Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Damn Rattles!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 03:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Damn Rattles!

Im starting to get sick and tired of the shabby materials used in these cars. My 94' camaros interior feels like its made out of the same cheap plastic used to package cookies! (it probably was) Its not the feel thats bothering me tho. Its the God Damn Rattles that come from it! everytime i hit a bump its as if the entire car is falling apart and i cant stand it anymore!

Does anyone have a write up of things they did to combat this? Im just about ready to rip everything out and say F' it!
Old 02-27-2011, 03:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
Im starting to get sick and tired of the shabby materials used in these cars. My 94' camaros interior feels like its made out of the same cheap plastic used to package cookies! (it probably was) Its not the feel thats bothering me tho. Its the God Damn Rattles that come from it! everytime i hit a bump its as if the entire car is falling apart and i cant stand it anymore!

Does anyone have a write up of things they did to combat this? Im just about ready to rip everything out and say F' it!
I have that same problem and I can't locate a source. I hear a rattle on the drivers side, but its either the rear speaker or sumthing in the door itself. When I close the door I hear something inside shake.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I tracked most of mine down and stopped them one at a time. It isn't easy to do, sometimes it takes a while of listening and experimenting to pinpoint it.

I would suspect that tracking them down and stopping them on a cammed car would be so much harder than my stock V6 was lol.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah those rattles drive me insane , everytime i hit a bump , i feel as the car is falling apart , drives me mad.. atleast the car doesnt feel all over the place with the Koni's , but the rattle's are still there .. i might have to track them down and do something about them too..
Old 02-27-2011, 05:51 PM
TECH Regular

One of the big things are the plastics in the hatch, especially the ones with the speakers in them. I took out those panels and put fatmat on the mounting points so that the mounting is tight and the plastics can't rattle against them. Also lots of rattles can be caused by rear suspension components not being lubricated well or the bushings being worn out. Changing some basic things like that have helped.

I found that the passenger seat rattles as well. Something to to with the connection between the top half and bottom half. I also plan on making sure stuff inside the door will be tightened. There's a rod that connects the door lock to the interior door lock switch which i suspect is rattling against the metal of the door. Just a bit of fatmat in between should take care of it. If you don't have that I'm sure foam tape or weatherstripping for house windows will work well.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea it does get pretty annoying but you have to live with it. It is a muscle car not a luxury car. It's not too bad really I drove my bro's old pathfinder and my camaro felt like a bmw compared to it
Old 02-27-2011, 07:10 PM
TECH Addict

I agree I just did a dumped exhaust and my god everything rattles now. I know the passengers seat if not locked in a good spot will rattle, the passengers side lock (still don't know how to fix it), I put ac weatherstripping between the connections in the rear speaker panel, there are a few others I haven't identified yet thou..
Old 02-27-2011, 07:59 PM
TECH Junkie

I know its a common problem i just hate it! lol the car has 180k miles and i already fatmatted most of the car... its mostly coming from the dash board. im going to pull it apart and drive it for awhile.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
I know its a common problem i just hate it! lol the car has 180k miles and i already fatmatted most of the car... its mostly coming from the dash board. im going to pull it apart and drive it for awhile.
What kind of suspension do you have? Wheels and tires and tire pressure? All these make big differences in ride quality (and therefore letting rattles into your interior).
Oversized wheels, not enough aspect ratio with the tires, too much tire pressure (keep it around 30psi), and overly stiff sidewalls can really hurt things. As for suspension, shitty shocks being #1 (stock or drag shocks are terrible for ride quality and will cause rattles - look into some SLP bilstiens they should help quite a bit. Overly low or overly stiff springs can be more harsh, rod ended suspension can clunk, sometimes poly suspension can bind causing a jarring ride.
You best bet is to stick with rubber bushings, stock springs, stock swaybars, good shocks (bilstiens, konis), 17" wheels max with a decent aspect ratio on the tire.
Then the obvious things of fixing things that are loose in the interior, picking up any change, look for bolts/nuts etc etc.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Lotta good info here.

JD AMG - I know you speak well of strano parts. Do you recommend using the slp billensteins with stock springs? I see he has springs on there for not much more, should one get new springs with the new shocks?
Old 02-28-2011, 05:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
Lotta good info here.

