Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil leaking between engine and transmission

Could this come from rear main seal or valve covers
Old 03-02-2011, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Probably rear main seal. if it were your valve covers, you would see oil seepage/buildup on the valve covers
Old 03-02-2011, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

By your statement of it being oil, my best guess would be the rear main seal. However, if it's a thicker oil it could be trans fluid... or potentially engine oil in your transmission.

Regardless of which, THErobertH is spot on. Definitely want to get that checked out ASAP.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:10 AM
Launching!

It could possibly be the oil pressure sending unit or maybe even the crank position sensor. The OPSU in at the top back of the engine behind the intake manifold. The CPS is somewhere on the back of the engine, I think.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by elwood2
It could possibly be the oil pressure sending unit or maybe even the crank position sensor. The OPSU in at the top back of the engine behind the intake manifold. The CPS is somewhere on the back of the engine, I think.
The CKP is above the starter on the rear passenger side of the engine, if I recall. Definitely a possibility.

The OPSU would cause an almost equal leak down both sides of the bell housing, wouldn't it?

OP needs to determine where the oil/fluid is mostly leaking down to and from That'd be the only semi-accurate way to help find the potential cause. I would definitely consider the rear main and OPSU. The CKP I wouldn't think of as a top suspect, however I suppose anything can leak from anywhere.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:02 AM
Teching In

100& rear main. bought my car with a bad rear main and had it changed.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:53 AM
Launching!

I think the only way to really tell is pull the trans off. If you see no fresh oil coming from the top of the motor and see just a trail from behind the pressure plate its the rear main seal. When you put everything back together make sure you have someone check your pinion angle and. Could also be an input shaft seal on the transmission.

Quick Reply: oil leaking between engine and transmission