Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Oil Pressure Wire on Conversion Harness!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No Oil Pressure Wire on Conversion Harness!

It just occurred to me that the conversion harness for an 06 GTO LS2 I have on the 69 has no wire for an oil pressure gauge or water temp gauge. The harness is connected to the sender but where should the gauge connection be?

It's a Current Performance harness. All 9 wires to interface with the car are accounted for but there is no wire for an oil pressure gauge.

Any ideas?

Last edited by 69-er; 02-27-2011 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Added application and another gauge with no sender wires.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The PCM doesn't need the input for Oil Pressure to start/run the engine.

The OEM pressure wire goes to the BCM for the Gauges only..

Use a After market gauge & sensor or your 69 Sensor in place to your 69 dash gauge. Use an adapter if it will fit there or use the bypass plate above oil filter.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:15 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 69-er
It just occurred to me that the conversion harness I have on the 69 has no wire for an oil pressure gauge. The harness is connected to the sender but where should the gauge connection be?

It's a Current Performance harness. All 9 wires to interface with the car are accounted for but there is no wire for an oil pressure gauge.

Any ideas?
Yep. And my painless harness had no tach wire either. In my case I can't use the spot above the oil filter beacause of header clearance. I plan to replace the factory sender with aftermarket and turn the ecm off from looking for oil pressure. It should still run if it doesn't see it, but it might through a code and turn on the check engine light.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by futureuser
and turn the ecm off from looking for oil pressure. It should still run if it doesn't see it, but it might through a code and turn on the check engine light.
There's nothing to turn off dealing with oil pressure, as bczee stated, the PCM doesn't use the oil pressure sender for anything.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:58 AM
On The Tree

But, if the harness was modified with the pressure sender connector still intact, (The connector has their "Oil Pressure Sender" label on it) where is the other end of the wire? It has to go somewhere if not still buried in the harness.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:06 AM
On The Tree

Oh yeah, I also noticed 2 references of the sender being at the oil filter location. My sender and connector is where the typical Chevy V8 location has always been; in the back behind the intake.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

But, if the harness was modified with the pressure sender connector still intact, (The connector has their "Oil Pressure Sender" label on it) where is the other end of the wire? It has to go somewhere if not still buried in the harness.
I think F-Bodies may go to the PCM while I know trucks go to the dash / BCM. I can read oil pressure in HPT on my F-Body. The truck harnesses I have cut up had the oil pressure sensor going straight to the dash of the truck I didn't have so I removed it without issue.

Oh yeah, I also noticed 2 references of the sender being at the oil filter location. My sender and connector is where the typical Chevy V8 location has always been; in the back behind the intake.
To clear your confusion: the "typical SBC" location you refer to is where the factory sender is located. Most guys use the block off plate near the oil filter for an aftermarket sending unit because they are easy to remove, drill and tap for the proper NPT threads.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:09 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On F-bodies the oil pressure sensor ties directly in to the dash cluster on pin B14, this is on the ones with the 411 PCM's (2001 / 2002, but 1999 and 2000 should be the same) so there is no connection to the PCM, so if HPT is giving an oil presure reading, I don't know where it is getting it from. The oil level sensor ties in to the BCM on connector C1 pin 70, but this has nothing to do with the pressure
Old 02-27-2011, 07:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you try to contact Jared and ask him?
Old 02-27-2011, 07:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by philntx
Did you try to contact Jared and ask him?
Matter of fact, I did. Here's the communication:

Jared, I just realized a couple more things on this LS2 harness for the 06 GTO engine…

Your harness connects to the oil pressure sender and the water temp sender, but I don’t see anywhere on the harness where the outputs are to connect to gauges. Are the other ends of the wires going to the computer? How do I connect gauges to the engine?

Thanks again!

Larry

His response:

You are correct about the other end of the sensors going to the computer. On a factory vehicle, the oil and water temp gauges are controlled through the serial bus, there si no way to hook them up to aftermarket gauges. You will need to run the sending units specific to your gauges in order to make them work.

Jared
Current Performance Wiring
currentperformance.com

Here's what I wrote back yesterday:

So, I’m OK by disconnecting the existing sending wires? It won’t affect the way the engine runs?

Where do the old wires run to from the senders? I just need to get the signals from the new senders to the new gauges.

