Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Another super newb question. Be nice!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another super newb question. Be nice!

Ok, I really want to know what the manual shifting is supposed to feel like. I just want to make sure it's not me that is the issue. I have never (until now) had a new clutch. I have to admit this new monster stage 4 feel just slightly better than the supposedly "beat up" clutch that was in the car before. When I change gears, i feel a lot of rigid walls between shifts. I always thought shifting would be a smooth transition. Also, do most people push the clutch all the way to the floor on every shift or just past the engagement point? i know it works better to push to the floor with 1st and reverse. I shift pretty good imo. but if i'm shifting wrong.. i want to know. like i said i just broke 500 miles on my monster clutch and went a few rounds against a guy i met and i was missing gears like crazy. i dont miss gears often. should a new clutch be as lose as the older clutch? it's smoother, but it's not as much of a "wow" factor as i thought. what do you guys think? did these guys not put in the clutch i supplied or do i need to give it more time?
Old 03-20-2011, 03:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

wow, nobody wants to drop in their 2 cents? i'm not asking you to show me how to drive a stick, i just want to know how your manual shifting feels in relation to mine. That's all.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

These cars don't shift that smooth, especially with an aftermarket clutch. They tend to not want to be slipped while shifting, it's more of an 'on-off' feel. I've always pushed the pedal all the way to the floor, just a habit and it assures me that the clutch is fully disenaged(unless you have other problems of course). When you say rigid shifts do you mean difficult to get in gear, it's grinding or just stiff? Also what do you mean as 'wow' factor; like when you're racing it doesn't seem to grab as hard as your older clutch? A lot of what you said and asked can be interpreted a couple different ways.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:12 AM
TECH Addict

pick up a tick master cylinder, you'll be shifting smoothly in no time

Quick Reply: Another super newb question. Be nice!