General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

99 Z-28 Serious engine misfire and SES lite flashing

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 06:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 99 Z-28 Serious engine misfire and SES lite flashing

Hello all, I parked my 99 Z-28 the other night, went into McDonalds got a burger came back out , started her up and out of the blue she dropped a cylinder. SES lite cam on. Naturally I checked all the obvious stuff, it was dark, so I opened the hood to see if I could see any arcing of plug wires etc. Nothing.

I went to Autozone and had the codes read. The codes are below, ANY advise for a guy who's been laid off for awhile and has a very low budget would be welcomed. Thanks in advance. Bob, Orlando
-----------------------------------------------
Thu Mar 3 15:04:06 2011
AutoZone #2484
2074 CTRL FLA PKWV
ORLANDO, FL 32837
(407)858-9996
-------------------------------------------------
OEM Number to Cross: P1416

Definition
Air system bank 2 fault

Explanation
during the Air system test the ECH looks for a change in the 02 sensor voltage - No change was detected

Probable cause
l. - Air pump electrical circuit fault
2. - Blocked Air system
3. - Failed Air pump
OEM Number to Cross: P0301

Definition
Cylinder misfire detected-cylinder number 1

Explanation
The power train control nodule monitors the
crankshaft speed and has detected a misfire
condition

Probable cause
l. - Ignition system fault-spark plug(s), ignition wires coil
2. - Vacuum leak
3. - Injector fault
4. - - high or low fuel pressure
OEM Number to Cross: P0418

Definition
Secondary Air injection system fault

Explanation
The Air injection system is monitored for faults
Probable cause
l.- Circuit relay defective or fuse oven
2.- Check connector and wiring
3.- Air pump defective or hoses blocked
OEM Number to Cross: P0412

Definition

Explanation
The Air injection system is monitored for faults
Probable cause
l.- Circuit relay defective or fuse open
l.- Check connector and wiring
3.- Air pump defective or hoses blocked
OEM Number to Cross: P0410

Definition

Explanation
The Air injection system is monitored far faults
Probable cause
l. - Circuit relay defective or fuse open
2. - Check connector end wiring
3. - Air pump defective or hoses blocked
Old 03-03-2011, 06:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow got alot of codes there, have you had those secondary codes previously from an egr! or anything? Since its just one cylinder, bad spark plug, wire or coil on cylinder 1 maybe?
Old 03-03-2011, 06:34 PM
Teching In

Yes, the light had come on before this, I was too damn lazy to have it read because I was being cheap. So now I'm paying the price.

I am hoping some of the knowledgeable folks would be able to do the forensics on the full read of the codes like a CSI type deal. I wish I had a pile of money to throw at this but I dont. I need a cost efective solution for now until my financial circumstances improve. Tall order, I know.

Last edited by TeeRod; 03-03-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:16 PM
Launching!

Air codes arent going to cause a misfire....

your misfire is specific to cylinder 1. Here's what you do. (it's easier if you have a datalogging scantool, if not, hope a light pops, then read the code). Swap the #1 spark plug wire with any other easily accessible plug wire. Check to see if the misfire moves to the cylinder you swapped the wire to, if not, then swap the plug, then the coil. Basically, you're trying to find the culprit here by seeing if the misfire moves to a different cylinder. Last resort would be to swap an injector with another cylinder, it's rare for those to catastrophically fail like that. Let us know what you find.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:52 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yup...do everything "brutl" said....in that exact order. Its all free.

But if that light was Flashing it was seeing MULTIPLE misfires.

If you're near the downtown area you can go by Mecedo Motorsports (great guys over there), he'll probably scan you for free with a real OBDII scanner so he can see whats up in real time while the engine is running. He did that for me once because I had all kinds of wierd **** going on.....I could have went nuts weeding out possibilities all day long.....but he told me in 30 seconds it was one of my 02 sensors. And NO...you will not get an SES light or a code for a failing 02 sensor until its almost totally gone or the engine is running so bad it'll sound like its gonna fall out of the car.
And a failing 02 sensor can cause misfires.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:13 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BRUTL
Air codes arent going to cause a misfire....

your misfire is specific to cylinder 1. Here's what you do. (it's easier if you have a datalogging scantool, if not, hope a light pops, then read the code). Swap the #1 spark plug wire with any other easily accessible plug wire. Check to see if the misfire moves to the cylinder you swapped the wire to, if not, then swap the plug, then the coil. Basically, you're trying to find the culprit here by seeing if the misfire moves to a different cylinder. Last resort would be to swap an injector with another cylinder, it's rare for those to catastrophically fail like that. Let us know what you find.
Thanks Brutl, Thats exactly the kind of thing I can do. Ill do it and let you know -Bob
Old 03-04-2011, 11:17 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS6427
Yup...do everything "brutl" said....in that exact order. Its all free.

But if that light was Flashing it was seeing MULTIPLE misfires.

