Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

mixing syn. 75w140 gear lube and dex merc.?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 12:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mixing syn. 75w140 gear lube and dex merc.?

So I work at a import shop in QA county MD and we had a bmw m5 come in for a clutch upgrade, we installed a uuc lightweight aluminum flywheel and the 850 csi clutch and pressure plate. Comes in a kit from UUC performance, along with 1 qt synthetic gear lube and 1 quart dex mer. all fluids are redline

With out the fluid and the upgrade package there was a lot of clutch chatter..so after further investigating why the hell they sent us the two fluids we were told to mix the two together and put it in the trans.

And to all of our amazement NO CLUTCH CHATTER OR NOISE FROM THE TRANS ONCE SO EVER!

So has anyone everheard or think it would be bennificial to take this mixture and install it into our tremics?
Old 03-11-2011, 12:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 99TNA
So I work at a import shop in QA county MD and we had a bmw m5 come in for a clutch upgrade, we installed a uuc lightweight aluminum flywheel and the 850 csi clutch and pressure plate. Comes in a kit from UUC performance, along with 1 qt synthetic gear lube and 1 quart dex mer. all fluids are redline

With out the fluid and the upgrade package there was a lot of clutch chatter..so after further investigating why the hell they sent us the two fluids we were told to mix the two together and put it in the trans.

And to all of our amazement NO CLUTCH CHATTER OR NOISE FROM THE TRANS ONCE SO EVER!

So has anyone everheard or think it would be bennificial to take this mixture and install it into our tremics?
The blocker ring liners of the T56 are not designed to work with gear oils, only ATF.. Try it and I'll bet your trans will lock up pretty tightly in short order.

Bronze, some sintered bronze, and face plated transmissions might work with such a mix, but unless you know what your doing, I'd stick with Mfg recommendations..
Old 03-11-2011, 02:59 PM
Teching In

Well that's what had me was that factory the m5 uses dex merc as well.....so why would it not destroy it?
Old 03-11-2011, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea for import, I mix gear oil like that, for our american car, use atf type only.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:39 PM
Teching In

yea was just curious if anyone else has everheard of it before is all

Quick Reply: mixing syn. 75w140 gear lube and dex merc.?