Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plug on Power Steering Pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 04:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plug on Power Steering Pump

I noticed that there is a plug on my power steering pump but the engine harness does not have a connector for it. I am not too concerned about it as it is probably for a "low fluid light" in the dash as the PCM does not need this info, but I just wanted a confirmation.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep thats what its for.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What vehicle is the pump off of? Some suv's in the 90's had variable effort steering and that sopenoid controlled the pump's output. It is at the bottom rear of the pump near the high pressure outlet.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pdsq98gt
What vehicle is the pump off of? Some suv's in the 90's had variable effort steering and that sopenoid controlled the pump's output. It is at the bottom rear of the pump near the high pressure outlet.
or idle switch. it signaled the demand for torque and would raise the idle speed slightly when turning the wheel
Old 02-28-2011, 02:02 AM
Staging Lane

the engine is out of an 02 silverado and I assume the PS pump is stock. although the connector is on a plastic cylinder that is over the high pressure output. Is it possible that my pump needs some input signal to function?
Old 02-28-2011, 04:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

It's a pressure bypass solenoid that decreases the amount of assist at hiway speeds. Doogle "variable effort power steering". It's connected to the BCM. You can leave it disconnected.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:51 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for the relies, that is an interesting piece of functionality, I wonder what type of signal it takes and what it's rang is as far as reducing the pressure. not going to worry about that right now though as its not even going to be connected to anything for a wile.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I remember correctly it uses vehicle speed and a steering wheel speed/position sensor to determine how much assist to provide. It is prone to failure and the most common symptom is that the steering darts sharply while on swooping exit ramps. I have a 99 suburban with this system and it used to intermittently do this. I would just leave it alone and unplugged
Old 02-28-2011, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by pdsq98gt
If I remember correctly it uses vehicle speed and a steering wheel speed/position sensor to determine how much assist to provide. It is prone to failure and the most common symptom is that the steering darts sharply while on swooping exit ramps. I have a 99 suburban with this system and it used to intermittently do this. I would just leave it alone and unplugged
Yep i have worked on some trucks that had this and its JUNK i would never try an use it are hook it up.

Quick Reply: Plug on Power Steering Pump