LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Rocker Nuts Snapping...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Rocker Nuts Snapping...

Well i put a used set of Comp Pro Mags on my engine and when the builder at the shop went to install them one of the rocker nuts snapped in half. I know they dont require much of torqing down which is odd that one would snap right? The builder said it was really bizarre and said he never really see's these doing this. Question is does this happen more then we think and better off getting a new set just to be on the safe side then sorry later and engine goes boom?
Old 03-06-2011, 09:30 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The trunion of the rocker is machined on ONE side to accept the poly lock machined in "step",...if the trunion is turn the other side up(the unmachined side) then the mating surface becomes very sharp rather than completely circular,....
something to check?

Something I caught recently rebuilding a LT1 that came with ProMags from another owner, ie. no installation instructions.

Originally Posted by 95mysticta
Well i put a used set of Comp Pro Mags on my engine and when the builder at the shop went to install them one of the rocker nuts snapped in half. I know they dont require much of torqing down which is odd that one would snap right? The builder said it was really bizarre and said he never really see's these doing this. Question is does this happen more then we think and better off getting a new set just to be on the safe side then sorry later and engine goes boom?
Old 03-06-2011, 10:15 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by 95mysticta
It was probably cracked and when the builder went to torque the lock it snapped. Not common at all. Who knows how old they are. It's possible the locks were over torqued many times causing fatigue. I'd check all of them. Probably even replace them. They are not that expensive.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:08 AM
On The Tree

i have had this happen on two separate engines. i don't know if its just i dont know my own strength or they dont need to be that tight. but i have had them back off too..
Old 03-06-2011, 01:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently had a Comp poly lock break in half with the motor running. no harm done except for some ticking. At that time I was torqueing the set screws to 35# which appears to be a bit too much. Now torque them to 25# and that seems to be working well.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have also heard that the ARPs 300-8245 poly-locks are better than the Comps at resisting brekage.

I am going to get a set of these soon.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:35 PM
Teching In

The problem is there junk,my new set I installed did the same thing. I called Comp and they said they were over heat treated and that happened sometimes.They thought it was'nt a big deal and told me to replace them with new,I did but with a better brand. That was four years ago and no problems since.Some batches were ok and some were not.If you have them I would check them often.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wrd1972
I have also heard that the ARPs 300-8245 poly-locks are better than the Comps at resisting brekage.

I am going to get a set of these soon.
I think im going to go this route instead of going back to using a Comp set and have it happen again. I know ARP hardwear is top notch and it throwout my engine so might aswell hoy go for it.

Thanks
Old 03-07-2011, 05:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wrd1972
I recently had a Comp poly lock break in half with the motor running. no harm done except for some ticking. At that time I was torqueing the set screws to 35# which appears to be a bit too much. Now torque them to 25# and that seems to be working well.
I've used the ARPs also, and if I remember correctly, they call for 22 ft/lbs, so you're in the ball park.

I think what "TIImuch" said has some merit....something to check out.

Quick Reply: Rocker Nuts Snapping...