General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Weird smell under hood

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 11:21 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird smell under hood

I have a very distinct smell coming from the indicated area in the below image.. About the best way to describe it is that it smells like a burnt up motor, i.e. hot metal/burnt rubber, or if you were to burn up a small motor in a dremel for instance. I can smell it all the time (as of yesterday) so not only when I try to use my wipers or washer fluid etc. Any suggestions, or indication as to what components are in this area (up against the firewall between the brake fluid reservior and the fender).. i havent had much time to look at it, but I am trying to get an idea as to what it may be first. I noticed the smell the strongest after doing a small burnout yesterday which makes me think clutch/ clutch reservoir but am not sure why the smell would linger for so long. Its very noticable outside the car with the hood closed..

the only thing I could see looking at it quickly was some brake fliud coming from the reservior when it was removed to replace the front shocks. Maybe its dripping on the exhaust?? i dunno if it would give off the smell though please help!!

Last edited by nichoLaS1; 03-09-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

wires, brake master, and clutch master are the only thongs in that area, If it were wires you would have something not working,, you losing any brake fluid.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RARON455
wires, brake master, and clutch master are the only thongs in that area, If it were wires you would have something not working,, you losing any brake fluid.
Brake fluid seems fine and everything electrical appears to be working.. I'm thinking its some burnt clutch lingering (smell comin up through the reservoir). At least I hope thats all it is
Old 03-10-2011, 08:53 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by nichoLaS1
I'm thinking its some burnt clutch lingering (smell comin up through the reservoir). At least I hope thats all it is
+1 Next time it happens, open the clutch reservoir and see if the smell intensifies. When was the last time you changed your clutch hydraulics/fluid?
Old 03-10-2011, 12:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wssix99
+1 Next time it happens, open the clutch reservoir and see if the smell intensifies. When was the last time you changed your clutch hydraulics/fluid?
smell appears to be gone today, so I'm pretty sure it was the clutch.. for the record though, clutch was replaced at approx 40k miles before I bought the car. it now has 61k so the clutch and fluids are fairly new
Old 03-10-2011, 02:36 PM
TECH Addict

If you did not replace the clutch yourself or seen it done. . . . . It is quite questionable.

A clutch at 40k? Why?

Someone ride the crap out of it or what?
Old 03-10-2011, 02:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by samson_420
If you did not replace the clutch yourself or seen it done. . . . . It is quite questionable.

A clutch at 40k? Why?

Someone ride the crap out of it or what?
From what I was told, the pressure plate had a bent finger. I dont know what caused it and/or know too much about pressure plates in clutches. All is well with it now though