Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Before I buy an amp...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 12:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Before I buy an amp...

I have two questions guys. First... I have an 8-gauge power wire and 8-gauge ground wire. (The kit says the power wire is good for 350 watts max) Do you guys think its okay if I run one amp that puts out 490 watts? (70x4 4 ohm, 210x1 4 ohm) 70 amp fuse on power wire..... Some poeple are telling me im fine. Second question... I have two speakers that only support 50w rms, 100 watt peak.... will a 70w channel blow those two speakers?? I'm never going to crank my volume all the way.... maybe like 75% max. what do you guys think.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

According to bcae1.com, 8AWG wire is good for ~430W with a Class A/B amp and ~537W with a Class D amp. So, either the manufacturer of your wiring kit either sold something close to 8AWG but a little smaller and rated accordingly (~9AWG) or underrated the wire. So can you tell if it is real 8AWG? Also ~50A is a good guide to follow for 8AWG wire, 70A may be a little high. Check out www.bcae1.com and click on "Wire" on the right hand column. It has lots of good reading. Also, what are the fuse sizes on the amp? That ought to be able to tell you a good amount of the amperage draw the amplifier will pull.

As far as the speakers go, it all depends on gain. I am assuming the 70W rating for the amp is RMS. If your gain isn't too high, they should be fine, but that's pretty relative depending on the input voltage and the speakers. I don't know anything about the power handling of your speakers or if they're under/over rated. I am not familiar enough with manufacturers to follow that trend.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:57 PM
Teching In

I get it. Yeah then i should be fine... actually i just found an MTX amp thats perfect for what I need. it puts out 360 rms through 4 ohm channels. perfect for me. Thanks for your help man