Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

grind second

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default grind second

So I just traded my auto for a t56 and did the swap last weekend. It grinds second in high rpms. I've done a search and believe its the syncros. But I figured I'd ask here before I pay for something unnecessary. Here are the details

I traded this Guy and it has a stage 3 spec clutch but the disk had between 1/32 and a 1/16. I payed 400 on top of trade. No biggie he offered to split the cost of a new one which ill get next month when I pull it to swap to an Ls2.

I put a new slave in and gravity bled the master and then used a Mitty vac ( after 4 hrs of trying traditional bleeding LOL ) put it all together and drove it.

Well its grinding second gear at high rpms. If I drive normal no grind but still seems a little different finding second. I left cags cylinoid in but did not hook it up. Using a4 harness.
So could it be the clutch but it would do it on all gears right. Also thought maybe master still has air but the same thing wouldn't it do it to all gears.
I told him he could have it checked out but if it needs a Rebuild I wanted my 400 back. That might be interesting and difficult lol.

Any suggestions would help thank you
Old 03-02-2011, 03:10 PM
On The Tree

Just thought I'd mention that it was not in his car. This was a donor car that he bought for an ls1 swap in his 88 Corvette. So he didn't know how it ran just off word of his mechanic that has the wrecked Trans am
Old 03-02-2011, 04:52 PM
Launching!

I think you are right on the ball buddy. Sounds like synchros to me.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:54 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow atleast he offered some cash back.. The guy I got my swap from hosed me. Said it needed a blocker. When I pulled it it needed new gears and possibly hub, havent finished yet, and he never gave me the master.

Anyways sounds like syncros, could be the gear its self. Are you using a factory shifter or aftermarket.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:21 PM
On The Tree

Well we came to an agreement he pays for parts I pay for labor. Good thing my tranny Guy quoted me 550 for rebuild. Aftermarket b&m shifter but I really want to trade that for the Hurst that came stock. I liked it this one Is too long
Old 03-03-2011, 11:57 AM
Teching In

Was synchos for me too. I bought an LS2 drop out from Cleveland Pick a Part and after I'd finished my build, something like 9 months later, I discovered the same problem as you, except that it happened at pretty much any RPMS.

I could plainly feel that the 2nd gear blocker wasn't gripping at all, once I'd took the box apart.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:45 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drago1217
Well we came to an agreement he pays for parts I pay for labor. Good thing my tranny Guy quoted me 550 for rebuild. Aftermarket b&m shifter but I really want to trade that for the Hurst that came stock. I liked it this one Is too long
Man That is awesome what a stand up guy. Not many left from what I have experianced. Is he on here. Parts are the most costly part of the build. i would recommend stepping up to the viper 2nd gear, kevlar blockers, syncros, bronze fork pads and steel syncro keys. Of course bearings and seals. This should be able to handle about 600hp.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:55 PM
On The Tree

He's not on here but I told him he should be. Yeah hopefully he still pulls through when the time comes

Quick Reply: grind second