If you're near the downtown area you can go by Mecedo Motorsports (great guys over there), he'll probably scan you for free with a real OBDII scanner so he can see whats up in real time while the engine is running. He did that for me once because I had all kinds of wierd **** going on.....I could have went nuts weeding out possibilities all day long.....but he told me in 30 seconds it was one of my 02 sensors. And NO...you will not get an SES light or a code for a failing 02 sensor until its almost totally gone or the engine is running so bad it'll sound like its gonna fall out of the car.
And a failing 02 sensor can cause misfires.

Ill bet you are right LS6427, it consistently starts to flash at speeds over about 15 mph. You are right about it feeling like its going to fall out of the car. It makes me feel like Im being torchered just listening to it. -Bob

Last edited by TeeRod; 03-04-2011 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:38 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TeeRod
Ill bet you are right LS6427, it consistently starts to flash at speeds over about 15 mph. You are right about it feeling like its going to fall out of the car. It makes me feel like Im being torchered just listening to it. -Bob
Well, if it does happen to be a bad 02 sensor.....since you're on a budget.....go to www.rockauto.com

Buy the Denso 02 sensors #2344087 They cost $38.00 now.

Also, search that part number on Amazon, they usually have them with one day shipping for about the same price.

Densos are the sensors that GM now sells at all their dealerships as their own sensors. You will get a Denso sensor in an AC Delco box. They sell them upwards of $180.00 each..... Best sensor ever made. DO NOT buy Bosch sensors.

If you jack the car up you can replace a sensor in 5 minutes with a crescent wrench.

Did you call Mecedo Motorsports for a scan? Be sure with a scan before you buy anything though.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:53 PM
Teching In

Thanks LS6427, I have been out of action for about a week. She is still sitting in the garage waiting for me to start working on her. I'm ready now so I will keep you posted. Sorry about just dropping out of the loop for awhile, couldnt be avoided.

I will take your advise on the 02 sensors if I need any. I didn't get in touch with the folks at Mecedo yet. I let you know how that goes when I do.

In case I do need 02 sensors, how many are there? I went to the Rockauto site and they implied there were 2 per side. Does that sound correct?

Here are some pictures of a valve that is on both sides of the engine. I can't seem to locate these in any parts catalog.

The one on the passenger side is totally discolored from heat and has a split. The other side is painted black and seems to be OK.

These are connected to the exhaust manifold directly on both sides and looks like a crossover. What do you think and what is the name of these guys?

---

---

--
Thanks for all of your help
Bob

Last edited by TeeRod; 03-11-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:49 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks LS6427, I have been out of action for about a week. She is still sitting in the garage waiting for me to start working on her. I'm ready now so I will keep you posted. Sorry about just dropping out of the loop for awhile, couldnt be avoided.

I will take your advise on the 02 sensors if I need any. I didn't get in touch with the folks at Mecedo yet. I let you know how that goes when I do.

In case I do need 02 sensors, how many are there? I went to the Rockauto site and they implied there were 2 per side. Does that sound correct?

Thanks for all of your help
Bob
Yea, there is 4 o2 sensors total.

This is a shot in the dark, but I believe a plugged catalytic converter could cause both the misfire and the Air pump codes.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Tim94gt
Yea, there is 4 o2 sensors total.

This is a shot in the dark, but I believe a plugged catalytic converter could cause both the misfire and the Air pump codes.
Thanks, I just edited the post above this and added some pics. Here is my country boy logic so far and I haven't finished with what Brutl suggested yet. But maybe the passenger side catalytic converter plugged up this is a reserve pressure relief of some sort, I kept driving it until the valve gave out and slammed shut. Then it got so hot it split the case of the relief valve.

I kinda hope I'm wrong about this theory and its just a spark plug or something simple. I'm going to finish in the morning testing but if it is a converter wouldn't I be better off gutting the converter rather than replacing the converter?
Old 03-12-2011, 11:42 PM
Teching In

Thanks, I just edited the post above this and added some pics. Here is my country boy logic so far and I haven't finished with what Brutl suggested yet. But maybe the passenger side catalytic converter plugged up this is a reserve pressure relief of some sort, I kept driving it until the valve gave out and slammed shut. Then it got so hot it split the case of the relief valve.

I kinda hope I'm wrong about this theory and its just a spark plug or something simple. I'm going to finish in the morning testing but if it is a converter wouldn't I be better off gutting the converter rather than replacing the converter?
UPDATE:
Turns out the above mentioned valve with the split in it is simply called an "AIR system check valve". I went to the dealer and picked up a new valve. FYI Chevrolet #22040805 or #2204821 price $32.26.

