Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Gauges and radio not working.. please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 05:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauges and radio not working.. please help

Hey guys, I need some help. I have a 2000 trans am ws6 with about 34,000 miles. I stored it for the winter but before I stored it the speedometer, tachometer, and fuel gauge stopped working completely but decided to wait until spring came around to fix it. There seems to be no power whatsoever to both the gauges and radio (also, trunk wont open with remote but don't know if it could be related). The radio and all other electronics are stock. Only mods are Corsa catback and an SLP airbox lid.

Aside from the radio and gauges, the car runs/starts/drives great. the fuses are all good and I even replaced them to be sure. What could be wrong? I want to try avoid going to the dealer and spending big bucks if I could do it myself. Any and all help is much appreciated!!
Old 03-05-2011, 06:03 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You already replaced the fuses located just inside the driver's side door?
Old 03-05-2011, 07:38 PM
Teching In

yea I replaced those ones, but only the "radio" and "gauges" fuses. I assumed those would be the only ones dedicated to those options unless i'm wrong.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:55 AM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

so i dont start a new thread...BUMP.

I somehow grounded out my fuel gauge by tapping into the lighter.
go figure.

unlike the OP, everything BUT the fuel gauge works.
just site dead at 3pm.

wtf?

hope someone can shed some light on how the gauges are all intertwined with other accessories.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:36 PM
Staging Lane

this **** just happned to me wtf how do i fix this
Old 04-13-2011, 08:28 PM
11 Second Club

i got lucky.....whatever i did to zap my gauges, the fuse saved all but the gas.....to fix the gas i had to take aart dash and unstick the needle.. since it went to 3pm on me, it got stuck.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:38 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BraVes50
Hey guys, I need some help. I have a 2000 trans am ws6 with about 34,000 miles. I stored it for the winter but before I stored it the speedometer, tachometer, and fuel gauge stopped working completely but decided to wait until spring came around to fix it. There seems to be no power whatsoever to both the gauges and radio (also, trunk wont open with remote but don't know if it could be related). The radio and all other electronics are stock. Only mods are Corsa catback and an SLP airbox lid.

Aside from the radio and gauges, the car runs/starts/drives great. the fuses are all good and I even replaced them to be sure. What could be wrong? I want to try avoid going to the dealer and spending big bucks if I could do it myself. Any and all help is much appreciated!!
I am having the same exact issues! Does anybody have any ideas?
Old 10-04-2013, 06:21 AM
Teching In

Question Did anyone figure out what was causing these problems?

Hey guys I know its been quite awhile since this thread started but Im hoping at least one of you figured out what the problem was and can tell me what to do and how to fix it. Ive got a 1999 Trans Am that these exact same things just stopped working. Everything was working fine when I parked it for the night but the next morning, when I went out to leave, the hatch wouldnt open with remote or button on the dash. My radio wouldnt come on and my speedometer, tach and fuel guage werent working either! Ive checked EVERYTHING I know to and cant figure out wtf is wrong! PLEASE help me if you can in ANY way. Thanks alot guys. I hope I hear from this SOON!!!!
Old 10-04-2013, 06:43 PM
11 Second Club

Silly but did you check every and I mean every fuse?

Is anything plugged into the cigg lighter?

It should only happen if a wire gets grounded. Hard part is figuring out where. I grounded my power wire when taking apart the lighter to use for a purge spot. I didn't disconnect the battery.

It cakes my gauge like above. I reran a wire to battery that supports the main wires that support the cluster and voila.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:50 PM
11 Second Club

Exactly^

It's crazy how many things are connected
Old 10-04-2013, 07:00 PM
Teching In

here. disregard my last message I deleted. it was a signal wire. just heed this schematic for starters:

Old 10-05-2013, 12:38 AM
Teching In

considering I dont even have a trans am. so I never had this problem I looked through alldata and from overall conclusion kept screaming at me is you got theft deterrent conflicts caused by a faulty BCM all because of the the theft deterrent which is not a separate module but it inside the BCM itself. Here, check out this diagram of the BCM has these security outputs at the same time it shows it accepting the voltage from the gauge fuse while it's controlling your hatch release:

What I would do if I was you is get a new bcm if you are frustrated enough. My camaro's BCM looks like it's really really easy to replace. it's on the passenger kick panel covered up by a simple piece of vinyl. I could plug and play a new one in 10mins. Also, the procedures to program a new one looks really easy to as long as you get a brand new, never used BCM. Here's the procedures:

i just say get a brand new one cause it says "this can only be done once for the life of the module" so I wouldn't chance it on a used one that's already been programmed before. Like I said, i never had your problem before. i just wanted to go through the effort since I read on ls1tech before but never interacted with it.

Last edited by LQ9-Muscle; 10-05-2013 at 12:40 AM. Reason: wanted to use a picture link and not a url
Old 10-07-2013, 07:02 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Before spending $314 at the dealer for a new BCM (yes, I know you can get it cheaper online but it's still expensive), I would want to be very sure that was the source of the problem. And the BCM has nothing to do with the instrument cluster gauges.

First thing - replace the GAUGES fuse. Don't ever rely on a visual inspection of an old fuse, they can be blown even when they look fine. If we assume that all the symptoms are caused by a single problem then the GAUGES fuse is the only common point among all the circuits involved. Otherwise, you must have more than one issue and it's just a coincidence that they happened at the same time.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:27 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LQ9-Muscle
here. disregard my last message I deleted. it was a signal wire. just heed this schematic for starters:

You made it look like I'm talking to myself by deleting that last post

But op, there is some good advice here.
Start from the easiet and progress from there till you find it.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:13 PM
Teching In

Check fuse #7. On my '97, it is labelled Pwr Accy. This one supplies the radio and gauges (and other stuff Im sure)
Old 10-21-2013, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

my sister had a similar issue... 2002 since 15k miles radio clock dot lights would always be doing something fuzzy making 8's look like 3's etc and guages would always be jumpy..so last years with under 40k miles i had to replace the alternator... and the problem stopped. she's the only owner and i'm really the only person who has ever worked on the car expect for shops to install tires...
Old 02-03-2015, 01:13 PM
Teching In

Talking

Originally Posted by sk8rh8r
Check fuse #7. On my '97, it is labelled Pwr Accy. This one supplies the radio and gauges (and other stuff Im sure)
The fuse was burned so it looked like it was complete. I never figured that there was a fuse for (at least) two other fuses, but it solved my problem.

Thanks sk8h8r!

Quick Reply: Gauges and radio not working.. please help