. I test drove a 2000 t/a at a dealership the other day with 115k on it. Red, 6spd, t tops, leather. The dealer wants 5 grand for it and i live in the northeast so thats a low price. It has a flowmaster i beleive (dealer didn't know), i beleive eibach springs (dealer didn't know this either), and hurst shifter. The issues: blinkers don't work (stayed solid when you turned left or right), passenger window doesn't work, a lot of noise from rear end suspension but could be because of factory shocks, and the vents in the dash were missing on the drivers side. Shifting was nice and smooth and had no issues getting gears. Any opinions would be appreciated since im new to ls1's.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:28 PM
Launching!

Doesnt sound too bad. I had the same problem with the lights on my T/A when I bought it and it was just a bunch of burnt out bulbs. The window is probably just the motor (no biggie I replaced mine in about an hour) and the rear end noise could either be the crap 10 bolt or somethin easy to fix (LCA Bushings, Shocks, EL Bushings, Sway Bar Bushings,etc.). Its got alot of miles and most people nowadays dont do **** to their cars maintence wise so its all probably an easy fix. See if you can talk em down but 5000 doesnt sound too bad if its not a eyesore and is mechanically sound.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

No, it doesn't sound too bad unless you have no money in reserve. The car will likely need more repairs than what you are seeing. Most cars with over 100k miles sitting on used car lots have things wrong with them and you will need money to fix whatever it is. Nothing worse than a car purchase and then not having any $$ to make it right. Keep that in mind and good luck if you get the car.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:43 AM
TECH Addict

5k is too much, especially when you have to instantly put money/work into it
Old 02-25-2011, 07:56 AM
On The Tree

From the sounds of things you can do better. If i were you i would just hold out a bit longer for a better deal to come along. You may buy the car, then a few days later, a similarly priced car will come through that you could have bought that wouldn't require any "fixing" up.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow.. a car like that would cost 10k in Canada... and we built them..
Old 02-25-2011, 03:11 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rjlawlor646
Hey guys, I'm new here and posted a few other places so sorry for the repetition but i'm just trying to get as many opinions as possible. I test drove a 2000 t/a at a dealership the other day with 115k on it. Red, 6spd, t tops, leather. The dealer wants 5 grand for it and i live in the northeast so thats a low price. It has a flowmaster i beleive (dealer didn't know), i beleive eibach springs (dealer didn't know this either), and hurst shifter. The issues: blinkers don't work (stayed solid when you turned left or right), passenger window doesn't work, a lot of noise from rear end suspension but could be because of factory shocks, and the vents in the dash were missing on the drivers side. Shifting was nice and smooth and had no issues getting gears. Any opinions would be appreciated since im new to ls1's.
I also live in MA, worc area, and $5K for a car like that around here is pretty reasonable, id say if you have $5500 to spend, buy the car and use the extra 500 to put into the car for the blinker issue (could be as simple as a bulb) maybe 100 or so on a window motor, some new shocks/bushings and a few bucks on ebay for the vents and see what your left with... all the LS1 T56 4th gens ive seen in the Worc area and Boston area with around 100K miles on them are going for $6500 plus.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thats a reasonable price, ive seen dealers ask for 7 or 8 thousand, i would buy it the blinkers just need bulbs and window motors would have to be replaced any way if u would have bought it new or old.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:49 PM
Staging Lane

i got my 98 T/A with 50k miles for 7k in the northeast, you can do much better
Old 02-25-2011, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sounds a like a fair price but i believe you can do better search the clasifieds on here and keep looking dont just jump on the first thing you come upon especially if you have to instantly have to put money in it. good luck man
Old 02-26-2011, 06:07 PM
Launching!

(The issues: blinkers don't work (stayed solid when you turned left or right), passenger window doesn't work)

Is he selling it certified, these are safely issues and required to work by law? If he is willing to sell it legal you could always take it to a garage you know or a GM dealer, have a complete deficiency done and make that the condition of your purchase! Get it in writing or walk away.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:02 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by strokerrace
Doesnt sound too bad. I had the same problem with the lights on my T/A when I bought it and it was just a bunch of burnt out bulbs. The window is probably just the motor (no biggie I replaced mine in about an hour) and the rear end noise could either be the crap 10 bolt or somethin easy to fix (LCA Bushings, Shocks, EL Bushings, Sway Bar Bushings,etc.). Its got alot of miles and most people nowadays dont do **** to their cars maintence wise so its all probably an easy fix. See if you can talk em down but 5000 doesnt sound too bad if its not a eyesore and is mechanically sound.
how is that alot of miles honestly? mine has 167k on the clock and still running strong, im pretty sure the problem OP with the blinker is bulb(s), i had same thing happen, not a huge fix, but see how much they will fix, around where i am in missouri, all the t/a's are super expensive IMO i would be more worried about it if it was an automatic( ask me how i know ) but doesnt sound to bad at all to me
Old 02-27-2011, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a descent deal for $5000. I am surprised a dealer is trying to fix those issues and sell the car for a lot more..
Old 03-01-2011, 04:15 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Duplicate post

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...-firebird.html