Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e goes into gear hard

Old 03-01-2011, 11:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e goes into gear hard

What's up guys, I looked around a bit and couldn't find any info, I love that my car shifts into the next gear nice and firm but what I don't like is when I start it up and have my foot on the brake and put it in drive it hits really hard in drive, all the other gears it goes in pretty firm but drive is the worst. If I let off the brake before if goes into drive its real hard.

Thanks for your opinions
Old 03-04-2011, 12:42 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Been tuned? People like to raise the pressure constant, and thats the wrong way to tune a transmission.

Could also be high idle. Broken forward accumulator spring, etc. Hard to say with no specific information, especially when your signature says you have an M6, you might be asking about a different car for all I know.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ivan_key
What's up guys, I looked around a bit and couldn't find any info, I love that my car shifts into the next gear nice and firm but what I don't like is when I start it up and have my foot on the brake and put it in drive it hits really hard in drive, all the other gears it goes in pretty firm but drive is the worst. If I let off the brake before if goes into drive its real hard.

Thanks for your opinions
Is the CEL on? If you have a hard code in there the computer will command full line pressure to the transmission which is what it sounds like it is doing.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:02 PM
Staging Lane

My car was doing the exact same thing and i pulled a TPS code. I checked it out and found nothing wrong but when i followed the wires one of them had ripped in half. After i connected it back car ran great and didnt hit hard in drive anymore.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Forgot to change my sig, I now have a a4 car, sold the other t/a, anyways I just bought this car a couple months ago, the guy said it has never been tuned, I looked under it and seen the cats are gone, check engine light is off so I ran codes anyways and pulled cat codes and o2 sensor codes and that's it
Old 03-05-2011, 09:08 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

If you got codes out of it with no check engine light on, the light must have been pulled out.

As for the transmission, it could be anything not knowing anything about the car.

I'd start with a pressure test. Then I'd take the pan off and probably the valve body and look at a few things in there.

Could be that someone turned the force motor screw in for more pressure (constant).
Old 03-05-2011, 11:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would say thats its probably a electrical issue and not a tranny issue. my car does this all the time when the maf starts acting up it will throw a code and make the tranny shift hard as ****. tons of threads on here about this problem
Old 03-06-2011, 08:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ya I'm betting the guy who sold it to me pulled the ses light out instead of getting it tuned, I will be getting it tuned here real soon so I will see if that helps anything, thanks for the input, ill be putting a transgo shift kit in soon also so ill take a look while I'm in it
Old 03-06-2011, 08:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

im assuming your level isnt low?
Old 03-06-2011, 09:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Its full

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4l60e goes into gear hard