LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Bad TPS sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bad TPS sensor?

Alright I just bought a 97 trans am and am trying to straighten out all of the problems. It starts perfect when its cold and runs great. Doesnt skip or miss. When its warm though it usually takes two or three tries to get it to crank.

Its idling at around 900 rpms which I think is high but this is the first M6 car Ive owned. Also I noticed the "Skip Shift" light randomly comes on in first gear and goes off when driving. Ive tried taking off hard and cant actually get the skip shift feature to work.

Someone explain to me how Skip Shift works. Could a bad TPS cause the skip shift to act up? I know it can cause hard starts and high idle and weird shifting in an auto car.

Car is completly stock with no check engine light. Im gonna try to get it scanned tomorrow. Im also sure the car needs a full tune up which I plan on doing within the next month. (plugs, wires, filters, fluids)
Old 10-13-2011, 11:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try a coolant temp sensor, may sound dumb but if it isnt reading correctly it wont allow the computer to go into a closed loop therefore it will run great uintil it reaches operating temp, it will stay in open loop running to rich
Old 10-13-2011, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99silverbullit
try a coolant temp sensor, may sound dumb but if it isnt reading correctly it wont allow the computer to go into a closed loop therefore it will run great uintil it reaches operating temp, it will stay in open loop running to rich
You hit the nail on the head. The old sensor was completly gone, the plastic head on it was broken off. All is well now. I fixed all issues in this thread a long time ago.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

skip shift light will turn on until 19mph. if you get on it hard, it will not skip shift. you have to come out of the hole lazy and try shifting to second at 10mph, if it's working you'll feel it kick in.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Guys this is an OLD THREAD

Turns out the car had a skip shift eliminator on it when I got it. So, the prior owner was wrong. It wasnt completly stock.

Quick Reply: Bad TPS sensor?