General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Need help guys!!!

Old 03-07-2011, 02:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help guys!!!

I have 00 WS6 and yesterday I was doing the VATS bypss, well I put resistor in and it cranked, ( the car cranked and ran for 10 minutes prior to this) so I took out the resistor and put electrical tape on it and then put back in and then it wouldnt crank. checked resistance it was ok, car still wouldnt crank, so i plugged the harness back in, still wouldn't crank. NO security light was on when trying to crank!!! Did I **** off the computer and I need to unhook battery for a few hours and try again? I hear the fuel pump come on and Hear the clicking in the relay box, but I cant get it to turn over? I did however play with the ignition for a while and it turned over but wouldn't crank!!! But it only did that once, then wouldnt turn over again!!! NO SES codes. the car usually runs like a dream, never any issues??? help anyone, need this car running......
Old 03-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Staging Lane

Disconnect the battery for a while and then try it. If you've checked the resistance and it's fine there shouldn't be an issue?
Old 03-08-2011, 06:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

still no luck. Im thinking maybe its the starter? what ya guys think?
Old 03-08-2011, 06:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the starter and ignition relays first...
Old 03-08-2011, 08:12 PM
Staging Lane

If the relays are good. Check the connections at the starter. I've had those wiggle loose outta no where before
Old 03-26-2011, 07:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I checked the starter and it had no voltage at the small solenoid wire. But does have 12 volts from the battery, so that tells me it's not the starter.
So then I swapped the relays around using the fan relays, still nothing.
So where do I need to go from here?
Could my PCM be bad? What ab the actual VATS module? I did the bypass and nothing.
Could I have shorted something out?
I did clear a code on my computer right before this happened!!! It was a lean O2 sensor!! Could I have messed something up? I did it with a code reader.
Any advice is welcomed thanks
Old 03-28-2011, 10:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FBGSU02
I checked the starter and it had no voltage at the small solenoid wire. But does have 12 volts from the battery, so that tells me it's not the starter.
So then I swapped the relays around using the fan relays, still nothing.
So where do I need to go from here?
Could my PCM be bad? What ab the actual VATS module? I did the bypass and nothing.
Could I have shorted something out?
I did clear a code on my computer right before this happened!!! It was a lean O2 sensor!! Could I have messed something up? I did it with a code reader.
Any advice is welcomed thanks

try turning the key on for 10 min or so untill the security light goes out then try cranking it.. the grand ams/ malibu's sometimes have the same problem b4 the passkey goes out.. i know diffrent system but hey its worth a shot..
also try holding the unlock and lock buttons togeather on the keyfob for 10 seconds .. if you have one..
Old 04-05-2011, 01:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah, try hooking it up the way it was originally and turn your key on for 10 mins till the security light goes out, shut your key back to the off position and wait 20 seconds then try to start your car
Old 04-07-2011, 08:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ok got it fixed. It was a bad starter and the ingition relay was bad. Runs perfect now.

Search this Thread