LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

New motor and have a oil pressure/flow ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New motor and have a oil pressure/flow ?

I have a new engine that i just started to get up and running and im being very cautious as to making sure everything is perfect before i let run long or even atempt to drive anywhere. After a few checks today i started the motor up with a valve cover off so i can check rockers and oil flow ect... My oil pressure is just below 80psi and no noises that i can hear. I noticed that 1 rocker arm was not flowing any oil out of the hole that lubes the fulcrum and spring. I shut off the engine and let it site for an hour and went out again to fire it up to see how fast/slow oil made its way to the rockers. A few had oil within a few sec and then most had oil within a few more sec. With the exception of one.

I have not pulled the other cover yet to see if the corisponding rocker is the same way, i attached a video of the engine running with the cover off, its the one im trying to wave my finger at but my add kicked in and im not sure what i did.lol But im running a melling 55 pump that i stretched the spring a little to try and boost the pressure. some input would be great. thanks

Modds are 350 A4 LE heads 306cc 7.2 pushrods 1.6rr beehive springs melling 55 pump canton pan 10w30 oil no senthetic.

Video of engine running http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3svPHWwrLc
Old 03-09-2011, 06:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I would lossen the rocker in question and blow out the pushrod with compressed air or brake cleaner or something, then run oil through it and put it back in and see if that rocker gets oil afterwards when running.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im thinking that same thing, but im worried it may be a lifter. I forgot to mention all parts are brand new, and before i assembled anything i blow air threw them all. But there was a chance of debis entering the motor while i assembled it in the car for a day or two but very very little if any. Im starting to wonder if the pollin in the air somehow got into the motor while i was working and clogged it possibly. Thanks for your input
Old 03-09-2011, 06:36 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

How long did you wait before shutting the engine off? It could be the clearance in that lifter bore is more than the others so it may take significantly longer for oil to reach the rocker.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I only let it run for less than 3 min. I am being very careful and checking everything 2 3 4 times before i move on. The lifters are very low milage stock lifters that were fine prior to this new engine. The lifters are the only item not brand new.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just an "off the wall" question...What brand of oil filter are you using? Some of them flow better than others...
Old 03-10-2011, 12:03 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally i'd run the engine a little longer. Even bump the revs a bit to get the pressure up. If you're worried about burning something use a squirt can a squirt some oil onto the valve spring and rocker tip. Last motor I put together required a few minutes of running and half a dozen blips of the throttle before it finally got up top. That's what the assembly lube (if you put some on the lifters and valvetrain) is there for. To protect parts until it oils everything on its own....
Old 03-10-2011, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

I just finished up a rebuild as well. Took almost 20 mins of running before my rockers started flowing oil. I used new LS7 lifters. Soaked them in oil prior to installing. Once the motor warmed up black grease flowed out and then they started flowing oil. I have read a few things about new lifters being fileld with grease from the factory. My buddy pulled apart his new LS7 lifters before installing them and they were filled will with a very light oil. No grease.

Also FWIW, my rockers have never flowed any serious amount of oil. They should dribble. Your number one exh looks about the same as mine.

Put a little oil on your rockers and let it get up to operating temp.

Last edited by BlownEarDrums; 03-10-2011 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Sentence composition fail
Old 03-10-2011, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well thanks for your input. Im going to let it run for a while. I did yous ultra slick assem lube on everything. And i soaked everything in oil for 2 days prior to assembly. Are you refering to number 1 exhaust cause its the farthest away from the pump? And if its flowing good then i should have good oil flow or pressure? At least my nerves have calmed down a bit. This is my 3 engine in this car in 3 years. I finally broke down and did it all myself this time. just want to make sure i catch something now before i rev it up high and add my STS kit.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
just an "off the wall" question...what brand of oil filter are you using? Some of them flow better than others...
a wix
Old 03-10-2011, 05:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 96TransAmboosted
a wix
You should be good, then.........
Old 03-10-2011, 05:39 PM
Launching!

mine did the same, took the push rod out blew it out with compressed air and she was fine after that..

Quick Reply: New motor and have a oil pressure/flow ?