It did not fix the misfire on #1 but it seem more quiet and a little smoother but it's definitely not a fix. The P1416 code error is gone now. I have cleared all of the error codes so I will see if it still throws the same SES errors tomorrow. I am continuing to run Brutl's test tomorrow also.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:43 AM
On The Tree

did the o2's fix your misfire...im having the same symptoms as you....did a compression check on my cylinders and everything was fine..did a tune up, swapped coil packs, etc. just curious to see if it fixed it
Old 03-26-2011, 11:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bandit2000
did the o2's fix your misfire...im having the same symptoms as you....did a compression check on my cylinders and everything was fine..did a tune up, swapped coil packs, etc. just curious to see if it fixed it
Because my budget has been so screwed it's been a slow process. I haven't driven her for nearly a month now. I replaced the plug, the wire and replaced the AIR check valve for the passenger side bank (I had a picture of that above). still no love.

I just ordered the 4 Denso Oxygen Sensors from Rockauto yesterday, 2 day shipping came to $166.00 and change. I must say the recommendation for Rockauto by one of the other users was a good tip. That company is special give it a try if you want a human to talk to after the sale. DENSO 2ea 2344087, DENSO 2ea 2344025. I have a 99 Z-28 NOT Caly-forn-ee-yah (the governator).

I will keep posting as I conclude this project but its going slow.

You mentioned you did a compression test. Did you remove ALL of the plugs or just the cylinder that was suspect. If so what process did you use.

Regards
Old 03-27-2011, 10:29 PM
Teching In

I am having the same issues. My misfire is a P0304 code. Cylinder #4. I have a code reader, and it has data logging. I put 8 new plugs, 8 new wires, and replaced the coil on #4. Still having the same issue. Sometimes it is a P0300 Random Misfire code. It popped that when I pulled in into the garage on the short trip, and right after replacing all the wires and plugs. I double checked the spark plug wires, and put them back on the coils, some were loose, and the Random Misfire code disapeared till today, when I pulled it into the garage.

I cleared the code, replaced the coil, and now it's flashing just the P0304 code again. If it wasn't for the very rare random misfire code poping up, I wouldn't doubt the injector was bad, but it is also running very rich at the same time. Should I replace the O2 sensors, or try and change the injectors around? I pulled the plug and the plug was covered in fuel.

Edit: Just checked, I have spark at #4 plug. Good strong spark too

Last edited by Nuvey; 03-27-2011 at 10:53 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Nuvey
I am having the same issues. My misfire is a P0304 code. Cylinder #4. I have a code reader, and it has data logging. I put 8 new plugs, 8 new wires, and replaced the coil on #4. Still having the same issue. Sometimes it is a P0300 Random Misfire code. It popped that when I pulled in into the garage on the short trip, and right after replacing all the wires and plugs. I double checked the spark plug wires, and put them back on the coils, some were loose, and the Random Misfire code disapeared till today, when I pulled it into the garage.

I cleared the code, replaced the coil, and now it's flashing just the P0304 code again. If it wasn't for the very rare random misfire code poping up, I wouldn't doubt the injector was bad, but it is also running very rich at the same time. Should I replace the O2 sensors, or try and change the injectors around? I pulled the plug and the plug was covered in fuel.

Edit: Just checked, I have spark at #4 plug. Good strong spark too
I should have my new set of 02 sensors installed Tuesday, God willing. I will post the results ASAP after that. I would think if you found fuel on the suspect injector is putting fuel where it should be. It's my understanding that an 02 sensor(s) can produce some very strange occurrences. With that kind of a variable I must eliminate it. I have just gotten hold of a compression test gauge so I will run a compression test tomorrow, Monday.
Stay tuned...
Regards
Old 03-31-2011, 10:03 PM
Teching In

Did you get them installed? Is it fixed?
Old 03-31-2011, 10:48 PM
Teching In

Not yet, the tomorrow though. Storms today here in Orlando had my attention.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:47 PM
Teching In

Angry

No love, replaced the oxygen sensors yesterday, all 4. Runs a little better but still have the dead miss on #1. Today I did what I should have done before replacing the 02's. A compression check revealed ZERO COMPRESSION on #1.

I hear a tick while running, sounds like possibly what a tappet sounded like in the old days, especially Chrysler products would have a tappet that would stick on the 318/360 small blocks. This never leaves though.

I will be removing the left valve cover where #1 is located. I want to try to slip in and out without doing any big work like reworking the both heads etc. I'm hoping it's just a bad or broken spring or bent push rod or messed up rocker. I just want to replace the worn or broken part(s). If it's more then so be it, but I'm hoping for the best. It may be a lifter too I know. Any tips? Last car I got this deep into was a 57 Chevy 283 39 years ago. The aluminum LS1 is an incredible advancement to me.

Does anyone have some advice or tips before or after I start? I would gladly receive anything you have to offer.

Thanks

Last edited by TeeRod; 04-03-2011 at 11:54 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:36 PM
Teching In

I just got my compression checker today. I'm afraid it's a bent pushrod too. They aren't expensive, but I'm not looking forward to changing them.

Quick Reply: 99 Z-28 Serious engine misfire and SES lite flashing