Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

SES light is nonfunctional.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 03:30 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default SES light is nonfunctional.

On a 99 Trans Am, is the SES light definately an LED from the factory? I don't suppose it's an easy removeable one and is soldered to the board? Mine is out and won't come on at all. Not on startup or when codes were present. I had the emissions codes tuned out and there were no codes showing up for the MIL system malfunctioning or anything.

I pulled the gauge cluster out and the only glass bulbs were the blinker bulbs and the backlighting bulbs all in those black twist lock holders. 161 bulbs. There were no bulbs even remotely close to the SES display. I did not pull the green circuit board out, but I assume that would be where the SES light is mounted to. If the light is an LED, the only way to fix it would be to removed the circuit board and solder in a brand new LED right?

If I were to pull the green circuit board, are the gauge needles attached to it? I'd rather not blindly pull it off and damage something in the process.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone was trying to hide something. Take the car to auto zone and have them check for codes
Old 03-07-2011, 11:31 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

How long have you had the car? Do you know where it came from? Sometimes, people will disable them to hide a lemon.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:32 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nah, nothing's hidden. I'd already checked the codes myself a while back. Only codes were from all the emissions related bits that were removed and noone bothered to tune out. I just had them tuned out along with adjusting for the different ratio rearend.

The cluster itself appears to be a factory reman though. It has extra stickers on the backside and side that seem to label it as a remanufactured unit. As the mileage is correct, I can only assume it was done at the dealer.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:55 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Elthesh
Nah, nothing's hidden. I'd already checked the codes myself a while back. Only codes were from all the emissions related bits that were removed and noone bothered to tune out. I just had them tuned out along with adjusting for the different ratio rearend.

The cluster itself appears to be a factory reman though. It has extra stickers on the backside and side that seem to label it as a remanufactured unit. As the mileage is correct, I can only assume it was done at the dealer.
Yea, I've heard of people killing the light instead of properly tuning the car for the emissions deletes. I wonder if the work done was to remove the light, etc. Is there a company name on the stickers?