I thought maybe I could at least use the existing wires if they are not needed so I don’t have to run new wires. I could then connect the gauges to them along with the matching senders for the Dakota dash.

I hope I’m making sense here!

Haven't heard back from him yet.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well it depends if he has a gen III or IV.....

gen III your fine...

gen IV the sender goes to the ECM BN/WH pin #24 C1 on mine .......

But as stated, if not a gen IV, then it should not be a major issue...

the only reason why I posted because I did not see where he stated what engine or year he had....

Bozz
Old 02-27-2011, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bozzhawg
Well it depends if he has a gen III or IV.....

gen III your fine...

gen IV the sender goes to the ECM BN/WH pin #24 C1 on mine .......

But as stated, if not a gen IV, then it should not be a major issue...

the only reason why I posted because I did not see where he stated what engine or year he had....

Bozz
Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

It's a Gen IV, 06 GTO LS2. I corrected the original post and also added that I also have the same situation with no water temp sender wires.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

We posted at the same time.....lol

Something told me to post earlier this week, but I figured someone else would help you....lol I have a 06 LS2 GTO motor..

No bro do not cut the wires, I figured you might have a LS2 gen IV, and I just looked at one of your threads....

Heres what I did.....

Called S&P and ask for a 3 way sender metric to npt

the tee will have the metric fitting for the manifold, the metric fitting for your stock sender and a 1/8th NPT for an aftermarket gauage...

Thats what I did, it was like about $20 bucks.... My Dakota Digital oil sender is rather bulky so I needed it up top vs over the oil filter plate.... It would hit the headers or be too close.....

Or you can make one, but it was cheaper just to order it from S&P, saved a lot of time... I went everywhere in Houston to try to find metric fittings or metric to npt...

Bozz
Old 02-27-2011, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

Thanks Bozz,

Since Dakota requires their own senders be used, I was planning on installing separate oil and water senders anyway, but you're saying I should leave both factory senders and associated wires intact? Is the computer using these signals from the factory senders?
Old 02-27-2011, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Street and Performance
Oil $18.49
16mm x 1/8 NPT
16mm x 1/4 NPT
16mm x 3/8 NPT
16mm x 1/2 NPT

From my understanding, the ECM references the oil pressure.....leave the stock water sender alone on the drivers side, the ECM references the water temp here for the fans as well....

But leave both senders in and look on the passneger side head, near the rear and there should be a location for a metric fitting for the coolant....I think its 12mm...This is where I put my water sender for the dakota.... The good thing about the Dakota Digital is the sales guy threw in some extra metric adapters for the senders.... so I was cool.....

Bozz
Old 02-27-2011, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

Awesome. It makes sense there would be another sender port on the other side just like the old school S/BBC's.

I'll have to look in the Dakota parts bags to see what's there in adapters.

Thanks again!

Larry
Old 02-27-2011, 08:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Awesome. It makes sense there would be another sender port on the other side just like the old school S/BBC's.

I'll have to look in the Dakota parts bags to see what's there in adapters.

Thanks again!

Larry
Anytime Hauz.........

Thats why I ordered my Dakota straight from them, so if I had questions or issues, I would have no middle man, but if you ordered it and did not tell them you had a LS setup... I am pretty sure they will send you some adapters for free, as long as it is within 1 year, hell maybe after....

I love the Dakota so far, all future cars will have em in..... Very easy to use.... lots of options, it also makes the Speed calibration and VSS issue obsolete....

Bozz
Old 03-01-2011, 05:55 PM
On The Tree

Jared finally got back with me on this.

"You would need to leave the existing sending units. If they weren't needed by the computer, we would have removed them.

You need to add the sending units in the system somewhere for your gauges, and leave the existing ones alone.

Jared
currentperformance.com"

Thanks for your patience with me on this Bozz!
Old 03-01-2011, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Jared finally got back with me on this.

"You would need to leave the existing sending units. If they weren't needed by the computer, we would have removed them.

You need to add the sending units in the system somewhere for your gauges, and leave the existing ones alone.

Jared
currentperformance.com"

Thanks for your patience with me on this Bozz!
Anytime, I know because I have been where you are ....lol

But 6000+ miles since

Bozz

Quick Reply: No Oil Pressure Wire on Conversion Harness!