Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

88 Coupe 5.3 Swap ?s

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 04:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 Coupe 5.3 Swap ?s

I have done several searches on lsx fox swap and the best info is on this site...I am new and actually going to go through with the swap. I have an 1988 Mustang LX Coupe...has nothing fancy on the 5.0...Best time to date is a 12.51@108...Anyhow my main question is the wiring harness...I plan on getting a complete 5.3 with harness and computer...In my area swaps like this are getting very very common..to common that people doing this say that there are only 2 wires that require power and motor should fire right up...How true is this...I want to do this right. Is the truck harness complicated and hard to mess with..Any help will greatly be appreciated...Thanks for your time .
Old 02-25-2011, 04:55 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I hear once modded, the wiring harness is made to just need a ground, constant and power on i believe, but i hate waiting and i am on a budget looking for the most power, so i did this to both of mine:

That is how i roll, LOL.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:55 AM

That looks pretty darn clean...how much will going carb set me back....
Old 02-25-2011, 08:07 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

'bout 20 years
Old 02-25-2011, 08:16 AM
Staging Lane

^^^he speaks the truth lmao^^^
Old 02-25-2011, 12:44 PM
In-Zane Moderator

I buy used carbs and or build them from cores, the top on is a proform 750 i traded a 30$ carb for, the bottom i built with a proform main, quick fuel base and the original carb was 60$ for the double pumper, but i wanted all the good ****.

So, carbs are anywhere from 250-700 or more new, just depends on what you get.

Stock 6.0 with a cam, carb and Victor junior, this was my 7.2 pass, they kicked me for no fire suit, but it if running 7.2 at 97 is a 20 year setback, the guys with fuel injection i beat up on must be 30 years back? LOL

Intake, 270$, ignition controller that hooks up with a positive and ground and wires directly to the cranks and cam sensor and controls the stock coils is 310$ and also provides full timing control via lap top or just use one of the 6 chips provided, it has 2 step rev control and nitrous retard built in, and there is a optional map sensor hook up that can be used for vacuum advance or boost retard.

So, other than that, you dont need some ******* tuning your car for you if you dont have HP tuners or know how to use it. But if you dont have a buddy that can help tune a carb, you are nearly in the same boat, LOL.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
So, other than that, you dont need some ******* tuning your car for you if you dont have HP tuners or know how to use it. But if you dont have a buddy that can help tune a carb, you are nearly in the same boat, LOL.
Sounds like instead you need years of knowledge from the school of skinned knuckles, I'd rather have some "*******" tune the **** out of my car. A good set of ears and reading spark plugs can only take a close minded fool so far.

"Nearly in the same boat", come on, maybe on the dragstrip, but thats it. You're light years behind in the dead of winter when you try to fire that carb'd bitch up on a 10 degree below zero morning OR when you hit the highway for a roadtrip and get 3/4 of the mileage of an efi equivalant engine. If its strictly a drag car and you can't accept technology in your life than carbs are fine, otherwise they shoulda been left behind with your last mullet.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:43 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Originally Posted by boostnut
Sounds like instead you need years of knowledge from the school of skinned knuckles, I'd rather have some "*******" tune the **** out of my car. A good set of ears and reading spark plugs can only take a close minded fool so far.

"Nearly in the same boat", come on, maybe on the dragstrip, but thats it. You're light years behind in the dead of winter when you try to fire that carb'd bitch up on a 10 degree below zero morning OR when you hit the highway for a roadtrip and get 3/4 of the mileage of an efi equivalant engine. If its strictly a drag car and you can't accept technology in your life than carbs are fine, otherwise they shoulda been left behind with your last mullet.
For one, there is some things that can be used on a carbed engine, reading plugs is for guys that have not heard of a thing called a wide band. I have one, dont you?

A carbed car can go on a dyno just as easily as a EFI car as well BTW.

I am in Houston, so below freezing weather doesnt happen too often, but when it DID this last few weeks, my car did fine, idles a bit rough for about a minute and that was that. If cold weather is really a factor, a choke is designed just for that.

But fuel economy? I get 20 MPG with my setup, can do better if i want as well if i chose to.

Seems you are talking out your *** and dont know anything about carbs, sorry you are lacking information on the subject.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:49 AM
In-Zane Moderator

My bad, judging by this, you are a bit behind:

Originally Posted by boostnut
So I've got a pullout assembly from an 02 camaro sitting in the garage & it needs to be seperated so I can put the engine on the stand (for now). I've got a variety of air & hand tools at my disposal along with the engine stand & cherry picker. May sound like an easy task to some but I'm lookin for advise. My biggest concern is disconnecting the torque converter from the flywheel, whats the trick? I'm assuming the engine is going to have to be turned over to access all of the bolts, whats the easiest way to do this? Thanks in advance for any tips!
You want to talk down on carbs but your monkey *** had to ask to figure out how to do this? **** man, you have allot of catching up to do in this world.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:56 AM
TECH Regular

You'll have to excuse my ignorance with Ls based engines, my previous experiences were with LC2's (turbo buick v6's) and carb'd sbc's. Things are a little different with the ls's but I'm sure you're well aware of all of the changes, I obviously don't have to 'splain them to a guy that knows everything. Furthermore, I'd never split an engine/trans while out of the car in the past, a totally different circumstance that doing it while installed.

Keep your carbs, don't matter to me but their not for everybody, don't need a pissing match with a know it all to prove that.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:34 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Honestly, it is no different between in car and out besides it might be laying on the ground. But like i said, both have advantages and disadvantages. As for the difference between a SBC and GEN III/IV, there arent many asides from rocker setup, everything else is pretty much along the same lines. Might look different but it is in general just another V8.

And your right, they are not for everyone, but i do not like anyone talking down on them like they are a waste of time. I dont know it all but i know my fair share.

Carbs are the budget master for performance.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm currently doing my first LS1 swap into a fox, I've always loved LS1's since their introduction just not the crappy cars they came in. I debated carb or EFI, but I really wanted to do another turbo once the LS1 is up and running N/A and I've familiarized myself with it. So since my motor came with a LS6 intake, EFI was the smart choice for this particular build. I plan on doing a low buck swap into another fox when this expensive one is done, as a beater/parking lot terrorist and I'm gonna carb that one. Mostly for simplicity, cost and making as much power as possible from a giant cam only 5.3 on the cheap/spin it till it floats the valves kind of mindset.

Quick Reply: 88 Coupe 5.3 Swap ?s