Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCS trans controller + 4L80E best route?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default PCS trans controller + 4L80E best route?

TCM 2000 and 4L80E.

Is anyone running this combo? If so how do you like it? I have a fully built 4L80E with transbrake here going behind a non-GM engine and I'm looking for the best controller for street and strip for this trans from people who have used them.

Any other standalone trans controllers worth having a look at or engine/trans controllers that work well on non-GM (24x crank + 1x cam mag pickups and needs to run 6 coils, 5 BAR boost) engine with this trans? Power level will be around 900 + single fogger this time around and the car is about 3800 lbs + driver.

Last edited by 05HD; 02-26-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone?
Old 04-07-2011, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

First impression:

This thing is garbage. It only has a serial cable for comms (welcome to 1990). Refuses to communicate with laptop via Radio Shack serial to usb adapter (very stable adapter I have used on many different old systems with this laptop running most stable version of windows XP). Now sitting on my hands waiting for the "special approved PCS usb adapter" to arrive.

Also, the universal GM "4Lwhatever" harness is pretty crappy. Breakouts are all in the wrong places for any trans you may have and "13 pin" connector is extra long, taking up space I don't have in the tunnel. Time to drop the trans back out and get the 5 lb hammer back out to make room for the giant connector...
Old 04-08-2011, 10:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

i used a stand alone Conpushift controller, worked great-they now have the Compushift 2, a little diff than the orig, but same features, plus a few more
no laptop needed, i could dial in anything i wanted-there are some a little cheaper, but the Compushift did everything i needed, and comes comp, TPS and all wiring
my other car with the orig Compushift made well over 600 RWHP, and i built the trans myself, it hit every shift, and i could dial in any lockup speed for the highway-im computer stupid, so avoiding a comp. was a big plus, lol
Old 04-08-2011, 10:40 AM
zgp
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 05HD
First impression:

This thing is garbage. It only has a serial cable for comms (welcome to 1990). Refuses to communicate with laptop via Radio Shack serial to usb adapter (very stable adapter I have used on many different old systems with this laptop running most stable version of windows XP). Now sitting on my hands waiting for the "special approved PCS usb adapter" to arrive.

Also, the universal GM "4Lwhatever" harness is pretty crappy. Breakouts are all in the wrong places for any trans you may have and "13 pin" connector is extra long, taking up space I don't have in the tunnel. Time to drop the trans back out and get the 5 lb hammer back out to make room for the giant connector...
For something that you consider garbage, they are the suppliers of this controller to GM performance parts, TCI and FAST.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by zgp
For something that you consider garbage, they are the suppliers of this controller to GM performance parts, TCI and FAST.
I know who they sell stuff to. Maybe I am just spoiled usually being able to communicate with a controller right out of the box. My tuning gear is specifically tailored to facilitate that as much as possible. I am reserving my final opinion for when (and if) I can actually get this thing talking.

Maybe I should have went with the one you can tune with a screwdriver. That appears to be the PCS solution to comms problems, instead of making a more robust comm protocol.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:58 PM
zgp
On The Tree

I know who they sell stuff to. Maybe I am just spoiled usually being able to communicate with a controller right out of the box. My tuning gear is specifically tailored to facilitate that as much as possible. I am reserving my final opinion for when (and if) I can actually get this thing talking.

Maybe I should have went with the one you can tune with a screwdriver. That appears to be the PCS solution to comms problems, instead of making a more robust comm protocol.
I am a dealer for them and also help with the development of GM controls .
this is one of the best out there. PCS is also the one that makes controllers for AM General our military controllers. No question that they are very reliable.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

pcs didn't work right for my setup and their tech support hasn't been helpful and no one returns my emails.

pcs stand alone won't control my GTO speedometer correctly. And their tech support has no suggestions.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:29 PM
zgp
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tom's2005gto
pcs didn't work right for my setup and their tech support hasn't been helpful and no one returns my emails.

pcs stand alone won't control my GTO speedometer correctly. And their tech support has no suggestions.
I have not seen anyone that can control the GTO Speedo yet, FAST, TCI and GM get there controller from PCS. The GTO speedo is done via Classs 2 messaging.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:40 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tom's2005gto

It will... you just need to wire it correctly...
Don't use the speedo output wire.
Instead splice into the vss at the rear of the tranny...splitting the signal to the controller and to the vehicle pcm.
Vss should be 40pulse per rev
Then you make sure to reflect that in your tune.

