Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Anyone running OBX headers and X Pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 02:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone running OBX headers and X Pipe?

Hey, im shopping for an exhaust setup for my current stock 02 C5 z06 and came across obx headers that include and x pipe. On ebay.

COST is about 650 plus 45 dollar shipping which sounds like a great deal to me comparing to everything else that runs over a grand....

I need all the feedback i can get!!!
I would post this on corvette forums but im having problems with my account so i gotta seek help here.

And question number 2, how good is the stock catback (im planning to leave a stock one) on an 02 z06? i honestly wouldnt like to shell out an extra 400 dollars on a catback, but rather get a cam instead.

Thanx!!!!
Old 03-10-2011, 05:21 AM
On The Tree

I am. I haven't had any issues with them and they are a good alternative to many of the mainstream headers if you are looking to save cash. Fortunately too I am running the stock exhaust. The stock exhaust flows really well and can support large amounts of power. A lot of guys with base C5s run C5 Z06 exhaust because they are quieter than many of the aftermarket exhausts.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:02 AM
Staging Lane

i just ordered some too. they should be in sometime next week. Ill let you know more once i get them on
Old 03-10-2011, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

heard the new designed OBX headers fit alot better than the older ones. So you should ok with them. Stock catback on the Z06 sounds awesome with headers and no cats. Plus the stock ti is super light!
Old 03-10-2011, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Should I gets a catted X?
Old 03-11-2011, 07:07 AM
On The Tree

You being in cali I would recommend cats just due to emissions. Almost anywhere else you don't need them. The car will sound better and will perform a little better without cats.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheHitman
You being in cali I would recommend cats just due to emissions. Almost anywhere else you don't need them. The car will sound better and will perform a little better without cats.
Well, its not my daily anyway. I may go catless, and will see if its too loud
Old 03-13-2011, 03:13 AM
BPG
Teching In

i do and sound great with no cats and borla stingers. lot of people hate on them... but i would too if i were paying twice the money. haters gonna hate
Old 03-13-2011, 01:32 PM
TECH Regular

I was looking at these but not sure yet I had the TSP set on my 01 coupe and they were good but the fit wasnt great you had to cut wholes in the tunnel also every set I've found just says ls1 I'm assuming it will work on the Z
Old 03-16-2011, 01:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I know the OBX stuff is Malasian made however it looks awfully good
and am considering it myself
Old 03-16-2011, 07:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

If its the older style OBX, I wouldn't get it. I searched up on those headers and came up with way to many negative comments on them and very few good responses. For about the same amount of cash I'd go with the TSP headers and X-pipe.
The stock z06 catback flows about just as good as aftermarket from what I hear and sounds real good too. Don't get aftermarket catback if you're looking for a power upgrade because you won't get much.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-p...e-headers.html

Check these out he said there would be another sale on these soon. Best deal for headers right now if you ask me. Normal price is $899 catted $749 non catted and I think thats shipped!
Old 03-17-2011, 12:59 AM
On The Tree

I got it, LOVE it fit really good loooks amazing under the car! Mines runnin borla back
Old 03-21-2011, 08:17 PM
Launching!

I run the XSPower headers and they're great. Dynoed 331/343 in my C5 (it's a dyno turd) and ran 11.80@118mph. I picked up 15rwhp over my old SSAC headers and offroad H pipe.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't spend the $500+ on a catback unless you've got some serious mods. The Ti catback isn't much restriction at all unless you're getting up there in power (like 450RWHP+). I'm still running mine and the sound is pretty mild with Heads/Cam/Intake until I go WOT and then it sounds pretty good. I wish it was a little louder at idle and lower rpms but that's ok. You could always go with dual electric cutouts later and have the best of both worlds..."quiet" when you want and ridiculously loud at the flip of a switch. As mentioned the Ti is also very light so you're not saving much (if any) weight by going aftermarket.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have put them on a couple of cars and I think they are better made than the Supermaxxes that they copy. Plust the catt's are a straight through design with no restriction. I would run them for sure. The fitment however is not perfect but really not bad. No hammering or anything.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pray
I have put them on a couple of cars and I think they are better made than the Supermaxxes that they copy. Plust the catt's are a straight through design with no restriction. I would run them for sure. The fitment however is not perfect but really not bad. No hammering or anything.
cool! thanx, i will go for obx then!
Old 04-04-2011, 10:29 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

There is a reason we do not offer the OBX headers anymore.
We had nothing but the worst issues with fitment and quality towards the end of us offering them.
OBX has a horrible return policy as well. They want the vendor or the person who owns them to pay for all shipping to get replacements.
If you have started your car they will not take them back.
You might save some money on these but I would got with th eXS power if I was looking for budget headers

I have the original headers from OBX on my own car now for 3 years
they were fine and no issues
the newest ones are the issues

The catback is something you do not want to get as well
the fitment is really bad and bends are off and in wrong spots.

I stopped offering these as I would never put any customer through the headaches of these problems just to try and make a buck

Go with LG streets
We can help you with the LG as well

PM for best pricing

Dennis
Old 04-14-2011, 06:10 PM
Staging Lane

Default OBX Headers..

I had a set of OBX Headers, no cats, x-pipe on my C5 last year, Sound was amazing with Z06 Ti Catback!!

I am now swapping to stock Z06 manifolds, h-pipe as I have installed a STS turbo kit.

I am selling my OBX headers/X-pipe w/resonators-no cats, everything you need for $500 up here in NorCal (Sac)
Old 05-01-2011, 09:06 AM
Staging Lane

i said i would let you know when i got mine on and how the install went. well 3 weeks later i finally got a day off work that i could.

The intall went great!! there is plenty of ground clearance. the only problem me and a friend ran into was the airtube hose had to be bent a little to match up with the flange.

I put OBX headers with a Bassani catback and it sounds amazing. its not to loud and not to quite, its just perfect for me

Quick Reply: Anyone running OBX headers and X Pipe?