General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Ls1 low rpm squeal on warmup??

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls1 low rpm squeal on warmup??

2000 Formula with Ls1 and 6-Speed tranny..
Okay I thought the noise was a belt,I removed the belts and the noise is still there,Then I thought it was a tick but it's just not a tick..Its more like an intermediate squeal....I can start the car,let it warm up(of corse it has the normal "piston slap") once it warms up there will be a squealing noise,The noise seems to get quieter and/or go away when the rpm's are above idle(also note that it makes no difference if the clutch is pressed in or out it still makes the noise and still the same kind)..it gets louder as you get closer to the bellhousing and quieter as you move away from it,both directions.....okay so next thought...Clutch?..nope put new clutch,pressure plate,slave cyl,and rear main seal>just because it was dripping a little bit<..in the car...start it up all exceited and the noise is still there...WTH??
now at this point I'm so frustrated it's ridiculous...My mechanic seems to think its a roller on a lifter sticking,well thats another two grand to "try" and see if thats what the issue is,I've read on here about a seal in an oil pump and some other various possibilities but I'm extremely new to the Ls1 and was wondering if someone could give me some insight or just point me in the right direction...Thank you in advance for any help...I miss driving my car..
Old 03-10-2011, 11:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I havent heard of that before sorry, Have you used a mechanics stethascope to try and locate the source? I just had a time trying to fix my own squeal and all i can say is be sure to do a very thorough job otherwise you might have to do everything again (my case)
Old 03-11-2011, 06:48 AM

my mechanic did use one while it was in the air and said it seriously seemed to be coming from the bellhousing area....He's pulling the trans again today and digging deeper maybe he will find something.I have no idea now.Thank you for your input though
Old 03-11-2011, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pilot bearing?
Old 03-11-2011, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Killer5.3
Pilot bearing?
that was replaced too...Right now im
Old 03-28-2012, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine does the same. Any ideas?

Quick Reply: Ls1 low rpm squeal on warmup??