The speed out wire is just to drive an analog speedo looking for 4000 ppm.
Your gm speedo is fed thru serial data....
Old 04-16-2011, 06:47 AM
8 Second Club

also
the pcs or tci controller(same thing different labels)
don't just work well straight out of the box and they aren't pre programmed because they are made to control many different transmissions
you have to do some tweaking to get the tune to make better sense

I actually use the tci branded box for my tci 6x
As far as the control thru rs232 goes...
unfortunately their adapter will not work if the radio shack one didn't work..same thing rebranded.
I have a similar problem and was getting a runtime error...
the solution is to buy a keyspan usa-19hs..I believe it's now made by tripplite
Old 04-16-2011, 06:16 PM
zgp
On The Tree

Originally Posted by soundengineer
also
the pcs or tci controller(same thing different labels)
don't just work well straight out of the box and they aren't pre programmed because they are made to control many different transmissions
you have to do some tweaking to get the tune to make better sense

I actually use the tci branded box for my tci 6x
As far as the control thru rs232 goes...
unfortunately their adapter will not work if the radio shack one didn't work..same thing rebranded.
I have a similar problem and was getting a runtime error...
the solution is to buy a keyspan usa-19hs..I believe it's now made by tripplite
Agreed they are not programmed right out of the box. The do offer a base cal for most transmissions. They are not very user friendly for a newbie. If you want something that is easy to cal then try their simple shift. Although I prefer being able to make my own calibration and also there are two different patterns, sport and normal along with a tap up and tap down cal.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:16 PM
TECH Addict

I'm pretty happy with my Compushift. The only knocks are that you can't lock the converter at WOT and that I had to buy an extra piece of hardware in order to calibrate the speedo correctly.

Compushifts tech support was real good. Mike (I think that's his name), the designer/engineer, was right there every time I had a question.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:59 AM
TECH Veteran

do you have the orig compushift cont., or the comp shift 2-the orig one you can lock at full throttle, there is a trick, Mike can tell you, i think i remember, but dont want to give you the wrong info-the comp 2 there are no holds on reprograming for like WOT lockup
i locked mine at WOT for a dyno test, they have it locked out after 50%, but you use an Adm. type deal to get in and change it, kind of like a control on your TV so your kids cant see your **** channel, lol
Old 04-17-2011, 09:10 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by forcd ind
do you have the orig compushift cont., or the comp shift 2-the orig one you can lock at full throttle, there is a trick, Mike can tell you, i think i remember, but dont want to give you the wrong info-the comp 2 there are no holds on reprograming for like WOT lockup
i locked mine at WOT for a dyno test, they have it locked out after 50%, but you use an Adm. type deal to get in and change it, kind of like a control on your TV so your kids cant see your **** channel, lol
I have the original Compushift. I guess I'll contact Mike about lock up.

Wow the Comp II looks nice. Seems like every time I buy something, a new and improved unit comes to market shortly thereafter...
Old 04-17-2011, 09:19 AM
8 Second Club

something else to keep in mind as an option...

TCI makes their EZ-TCU, it is the replacement for the PCS Blue/TCI Redbox controller
it comes with a handheld programmer so it requires no computer to do the programming
Basic settings to make it easier to use as well...
the initial calibrations are a good start, and you can firm up shifts(or soften them if you want) and there is a normal and performance mode setting.

it works really well...
the only downside was that if you have a large stall(3600+) you may not like it at part throttle...the settings were more designed for a smaller "stock" ish stall
for me it was shifting too soon at part throttle even at its most aggressive setting, but I also have a Yank PY3600 that stalls up close to 4500 on my motor

Last edited by soundengineer; 04-17-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:23 AM
8 Second Club

Any other standalone trans controllers worth having a look at or engine/trans controllers that work well on non-GM (24x crank + 1x cam mag pickups and needs to run 6 coils, 5 BAR boost) engine with this trans? Power level will be around 900 + single fogger this time around and the car is about 3800 lbs + driver.
The answer to that part of your question would be the Holley EFI Stuff.. Domintaor ECU does both engine and trans control(4l80/4l60),up to 10 cylinders, up to 12 injectors, with boost control(up to 5 bar) and Nitrous control...4 stages., wet/dry/progressive
Old 04-17-2011, 05:47 PM
TECH Veteran

i didnt know there was limitations with the TCI because of the converter
i know they told me they just lowered the price
Old 04-17-2011, 07:40 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by forcd ind
i didnt know there was limitations with the TCI because of the converter
i know they told me they just lowered the price
there arent limitations because of the converter... its just not a very good file if you have a Large stall size...
it shifts into higher gears too soon and puts you in your top gear way to early for part throttle around town if you have a big stall...
Just kind of sucks if you have a big stall.. .it still works fine.. just you will be reving up a lot higher rpm's around town
Old 04-17-2011, 09:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soundengineer
It will... you just need to wire it correctly...
Don't use the speedo output wire.
Instead splice into the vss at the rear of the tranny...splitting the signal to the controller and to the vehicle pcm.
Vss should be 40pulse per rev
Then you make sure to reflect that in your tune.

The speed out wire is just to drive an analog speedo looking for 4000 ppm.
Your gm speedo is fed thru serial data....
When you say splice into the vss at the rear of the trans, your are referring to the VSS 2 pin plug that comes off the vss to the prewired 4l80 harness that runs back to the PCS box correct?
If so, that is how Tom's2005gto has the car wired currently. It is piggybacked from the 2 pin VSS output on the trans, over to the signal wire to the factory vss input at the PCM. This does not work. The speedometer will read relatively "close" to correct speed, but it does not hold a consistant reading, and if you stay running a constant speed, the speedometer will just drop to 0mph until you slow down or speed up.
As far as ppr settings, at 40, it's is No Where near accurate.

Any insight into this? It's a nagging problem for ALOT of Gto owners.

Quick Reply: PCS trans controller + 4L80E best route?