Sponsored by:

Best place to buy E38 ECM and Accel Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 08:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best place to buy E38 ECM and Accel Pedal

Hey guys,
Where would be the best place to buy a E38 Ecu and pedal for my L92?
Obviously junkyards are a possibility, but is there a better reputable online source that doesn't charge an arm and a leg?

Also, is there any E38 ECM I want to stay away from?
I'm planning to get the ECU tuned(probably gonna buy HP tuners) to delete the rear 02's, VATS, etc.

Thanks,
Brad
Old 03-04-2011, 02:07 AM
Staging Lane

Just picked up the ecu, interested in getting the throtle cable and pedal as well
Old 03-04-2011, 08:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

FWIW, I think getting the E38 pre-flashed with the correct OS is a requirement. There's an Ebay seller (spare-ecm or something) that can do this for you and is what I'm planning on my L92 project. I assume you're keeping the DBW, so you will probably be better off getting a new DBW late-model pedal from a vehicle that fits your application. I'll be getting a 2007 vette DBW pedal new from partszoneonline.com
Old 03-05-2011, 08:59 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
FWIW, I think getting the E38 pre-flashed with the correct OS is a requirement. There's an Ebay seller (spare-ecm or something) that can do this for you and is what I'm planning on my L92 project. I assume you're keeping the DBW, so you will probably be better off getting a new DBW late-model pedal from a vehicle that fits your application. I'll be getting a 2007 vette DBW pedal new from partszoneonline.com
Hey man, I'm planning to get HP tuners and do it myself...I have turbos in my future so might as well start now.

I am keeping the DBW. So I do want to the DBW pedal.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:04 AM
Needs to finish car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BelAir1000
Hey man, I'm planning to get HP tuners and do it myself...I have turbos in my future so might as well start now.

I am keeping the DBW. So I do want to the DBW pedal.
He's right, getting the ECM flashed with the correct OS is critical. You can't do that with HP. I got a blank one for my project, and HP couldn't flash it. I had to tow the car to a dealer and have them use the Tech II to flash an OS on it. Fortunately, I know a guy there that hooked me up for only $50. Once it had an OS on it, I was good to go with HPtuners.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Chris442
He's right, getting the ECM flashed with the correct OS is critical. You can't do that with HP. I got a blank one for my project, and HP couldn't flash it. I had to tow the car to a dealer and have them use the Tech II to flash an OS on it. Fortunately, I know a guy there that hooked me up for only $50. Once it had an OS on it, I was good to go with HPtuners.
So I need an ECU that is flashed with the 07 Escalade L92 VVT file prior to using the HP tuners?

So if I buy an E38 out of a Corvette(or other app it will not work) without first flashing with the Escalade OS it wont work?

This is news to me. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:44 PM
Needs to finish car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BelAir1000
So I need an ECU that is flashed with the 07 Escalade L92 VVT file prior to using the HP tuners?

So if I buy an E38 out of a Corvette(or other app it will not work) without first flashing with the Escalade OS it wont work?

This is news to me. Thanks for the info.
Well, you wouldn't necessarily have to have the exact year and model, but you'd have to at a minimum have one that had VVT and AFM (DOD) if you want to use those. My understanding is that even though tables and parameters for that stuff show up in HPTuners for a, say, Corvette, they don't do anything if you hook it up to an engine that has those features. The TBs and gas pedals can also be problematic when trying to use ones that didn't come with a certain ECM. I'm sure there's exceptions to this, though.

I also understand, from what I've seen, that not all E38s are created equal. I don't think one out of a new Camaro, for example, could even work with the Escalade OS you mentioned. The newest cars can't even be tuned by a Tech II, as GM has moved away from them to laptop based tuning and diagnostics.

All in all, I think you'd be best served by staying close to the engine's original application. I'm sure there's other vehicles and a year range that will work, but I'm not as familiar with the truck stuff. I'm sure there's plenty of people on here that know more about the specifics than I do.

Also, another note about HPtuners. If you buy a computer and want to have it reflashed to another OS, do not attempt to tune it with HPtuners first. If you license it with one OS, then put another on, you'll be out the first license. Quick way to burn $100, and I managed to pull this one off myself trying to flash prior to going to the dealer.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Chris442
Well, you wouldn't necessarily have to have the exact year and model, but you'd have to at a minimum have one that had VVT and AFM (DOD) if you want to use those. My understanding is that even though tables and parameters for that stuff show up in HPTuners for a, say, Corvette, they don't do anything if you hook it up to an engine that has those features. The TBs and gas pedals can also be problematic when trying to use ones that didn't come with a certain ECM. I'm sure there's exceptions to this, though.

I also understand, from what I've seen, that not all E38s are created equal. I don't think one out of a new Camaro, for example, could even work with the Escalade OS you mentioned. The newest cars can't even be tuned by a Tech II, as GM has moved away from them to laptop based tuning and diagnostics.

All in all, I think you'd be best served by staying close to the engine's original application. I'm sure there's other vehicles and a year range that will work, but I'm not as familiar with the truck stuff. I'm sure there's plenty of people on here that know more about the specifics than I do.

Also, another note about HPtuners. If you buy a computer and want to have it reflashed to another OS, do not attempt to tune it with HPtuners first. If you license it with one OS, then put another on, you'll be out the first license. Quick way to burn $100, and I managed to pull this one off myself trying to flash prior to going to the dealer.
Thanks for the info Chris.
Posted on HPT's board but no response yet.

Quick Reply: Best place to buy E38 ECM and Accel Pedal