Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 11:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust question

if I were to just buy the lm2 bullet muffler, could i just replace the stock muffler on my 99 formula with it? or would i have to do work to make it fit
?
Old 03-07-2011, 12:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any muffler swap is going to require cutting and welding or clamping. As long as it's the right diameter it will work and even if it's not muffler shops can usually fab up just about everything.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

the stock muffler sits behind the axle, The LM mufflers are a bullet style muffler that sits under the passenger side compartment,,,,So NO it is not a matter of just cutting the stocker out and placing the LM in. LOOK up TSP and have a look at their rumbler cat-back system.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:24 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by RARON455
the stock muffler sits behind the axle, The LM mufflers are a bullet style muffler that sits under the passenger side compartment,,,,So NO it is not a matter of just cutting the stocker out and placing the LM in.
Exactly.

A bullet muffler has a single in, single out configuration. The stock muffler is a single in, dual out (cross-flow) configuration. They are not interchangeable. You would have to do extensive modification to the stock system to make the bullet work and still have two tail pipes. It can be done, but you might as well just buy a whole new catback.