Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much strain is put on the starter remote wire? (Purple 12 gauge wire)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 10:47 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much strain is put on the starter remote wire? (Purple 12 gauge wire)

The way I have it wired right now the starter wire comes from my painless fuse box, runs to the neutral safety switch, from there it goes to my starter switch, then it runs out to the starter remote lead. The problem is that the neutral safety switch and the ignition switch both use fairly small gauge wire.

How much juice is actually pulled through this wire and is it necessary to run a relay?

Thanks!
Old 03-07-2011, 12:01 PM
Needs to finish car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The starter solenoid is the relay. All that wire has to do is trip the solenoid, which doesn't take too much to do.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

Under high heat condittions, it can pull a fair amount of current, (for a 12 GA wire)

That's why some like to use remote solenoid (Ford) to trigger the starter mounted solenoid.

I would be more comfotable with 12 GA from the ignition switch all the way to the solenoid. All of those other switches and connections in between can potentially have a voltage drop which all add up.

I'm not sure I understand how you described the circuit routing. The circuit should start at the ignition switch, through the neutral safety switch, then the firewall connector, (unless the switch is on the transmission), then to the solenoid.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya the way you described your wiring is confusing.

Like said above. It should start at the ign switch.

Like this: Ignition switch ---->Neutral safety---->starter solenoid.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:28 PM
TECH Resident

sorry, yes, that is how it goes, ign. switch, to neutral safety, to the solenoid, problem is the hurst neutral safety switch has pretty small gauge wire. i wasn't sure if the solenoid acted like a relay and did not draw much juice or what.

looks like i should add in a relay.

Quick Reply: How much strain is put on the starter remote wire? (Purple 12 gauge wire)