JD AMG - I know you speak well of strano parts. Do you recommend using the slp billensteins with stock springs? I see he has springs on there for not much more, should one get new springs with the new shocks?
If you are looking for the best ride quality then stick with stock springs. No lowering spring is going to ride as good as the stock springs (obviously you have less travel and more rate, so its going to be stiffer). If you want the lowered look, or the improved handling then springs may be for you. But for ride quality unless your stock springs are sagging I wouldn't replace them.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

My hatch does not close right or something. it is like the latch does not go down far enough. i can hear that rattle if i hit a bump. does anyone know how to fix it.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Same for me. I get an annoying squeak somewhere form the hatch area too. I also didn't notice any difference from SFC's, though that's not the only reason I got them for.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1997transamws6
My hatch does not close right or something. it is like the latch does not go down far enough. i can hear that rattle if i hit a bump. does anyone know how to fix it.
Lift up on the hatch when it is closed. Does it feel like it is tight or loose?

On my Camaro I had to be sure I firmly closed the hatch simply because of the air pressure pushing back.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rbaksi
One of the big things are the plastics in the hatch, especially the ones with the speakers in them. I took out those panels and put fatmat on the mounting points so that the mounting is tight and the plastics can't rattle against them. Also lots of rattles can be caused by rear suspension components not being lubricated well or the bushings being worn out. Changing some basic things like that have helped.

I found that the passenger seat rattles as well. Something to to with the connection between the top half and bottom half.

Good tip, I'm going to try that on mine when the weather gets warmer.

I have the same problems, 105k and the thing sounds like it's shaking itself to pieces.

And any idea on how to fix the pass seat? Mine does the same thing, there's this rough overpass that I drive over on the way to work, that seat flops around like mad. Drives me nuts.

Plus the rear suspension is really noisy. I have new Konis back there, so shocks aren't the problem. Maybe LCA bushings or swaybar links/bushings?
Old 03-01-2011, 04:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cemlsx
yeah those rattles drive me insane , everytime i hit a bump , i feel as the car is falling apart , drives me mad.. atleast the car doesnt feel all over the place with the Koni's , but the rattle's are still there .. i might have to track them down and do something about them too..
How do you like your koni/strano setup vs stock.

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
If you are looking for the best ride quality then stick with stock springs. No lowering spring is going to ride as good as the stock springs (obviously you have less travel and more rate, so its going to be stiffer). If you want the lowered look, or the improved handling then springs may be for you. But for ride quality unless your stock springs are sagging I wouldn't replace them.
Ok thanks . I guess my dilemma is I want comfortable ride & better handling.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok thanks . I guess my dilemma is I want comfortable ride & better handling.
You don't NEED new springs to improve handling either. Good shocks like Bilsteins or Koni's on stock springs will really improve your handling as well....ask me how I know
Old 03-01-2011, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How do you like your koni/strano setup vs stock.

I run Koni's on stock springs (for now) and its definately an improvement , car feels more comfortable in a way , I mean its still no luxury ride , but it handles bumps/potholes much better than before , but the real difference is the handling , car feels much more planted and doesnt wonder around the road anymore .. somehow the rattles didnt go away (they are less though)

since its never going to be a comfortable car , Id suggest going for stiffer springs if your swapping out your shocks .. the only reason im running my stock springs is because I have tall tires on the car right now and i cant lower it .. I'll be throwing on strano springs when i change my wheels/tires because Im positive these Koni's have alot more to offer with those springs ..
Old 03-01-2011, 01:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by StuntmanMike
Good tip, I'm going to try that on mine when the weather gets warmer.

I have the same problems, 105k and the thing sounds like it's shaking itself to pieces.

And any idea on how to fix the pass seat? Mine does the same thing, there's this rough overpass that I drive over on the way to work, that seat flops around like mad. Drives me nuts.

Plus the rear suspension is really noisy. I have new Konis back there, so shocks aren't the problem. Maybe LCA bushings or swaybar links/bushings?
All i need to do is just move the seat to a different position or (notch) and it willl stop
Old 03-01-2011, 02:47 PM
TECH Addict

my windows when partially down..

Quick Reply: Damn Rattles!