General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

guys with home single car garages...

Old 02-28-2011, 03:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default guys with home single car garages...

If there's one thing I hate hate hate is getting my TA up in the air... The exhaust crossover pipe on my turbo lowered TA is 2 inches off the floor and jacking up my car is a PITA... First the front side with jack #1 then jack #2 for the front K-member then the jackstands then the back from the side with jack #1 then the rear end pumpkin with jack #2 and then jackstands there too. God I hate it.

I saw this today... What do you guys think? I have a single car crowded garage BTW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UhQ_...eature=related

Then I saw these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag1Ic...eature=related

and:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCWGx...eature=related

And the part that got me really interested (since I have serious clearance issues. Some exhaust parts are two inches off the floor):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw2UaWRtld0

The price seems like a huge rip off to me ($2k), so I guess I'll be doing my jacking routine for now. These vids got me thinking though... Any opinions on this?
Old 02-28-2011, 04:25 PM
TECH Addict

I just feel like the cross bar would get in the way of any transmission, torque arm, or exhaust work which would annoy me after paying $2k and still having to use my jack and jackstands a lot of the time. at the moment I have to drive up on custom 2 inch ramps, then jack it up front then back which is really annoying.

A friend of mine has RaceRamps which are really nice. they're pretty pricey for what they are but they're still a lot cheaper than a lift and a whole lot easier than a jack and jackstands. if you need the whole car up you just drive up with the big ones up front and a small set in the back and then the front is in the air and you have enough room to get a jack under the rear (maybe not with your turbo though)
Old 02-28-2011, 07:22 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bboyferal
If there's one thing I hate hate hate is getting my TA up in the air... The exhaust crossover pipe on my turbo lowered TA is 2 inches off the floor and jacking up my car is a PITA... First the front side with jack #1 then jack #2 for the front K-member then the jackstands then the back from the side with jack #1 then the rear end pumpkin with jack #2 and then jackstands there too. God I hate it.

I saw this today... What do you guys think? I have a single car crowded garage BTW.
Huge rip off is right. You can lay an 8-inch cement pad in your backyard and put up a 10,000 lb real car lift for less than the cost of that thing. Plus, I wonder if that will have trouble lifting different width cars....do those rubber lift point pads adjust inward and outward as well?? Also, that lift is only one fixed width because of those cross bars, they should have made that adjustable too.

Me and 3 friends are buying a 10,000 lift next month. They both have thousands of dollars of side work to do each month so we're all getting two attached work bays to work on our cars as well as make money with their side jobs. We're all just tired of looking for places to lift our cars. They can do sidework at their dealerships on Saturdays, but thats only one day and only gives them enough time to work on their own cars and mine when I need something done. So they can do after hour work during the week and Sat/Sun.

It should be installed in the bay in about a month. They're the mechanics, I just have a car that needs things done sometimes, I'm just going in on it some so I can do things on my car any time I want to. Plus, they work 9-5 Mon-Fri, so it won't be used during those hours at all, so I get to use it Mon-Fri from 9-5 when they're all at work.

If you're ever in a crunch and need a real lift let me know. Its gonna be in Pompano though.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:18 AM
TECH Resident

Tiny garages suck *****!

Old 03-01-2011, 08:27 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

How about this: http://www.maxjaxusa.com/ It gives you the functionality of a regular two post lift, but can be moved out of the way and can be easily taken with you when you move.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
I just feel like the cross bar would get in the way of any transmission, torque arm, or exhaust work which would annoy me after paying $2k and still having to use my jack and jackstands a lot of the time. at the moment I have to drive up on custom 2 inch ramps, then jack it up front then back which is really annoying.

A friend of mine has RaceRamps which are really nice. they're pretty pricey for what they are but they're still a lot cheaper than a lift and a whole lot easier than a jack and jackstands. if you need the whole car up you just drive up with the big ones up front and a small set in the back and then the front is in the air and you have enough room to get a jack under the rear (maybe not with your turbo though)
I had race ramps too, but I began to hate putting them all in the right spots and I REALLY began to hate the inevitable spin my clutch would get creeping up on them every weekend, so I began to just use the two jacks method instead to get my car up without needing to even crank the engine. Plus, there are times that something happens to my car where I can't run the motor (scavenger oil pump died on me recently), so I just got used to jacks... But you know, they have really started to recently annoy me.

And yeah, those crossbars would limit the kind of things that can be done on this EZ car lift, which kind of blows that you can't do tranny/exhaust jobs after paying $2k to get your car up!!!

Originally Posted by LS6427
Huge rip off is right. You can lay an 8-inch cement pad in your backyard and put up a 10,000 lb real car lift for less than the cost of that thing. Plus, I wonder if that will have trouble lifting different width cars....do those rubber lift point pads adjust inward and outward as well?? Also, that lift is only one fixed width because of those cross bars, they should have made that adjustable too.

Me and 3 friends are buying a 10,000 lift next month. They both have thousands of dollars of side work to do each month so we're all getting two attached work bays to work on our cars as well as make money with their side jobs. We're all just tired of looking for places to lift our cars. They can do sidework at their dealerships on Saturdays, but thats only one day and only gives them enough time to work on their own cars and mine when I need something done. So they can do after hour work during the week and Sat/Sun.

It should be installed in the bay in about a month. They're the mechanics, I just have a car that needs things done sometimes, I'm just going in on it some so I can do things on my car any time I want to. Plus, they work 9-5 Mon-Fri, so it won't be used during those hours at all, so I get to use it Mon-Fri from 9-5 when they're all at work.

