Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coating internal engine parts......

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 03:49 PM
Under criminal investigation for fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coating internal engine parts......

How is the interest in this option? We offer a full line of coatings. We can coat anything from main & rod bearings to connecting rods and cranks. We do a lotof the ceramic top coatings and teflon skirt coatings. The prices are reasonable also.

Any one running a blower, turbo, or even a nitrous motor should consider the ceramic top coatings. This coating keeps the heat from soaking through the pistons prolonging their life and also keeps your heat where it is supposed to be.....in the combustion chamber.
We use a oil shedding coating on the crank & rods, what this does is keeps oil from cling on to these parts and decreases windage in the motor. You can also use this coating on the oil pan, windage tray and oil pump pickup. We have even used it on the timing gears.

We can coat any engine parts that you buy from us, all youhave to do is let us know at the time of order. I will get some pic's of the stuff that we have coated up here so you guy's can check them out.

Thanks,
Old 02-15-2004, 03:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a great option for those wanting the BEST out of their engine. It's a great thing to have done and is reasonably affordable.
Old 02-15-2004, 03:55 PM
Banned

Message me..I have several sets of Diamond pistons i got from you before you left diamond (letoy motorsports)....I have two sets that im interested in ceramic coating the tops, shoot me a message.

Also need a price on side skirts
Old 02-15-2004, 03:56 PM

Check your PM's

Thanks
Old 02-15-2004, 04:00 PM
TECH Resident

how do the coating effect clearances?

Prices would be great... i talked to u last week abou custom dome 4.03 pistons for nitrous.

Lemme know thanks.
Old 02-15-2004, 04:00 PM

C4vetteLS1, clear some room in your PM box! It's full and won't let my PM go through.

Thanks
Old 02-15-2004, 04:01 PM
TECH Veteran

I already had my pistons coated (ceramic top and tefflon sides). What are your rates for doing the oil shedding coating on:

- a crank
- 8 rods
- timing chain
- internal block (for flow back)
Old 02-15-2004, 04:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Chris I may be interested in having the piston tops coated. PM me with the pricing.
Old 02-15-2004, 04:14 PM

Mike & T/A medic, check your PM's.

If your coating the skirts you can add .001" to your pistons to wall clearance. In the engines that we do in house we do not add any extra clearance. I do not feel their is a need to add the extra clearance from what we have seen. Adding it though will not hurt you. We are currently in the process of using a new and improved skirt coating, if we go this route we will probably add a .001" clearance in. The new coating does not seem to wear off as the standard teflon coating does. This is why with the old/ standard coating I do not add the extra clearance.

Cost to coat the following:
Crankshaft - $175.00
Connecting rods - $120.00
Timing gears, crank & cam - $12.00
Main bearings - $33.00 set
Rod bearings - $33.00 set
Cam bearings - $22.00 set
Camshaft - $45.00

If you get the coated main and rod bearings they will decrease your clearances by about a .001". So make sure you think about this before ordering. You most likely will have to use a +.001" bearing. This coating does not wear off.

Keep the questions coming if you have them.
Old 02-15-2004, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here are some pictures of my little SBC project. These are the same coatings that Chris is talking about in the above post.

Crankshaft

Connecting Rods

Pistons

Last edited by Nick@AP-Engineering; 02-15-2004 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-15-2004, 04:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Nick@AP-Engineering
Here are some pictures of my little SBC project. These are the same coatings that Chris is talking about in the above post.

Crankshaft

Connecting Rods

Pistons
Nice and pretty.
Old 02-15-2004, 05:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

Do the coatings on the crank, pistons, rods affect balancing or require rechecking balance?
Old 02-15-2004, 05:26 PM

Wade they will not affect your balance. It barely adds any weight and is applied evenly to the parts. Plus we could get this done for you on the crank prior to you getting the crank. Let me know if your interested.

Thanks
Old 02-15-2004, 06:04 PM
Staging Lane

Coating combustion chambers with stock comp. and supercharger will that then in effect make the engine more prone to detonation because of the heat being trapped in the chamber I know with coated pistons and chamber on carb. race engines you need to add fuel ?????
Old 02-15-2004, 06:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by David Plum
Coating combustion chambers with stock comp. and supercharger will that then in effect make the engine more prone to detonation because of the heat being trapped in the chamber I know with coated pistons and chamber on carb. race engines you need to add fuel ?????
Well, you're also increasing the efficiency of each power stroker b/c you're trapping more heat (= more power to drive the piston down) so making more power thus I believe the increased efficiency counteracts the lesser timing you may be able to run.
Old 02-15-2004, 07:49 PM

Levi, you are correct sir! Nicely said.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I understand that heat and heat induced detonation do the most damage to the piston...so obiviously the best way to lengthen the life of the piston is to reduce its operating temperature. For NA and N2O apps thats fine, But correct me if Im off base...if the piston is reflecting the heat back into the chamber (in the case of a turbo application) wont the charge temps be a bit higher, thus increasing my chances at detonation? Is this just a trade-off? Any opinions you or Brian (APE) can share?
Old 02-15-2004, 08:32 PM
Launching!

Jason,
I think that the amount of heat that is absorbed through the pistons is not that great to where if you do not allow this to happen it will raise your charge temps (exhaust gas temps) that greatly. What it will do though is not heat soak your pistons, which weakens them, and get you longer life out of your combo. One of the major killers of pistons is heat being sent through them. Basically softening the aluminum to the point of fatigue. Burning holes in the center of them, so if you coat them it won't stop this from happening in all cases but will limit it in most. This is not a cure all but will help out a lot of turbo/ blower guy's with their engines.

Thanks
Old 02-15-2004, 08:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here's some good info from PolyDyn's site regarding their ceramic coatings:

"Deck (Ceramic) - provides excellent thermal protection during detonation and overheating....Uncoated pistons started losing material due to severe heat and heavy loading."
PolyDyn is specially formulated to have the same coefficient of expansion as the metals to which they're applied
Less than .001," thick these ceramics reduces combustion chamber heat loss; retaining more heat in the chamber increases power output. By reducing the amount of heat transferred to a particular component, heat barrier coatings reduce potential engine damage caused by excessive combustion chamber temperatures.
Industrial applications for PolyDyn Coatings include oil field manufacturers, robotics, petrochemical, weapons, biomedical, gas turbines and aerospace.

Old 02-15-2004, 09:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good input, food for thought...please deliver my motor before I get any more ideas...another 2 weeks and I'll want a completely dipped 427 wet-sleve with a Lunati rolling assembly... hell in 3 weeks I'll want the damn C5R block...
Chris, I'll be in touch about the coatings.

Quick Reply: Coating internal engine parts......