Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E electrical plug-in leaking on top of pan….

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 10:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E electrical plug-in leaking on top of pan….

I’ve got my RPM stg 6 4L60E trans out to change the stall in the torque converter and it has never leaked a drop but now there is a huge puddle of trans fluid under it that is seeping out around the round grey electrical plug-in located just above the oil pan on the passenger side (it’s the main plug-in for the trans)

Anyway the plug-in will move up and down and turn as well. Should it move at all? And I push it down it leaks really bad and it looks like it’ll fall inside the trans if I keep pushing on it, if I pull up on it, it seems to stop leaking so I’m wondering does the plug-in that’s in the car keep that sealed when its plugged in??

If not what’s the deal? – This trans is brand new other than a few passes at the dragstrip and maybe 100 street miles on it
Old 03-04-2011, 10:32 AM
Launching!

There are tabs on the connector to keep it from pushing in alot of times the tabs get broken if you do not have the tool to get it out.Being that the trans is new it should have a new wire harness It should not not move at all.To fix it right it needs a new wire harness.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:58 AM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

It will move a little. There should be some resistance to it moving up and down if the proper o-ring is on it.

It sounds like they left the o-ring off. It should not leak even when it's unplugged.

You can drop the pan and check it.

Last edited by Jays_SSZ28; 01-30-2018 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:00 PM
TECH Regular

Okay that makes sense, all of the tabs are hooked and look good (not broken) but the cylindrical part slides up and down with resistance but the hooks do not move. In other words the pic shows it all as 1 assembly but yet mine feels like it has 2 parts? If that makes any sense.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:04 PM

I doubt that RPM left the seal off of the case connector. They use new harnesses in their transmissions and these are installed when we buy them. I'm going to guess that something happened when you removed the trans or the vehicles wiring harness. If the main internal harness connector is still locked into the case then there is a possibility that the inside seal where the pins are located has come loose. I would try to push it back into the main connector until it snaps into place. Here is a picture of the inside of what I'm talking about here. If you have any pic's post them so we can see what your dealing with here.
Name:  IMG_4534-1.jpg
Views: 20802
Size:  90.7 KB
Old 03-07-2011, 10:10 AM
TECH Regular

UPDATE: aka i'm retarded, the hooks were "not" hooked over the aluminum case like they should of been, i probably did it or something, anyway i pulled the plug-in up untill they all snapped out and wahhlaaa the leak stopped.
Thanks guys!
Old 09-08-2013, 12:42 PM

don't mean to hijack.. On my 4l60e, I have trans fluid inside of the plug.. If you look at the pic above, inside the connector where it is white and the prongs are, that's where I have trans fluid..

any idea what would cause this?
Old 09-08-2013, 08:15 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

First, it is generally better to start a new thread rather than resurrect such an old one. Goto Forums -> Automatic Transmissions and click the [New Thread] button in the upper left corner. (Some people miss this.)

To answer your question, I suspect the connector in the trans (part of the internal harness) had developed some small cracks and is now seeping ATF. I don't think it would hurt anything as long as the amount is not making puddles. If you are really concerned, replace the internal harness; it is about $30.

Quick Reply: 4L60E electrical plug-in leaking on top of pan….