If you're ever in a crunch and need a real lift let me know. Its gonna be in Pompano though.
Yup, for the same price I have begun to look at this:

http://www.maxjaxusa.com/learn.html

And this review picqued my interest:

http://www.garagejournal.com/2009/05...e-2-post-lift/

Northern Tool has the thing at $1,999.99 w/ free shipping right now. Of course, I don't have the money at this moment anyway. lol

But I checked all the specifications and it would fit my single car garage (I have 120" of width), and it would lift my car not to the full height but to the middle setting (It has two slots for the lock bolts, 22.5 and at 45 inches). Trying to find more reviews... On their images in the first link, they have customer photos that include a 4th gen Trans Am!

What do you think of this one? It's portable, and the posts can be put away against one side of the garage against the wall when they're not in use, taking very little room in those pics... It says I need at least 4" of depth in my concrete for the bolt sleeves... I wonder what my garage has, and how to find out...

That's cool what you'll be able to do that with your friends, and your offer to share with me is kind. I appreciate it, bud.

Originally Posted by Steve Gunn
Tiny garages suck *****!
lol

Yeah, that pic sums up how I feel!
Old 03-01-2011, 08:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by wssix99
How about this: http://www.maxjaxusa.com/ It gives you the functionality of a regular two post lift, but can be moved out of the way and can be easily taken with you when you move.
Holy ****, just as I was posting!

Yeah, have you heard anything about these/know someone who has one?
Old 03-01-2011, 08:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

the idea is great but too much money . I could see maybe 1000 , but its not worth 2k , to me at least
Old 03-01-2011, 12:50 PM
Banned

Only thing I personally don't like is all thats holding all that weight are those 6 rather "short" bolts, no crossbar on top to keep the two towers from leaning inward, at least to take some stress off the leaning inward tendency. Its probably just me being a little too cautious, but I'd have to use 4 tall jack stands (safety stands) to hold the car up after it was raised, before I got under the car with that jack system.

Its just allot of money for not being able to get the car any higher than that one does.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:18 PM
Save the manuals!

Holy ****, just as I was posting!

Yeah, have you heard anything about these/know someone who has one?
I've just seen a lot of coverage for them on car shows. I've been doing a lot of research on lifts and have my eye set on a BendPac lift for a new house I'm getting ready to build.

As others have pointed out, the Max Jax price is comparable to a permanently installed lift. Strength-wise, the Max Jax is going to be just a strong as any other open top lift. (You need open top lifts for short ceiling heights. I assume this is the situation you are in and don't have 12-13 feet of clearance for a top bar lift.)

Max Jax advantages:
- You can easily install it yourself, with just one person.
- You can put it out of the way when you have your band over for a jam session.
- You can fit it in a very narrow space where installed lifts can't go.
- You can mount one the lift in different places.
- You can tuck it away in a closet so your spouse doesn't have to deal with any perceived stigma related to a lift in the garage.

Max Jax disadvantages:
- Over time/use, the bolt anchors could come free.
- If one of the hydraulic hoses bursts, life will suck... a lot.
- You have to deal with the stigma of having a temporary lift.

You may also be able to find a two post permanently installed asymmetric floor plate lift that will fit in your space, but may find that over the long term the Max Jax is more versatile.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wssix99

Max Jax disadvantages:
- Over time/use, the bolt anchors could come free.
- If one of the hydraulic hoses bursts, life will suck... a lot.
- You have to deal with the stigma of having a temporary lift.
Max Jax really screwed up by not having a steel piece shaped exactly like a "Y", where the bottom of the "Y" slides into the base of each tower and then the top part of the "Y" goes under the car. That way if the bolts came loose or the hydraulics failed (even though it has a safety locking pin when its raised, but imagine if one side hydraulics failed as it got to the top...Ka-Bam...) those "Y" extensions would keep the towers from falling inward. It would then be like a self sustaining stand, like an engine stand (cherry picker). They could have added that as a safety mechanism very easily.

That thing relying on those short bolts......I'd never buy that thing.

We're getting this one, you can swing both doors open.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TWO-P...ht_5536wt_1166

Last edited by LS6427; 03-01-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:10 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by LS6427
Max Jax really screwed up by not having a steel piece shaped exactly like a "Y", where the bottom of the "Y" slides into the base of each tower and then the top part of the "Y" goes under the car. That way if the bolts came loose or the hydraulics failed (even though it has a safety locking pin when its raised, but imagine if one side hydraulics failed as it got to the top...Ka-Bam...) those "Y" extensions would keep the towers from falling inward. It would then be like a self sustaining stand, like an engine stand (cherry picker). They could have added that as a safety mechanism very easily.

That thing relying on those short bolts......I'd never buy that thing.

We're getting this one, you can swing both doors open.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TWO-POST-AUTO-LIFT-10-000-LB-ASYMMETRIC-Extra-Wide-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem519135d2efQQitemZ35032 8574703QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools#ht_5536wt_ 1166

The bolts aren't any different than the bolts used on a permanent lift. The main difference is that you have to remove/re-install these over time. If anything, the re-use would make them prone to pull out over time, but the design is no different than any other two post lift.

If I had a Max Jax, I'd look to purchase a commercial concrete epoxy and permanently bond the bolt shields in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: guys with home single car garages...