Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Question

Old 02-27-2011, 10:00 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Transmission Question

Considering a Fox body swap. Not a Mustang, but an LTD wagon. I've got an LQ4 and I want to use a manual trans. I've been searching for 2 hours and have not found a thread where anybody is using a T-5.

This is a STRICT budget swap. Its not going to be a race car, just a daily driver. So, my goal is comfortable and simple, as opposed to ***** out fast.

My plan is to use L92 heads and an L76(?) intake, and either car or Quik accessory brackets. Need to know 2 things: Which factory cam will give me best compromise between breathing and sound(lope) and is there a bellhousing for LSx that will allow a T-5 with cable clutch to be used?

Chuck
Old 02-28-2011, 12:29 PM
Teching In

Nobody can tell me if I can use a T-5 with this motor??????
Old 02-28-2011, 02:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It can be used, but I would buy a few extra T-5.. as they are not up to the TQ spec that the Gen III/IV engine will output. Are you considering the GM T-5 or a Ford one.

There is a few threads on people using T-5's.. suggest you seach on them and see what Bell housing, Throw Out Bearing, Flywheel, etc. Might look into the McLeod Bell housing

CAM .. buy a used LS6/Z06 cam, that should be a good compromise for what your doing. Else a Aftermarket one like a TR224. You can get more Lope if you find one with a lower LSA 112-114 range. But there are many choices.

Good luck

Last edited by bczee; 02-28-2011 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lightning95sc
I've been searching for 2 hours and have not found a thread where anybody is using a T-5.
Nobody can tell me if I can use a T-5 with this motor??????
I think you got your answer. Not a popular transmission for these higher torque motors, especially ones with bigger cams.

Blow up a single T5 and you won't have saved much money.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:28 PM
Teching In

bczee: Thanks for your reply. I was thinking about using the Ford "Z" version, since I have 2 of them. I searched before I asked, maybe I did'nt word my searches right. Thanks on the cam suggestion, thats what I was hoping for.

Pop N Wood: I know its not a popular trans to use because of the torque capacity. I'm not looking to beat on it, I have enough 5.0 experience to know how tough they ARE NOT. But also know how to nurse one.
I just want to get the car up and running, and enjoy it some until I can save up for a TKO. Thanks for your input, though.

Chuck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Question