New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sounds like theres a saw cutting a piece of wood on rear end diff?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 03:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Sounds like theres a saw cutting a piece of wood on rear end diff?

One night I was driving home from school like and average person. I started hearing a noise on the rear. At first i thought i had a nail on the tire didn't bother to check it. Got home parked it and called it a day. The next day(saturday) i went outside jacked up the car checked the tire everything looked ok. I spun the wheel a couple of times and started to hear a small noise. I checked the rear end fluid and it was pitch black. So I went to the stealership got a lsd additive and bought the oil. When I drained it I didn't see any metal shavings or any other abnormal stuff in there. One thing i noticed is that the passanger rear axle has like 1/8" play in it. I can slightly pull it and push it in is that normal? And also the sound has gotten worse it sounds like some one is cutting a piece of wood with a hand saw on the rear its just annoying. Oh one more thing theres also a loud thump on the rear when braking hard. Could it be the U-Joint or Just the rear end going bad?

Thanks in advance, Daniel
Old 03-06-2011, 06:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

probably your ring and pinion.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

time for a rebuild sir..pull the cover off and see what you find on the magnet..
Old 03-07-2011, 07:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If your getting the play by moving the wheel up and down ,,I doubt the ring and pinion,,,its much more likely an axle shaft bearing, if its bad expect to buy a new axle shaft also..There will be movement by pushing the wheel in and out, because the axles are held in place by C-clips and there is always some clearance between the carrier pin and the end of the axleshaft. Now if there is alot of movement that is a serious problem.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:33 PM
Teching In

I rechecked the rear diff today. Again i found out that every time i spin the wheel theres a bearing inside that moves in and out causing the noise would it be hard to replace the bearing inside the housing what else would i have to replace besides that? New axles? New gear? is it worth the fix or Is this a good excuse to upgrade...
Old 03-07-2011, 01:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

i vote for upgrade