General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Starting/idle issues after tune.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 02:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starting/idle issues after tune.

I recently had my car tuned with one of Frost's bolt on tunes last week. Right before I took the PCM out I filled up at a gas station that's pretty notorious for having water in it's gas, the car sat for almost a week while the PCM was getting tuned. Upon initial start up with the newly tuned PCM it started pretty smooth (a little on the weak side) and idled strongly. I drove it around the block not expecting perfection knowing it needed to relearn everything but it was very smooth with no problems at all. So I came back to the house to grab my wallet so I could drive around town and when I came back outside my car was no longer running. From that point on the car will not start without having to give it a little gas and goes through stages where it will idle fine then surge between 800 and 400 rpm's at idle, it is slow to react to me turning on/off the a/c (sometimes is will die) and also sometimes has a hanging idle when coming to a stop it will stay around 1800 rpms then slowly work its way back down to normal. After 10 minutes of driving it will drive perfect minus a slight hesitation kicking up when the a/c is turned on. I'm completely stumped, I was really hoping it was just bad gas but I added a bottle of Iso-HEET, and drove it around to about a quarter tank of the bad gas and filled up at another station so I have 3/4 of a tank of good gas and 1/4 of what I think is watered down gas. I'm getting no codes at all, I've checked all sensors, made sure all plug wires are tight and all the obvious things. The car was running absolutely perfect before. Any ideas?
Old 03-05-2011, 06:57 PM
Staging Lane

IAT sensor? What readings does the computer use for start up and which readings for idle?
Old 03-07-2011, 07:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Call Frost, He is a solid guy and will be able to help ya out, My first mail order tune was done by him, and I had no problems.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:39 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah I've been in touch with him, he's sending me an alternate PCM to work with. He's been nothing but help since I first emailed him.