Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

ignition lock cylinder

Old 03-10-2011, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ignition lock cylinder

How can I tell if my ignition lock cylinder is going out? My security light is on and every now and then my car won't start (like it is in gear) but I wait about 5 mins and it starts.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:14 AM
Teching In

that's how it starts going bad, same problem with mine... but i'm not sure exactly what goes wrong...

Funny thing, the messed up cylinder save my *** once... i couldn't put my car in park so i had to leave it N or a gear, if the cylinder would of ben good i wouldn't of ben able to start my car but the pice of sh*t saved me... i took the center console cover out and found my lighter cylinder thing had fallen in there probably when the ash tray wasn't there and was jamming up shifter or whatever its called
Old 03-15-2011, 10:52 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most of the time you can get a new key and it will fix the problem the resister in the side of the key gets wore down and dont make good contact or you could always bypass it it only cost about 5 bucks and takes 20 min or so
Old 03-24-2011, 02:02 PM
Teching In

I had a guy supposedly fix mine but they did the splice reroute on it (without me knowing
And I paid full price. I found out later if the splice is done it disables your facrory ignition kill
So your car can be hotwired. I had a new wiring installed and back to factory. I would advise against the
Cheaper route cause your car is vunerable to theft after its done. Get a new cylender and a couple
Keys cut to be on the safer side. Nobody wants their ride stolen, especially when you think its protected
By a passive alarm system. Just my 2 cents.
I never could find the tech who shortchanged me on the alarm repair. But I found out and that's all good now

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ignition lock cylinder