Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Where to get switched accessory power for Aeroforce gauges?

Old 02-28-2011, 07:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Where to get switched accessory power for Aeroforce gauges?

I bought the Aeroforce gauge setup and they will not turn off when the car is off as the OBD2 port is always powered. I bought one of those add-a-fuse fuse terminals and plugged it into the accessory fuse on the driver's side fuse box and the gauges do not turn off.

Which fuse under the fuse back on driver side is a true switched accessory power?
Old 02-28-2011, 07:49 PM
TECH Resident

Just an update, FYI I am a noob at wiring haha. I hooked up the add-a-line to the Windshield Wiper fuse on drivers side and it works - gauges are off when car is off and boot up when ignition is turned to on. Should that be ok for my gauges? I used a 5a fuse for the gauges.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:54 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Driver's side fuse panel:

Red Circle = IGN = Switched 12V Power (has power when key is in the on position, but does not have power otherwise)

Green Circle = BATT = 12V Always Hot (has power regardless of key position)

Blue Circle = ACCY = 12V Retained Accessory Power (best example is the radio - this will energize when the car is turned on, and will stay powered even after the car is turned off, but will turn off once the door is opened)

These slots can be accessed by using a flat blade connector crimped on the end of a wire (then use the wire to power whatever you wish) - just shove the connector in the appropriate slot from the front of the panel.

Last edited by MeentSS02; 02-28-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:20 PM
TECH Resident

thanks meent! if i do this method it won't be fused though. inline fuse?
Old 02-28-2011, 08:24 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Correct...you'll want to use an inline fuse if you use any of those three slots just to be safe.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was refered to this link because i had a question in regards to putting a a/f gauge. So its best to hook up the a/f gauge to the accy slot but whats a inline fuse look like and what amp. Can i use a regular fuse like the ones in the other slots? and if so what amp.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:10 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Put down the wire and step away from the car. If you have never seen an inline fuse, perhaps it would be better to get someone with electrical experience to help you.

The amperage fuse you need should be listed in the instructions that came with the gauge. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised that the gauge already has an inline fuse of the correct amperage. Look for a plastic fuse holder built into the red power wire that came with the gauge (that's an inline fuse).

And you should use the IGN port since you have no reason to want the gauge powered when the ignition is off. The ACCY port continues to provide power after the ignition is turned off until a door is opened (like the radio).
Old 11-19-2011, 03:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Put down the wire and step away from the car. If you have never seen an inline fuse, perhaps it would be better to get someone with electrical experience to help you.

The amperage fuse you need should be listed in the instructions that came with the gauge. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised that the gauge already has an inline fuse of the correct amperage. Look for a plastic fuse holder built into the red power wire that came with the gauge (that's an inline fuse).

And you should use the IGN port since you have no reason to want the gauge powered when the ignition is off. The ACCY port continues to provide power after the ignition is turned off until a door is opened (like the radio).
Ok perfect thanks for the advice, i work at a chevy dealer and will be giving it to the service department to install it for me.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I wouldn't trust a dealer mechanic unless you know that they are competent. Just because someone works at a dealership that doesn't mean they know how to work on cars. Just come to the dealership where I live if you want a shining example.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Driver's side fuse panel:

Red Circle = IGN = Switched 12V Power (has power when key is in the on position, but does not have power otherwise)

Green Circle = BATT = 12V Always Hot (has power regardless of key position)

Blue Circle = ACCY = 12V Retained Accessory Power (best example is the radio - this will energize when the car is turned on, and will stay powered even after the car is turned off, but will turn off once the door is opened)

These slots can be accessed by using a flat blade connector crimped on the end of a wire (then use the wire to power whatever you wish) - just shove the connector in the appropriate slot from the front of the panel.
any chance you can send me this picture please it does not show
Old 11-12-2017, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts

lol i just did this on the camaro.. email aeroforce they willhelp you out
Old 11-13-2017, 06:55 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Here you go...

Colors aren't the same as described but the labels are: IGN for ignition switched power, BATT for constant (unswitched) power and ACCY for retained accessory power (radio and windows).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where to get switched accessory power for Aeroforce gauges?