LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

My Old Formula Update...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 10:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Default My Old Formula Update...

Well, my old car made its maiden voyage with the new owner at Cecil County Dragway yesterday. I couldn't be there to watch/drive and I guess it was for the best. The car reportedly left amazingly well, pulling the fronts 6-8" evenly...running a new best 60' of 1.50...too bad the damn newly freshened trans took a crap on the first run! The new owner took it in stride, but I'm pretty pissed for him. Anyway, the trans builder is going to take care of him, but it sucks that the ol' Formula was probably on its way to a new best. The changes I made last year to the stall, suspension, and tires are apparently working well. I'm confident in a 10 second pass in the near future...

--Alan
Old 03-06-2011, 10:59 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

With the weather the way it was this weekend there's no doubt it would've been a best. I tried to get there on Friday night to no avail.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:14 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SS RRR
With the weather the way it was this weekend there's no doubt it would've been a best. I tried to get there on Friday night to no avail.
Yeah thats what frustrates me...He was at Cecil with a crew from RPM and I feel badly that it broke. It shouldn't have. I use a trusted trans builder who builds great, track proven 4L60Es which is why I'm perplexed that it failed. It could be as simple as pushing the front seal on the trans. He may also look into a TH400 with a 2.75 gear set and a transbrake. The new owner is making it a dedicated drag car so he doesn't need OD anymore. Launching that thing off a transbrake would be pretty cool.

--Alan
Old 03-06-2011, 11:55 AM
Rob
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It happens. I snapped a billet input shaft at MIR one year in the TTA. It wasn't supposed to happen at my power level, but it did.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:57 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh bummer! Cool the trans guy is taking care of it! You guys are lucky to be out at all. We still have snow and more on the way !
Old 03-06-2011, 09:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by AChotrod
Oh bummer! Cool the trans guy is taking care of it! You guys are lucky to be out at all. We still have snow and more on the way !
Yeah, the trans was just rebuilt a few months ago and only had a few hundred miles on it. I'm glad the builder is taking care of the new owner, but I expected that he would. He's a real good, stand up guy who stands behind his work, and builds a quality product. I can't wait to see what broke and why. The new owner is also toying with the idea of a TH400 with a 2.75 gear set and a transbrake since it's really going to be a dedicated track car. It was cool to hear that it was hitting harder than ever and pulling the fronts a good 6-8"...That's pretty cool!

--Alan

Quick Reply: My Old Formula Update...