Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove ECU connector pins?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 04:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove ECU connector pins?

While wiring up the last few wires for my swap I've come to find out that the previous owner of my harness cut some rather pivotal wires right on the PCM harness.

Specifically the fuel level wire & the fuel tank pressure sensor wire - they are cut right at the connector to the point that I can't even butt-solder a wire onto them.

This is the large red & blue connectors that go to the GM ECM on an f-body in my specific setup.

Is there any tool or method to remove these pins and buy replacements w/wires or simply remove these and remove another one that i'm not using for my swap and replace the ones I need - IE move a longer wire + pin into that position?

I searched around and I know a number of other cars have pin-removal tools and what not but couldn't find anything for the lsx setups. Could anyone shine some light on this for me?

thank you
Old 03-10-2011, 04:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No tool needed really needed, maybe a small screw driver or a pick to push in the locking tabs way from the Blue/Red cover (side) and the pins.

First remove the Gray cover on the back side. 3 tab on each side.

Once the colored covers are off, Use a pick to push the white locking tab away from the pin (what locks the pin in) so that then pin/wire will slide out. You can either pull or push them out.

Once you do that, the pins will just slide out if you push or pull the wire/pin. Might have to use the pick to push the white locking tab on the pin side away so that pin/wire will slide out;.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Extractor tools are cheap and will save you a bunch of anquish if you work with these connectors regularly

http://www.repairconnector.com/produ...-3-Pieces.html
Old 03-10-2011, 05:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Those tools above are handy for other connectors but not required to depin the PCM connectors
Old 03-11-2011, 12:52 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here is a thread from October titled, 'Wiring Harness Tools', there are a couple of pix that shows how to remove the pins from the ECU connector. It's easy!!!

Mike
Old 03-11-2011, 01:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you guys! - it really was a lot easier than I was expecting a harbor freight pick made it a breeze

Quick Reply: How to remove ECU connector pins?