View Full Version : Scam Technique to watch for

aothepresident
03-13-2011, 04:51 PM
Watch out for this technique. Almost got me. Guy PM's me about a WTB thread I made. Says he has the item I want for sale and then says he doesn't have paypal. No posts or feedback. States that he knows what the item goes for new and then sets a low price to entice. Wants me to send money by mail. He then uses pictures from another user or online somewhere. Even lists the mileage on the item. All in all, pretty legit but I was suspicious. That's when I found another user's post with the exact same pics. Just be careful out there guys. FYI the user's name is cobraeater81 but obviously with no posts or feedback it's easy to change names. Watch out for these cats, bad news.

aothepresident
03-13-2011, 04:54 PM
Just tried to get me to send Western Union. Harder to track I guess.

nickp
03-13-2011, 06:12 PM
he just sent me a pm on an item i also had in the wtb forum, with pics and a very low price... also told me he didnt accept paypal.

joelster
03-13-2011, 06:14 PM
Let an admin know. Hopefully the guy used his home computer and didn't hide his ip address. That way they can either ban it or find out all the other s/n's he uses.

Numba20
03-13-2011, 07:53 PM
he had me going too. with a pretty newbie status, i looked him up, sure glad i found this. i woulda been out some cash!

spina74
03-14-2011, 12:12 AM
Just tried to sell me an MS4, glad I'm not an impulsive buyer anymore....

TheBlueKnight
03-14-2011, 01:50 AM
Somebody scam bait this guy

aothepresident
03-14-2011, 07:59 AM
I just read the rules of this forum (I know, should have read before posting), but I just wanted to warn everybody about this technique, not necessarily complain about the 1 user. It was better than I've ever seen.

Glad to hear others may have benefitted and keep watching out guys.

StormesRacing
03-14-2011, 08:07 AM
He is using my exact pics of my cousins converter i pocted hereBuild 1999 trans Am heads cam (http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/general-lsx-automobile-discussion/1377620-build-1999-transam-heads-cam-full-bolt-ons-lots-pics.html)

southsidecox
03-14-2011, 09:00 PM
uhh,hes from indiana according to his profile,prob. that Aaron Bean piece of shit,he should get skullf*cked and sent to nigeria

westtexasbuff
03-14-2011, 09:18 PM
uhh,hes from indiana according to his profile,prob. that Aaron Bean piece of shit,he should get skullf*cked and sent to nigeriaThat motherfucker is still on here!!?? I remember years ago that piece of shit scammed a whole bunch of people. That cock sucker needs to get a fucking job, or get railed by big black cocks in jail so he can learn his lesson!

Quick99Si
03-14-2011, 10:05 PM
Can somebody please post a picture that he tried using on you? I'm interested in trying to see if there's a way to check where he's getting them. Thanks.

LXinMS
03-14-2011, 10:21 PM
Can somebody please post a picture that he tried using on you? I'm interested in trying to see if there's a way to check where he's getting them. Thanks.

EDIT: Same guy, cobraeater81

I posted a WTB for a Edelbrock 2908 and some other small things. Within an hour I had a response, with one for $500...almost double retail. I thought this might have been one for L92s, and that could have justified the price. I see later that he included pictures in the first response, so I googled "2908 intake ports" and saw the SAME pictures, on this forum...from 2005. The address of the pics in the PM sent me back to a 73-ls1.com in the folder of someone elses website:

http://73-ls1.com/ SUPER73 /Intake /top02.jpg

Theres several folders if you back up, looks like a nice build. I did not look around enough to see if anyone was in any of them, nor did I notice any folders that looked like they would contain images of anything BUT a build.

Regardless, he wouldnt take paypal, said he got scammed for about $740 sometime in the past. I offered a post office money order, provided he would sign for it, as delivered by the post office. No response.

I *did* send $75.00 to someone ALSO in Indiana, box is on the way per usps.com, for delivery sometime this week. Should I not get what I was supposed to, I will post a user name, phone number, and paypal information. FWIW, the one I sent the money one to was a business.

We shall see...

Quick99Si
03-14-2011, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the reply. I think it's always smart to do a quick Google search when sending money blindly to a stranger online. PayPal has kind of made us numb to this. A good way to protect yourself from this type of scam is to do a little homework.

1. Do a search for that image using a search engine like TinEye (http://www.tineye.com). You upload an image and it tells you where it is posted online. It's a useful tool though not 100% reliable. It did not work for the image referenced by LXinMS http://73-ls1.com/SUPER73/Intake/top02.jpg but you can try it and it's pretty decent and seeing who lifts your pics.

2. Download the picture and read the EXIF data from it. Windows 7 does this natively by viewing the picture details from that image above like this:

http://quick99si.home.comcast.net/~quick99si/pisc_misc/exif.jpg

3. Get on the phone and talk with the person!

aothepresident
03-15-2011, 10:36 AM

Here are two of them:
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk209/stormzracing/SS3600-2.jpg
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk209/stormzracing/SS3600-3.jpg

After looking at the image address I noticed that they were from a Photobucket album and decided to look into that further. That's when I realized they were from another thread on this forum just 2 months ago (see post #9 in this thread for link).

He just takes other people's pics, then makes up a story. Here's what he PM'ed me:
"i have a yank ss3600 for sale, i dont have a paypal so i figured id let you know this upfront so local pickup would be preferred but if u cant pick it up i have no problem shipping it we would just have to figure out a different way to send the money. The stall is basicly new has about 1.5k miles on it, works great still have original box and paperwork. Wrecked my car and am parting out all my aftermarket stuff. LMK what you think either way please."

aothepresident
03-15-2011, 10:40 AM
uhh,hes from indiana according to his profile,prob. that Aaron Bean piece of shit,he should get skullf*cked and sent to nigeria

Yup, didn't want to call him out by name, but that's the one.

bigboykilroy
03-15-2011, 03:19 PM
I would say as a safe measure to always post up your pics with your screen name on them.

kc9406
03-15-2011, 08:17 PM
I just replied to another thread like this, about the same guy, in the Parts Wanted section of the classifieds. I was just about to finalize a deal with him for some injectors, but luckily I ran across these threads. I didn't get as far as sending money thankfully, but we did exchange info.

StormesRacing001
03-16-2011, 01:33 AM
Here are two of them:
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk209/stormzracing/SS3600-2.jpg
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk209/stormzracing/SS3600-3.jpg

That is definitely my converter.

nhra-trans-am
03-16-2011, 02:56 AM
I banned him. Thanks for looking out guys.

a-low
03-16-2011, 09:31 AM
Crap he almost got me too!

aothepresident
03-16-2011, 01:53 PM
Good to hear this post helped some people and thank you nhra-trans-am for banning this user. Just a last warning guys, watch out for this technique because this guy/guys without posts or feedback can just make another username.

Golf&GM
03-16-2011, 03:28 PM
I always ask for a picture with their username, date, AND the parts. If the seller doesn't have the time to do that then I don't have the time to pay them for anything.

dyls1
03-16-2011, 06:50 PM
I always ask for a picture with their username, date, AND the parts. If the seller doesn't have the time to do that then I don't have the time to pay them for anything.

VERY smart, will do in the future (although I have never been scammed but you never know). Thanks

99screamindemon
03-17-2011, 10:50 AM
ya pretty sure this peice of shit just robbed me!! :mad:i thought it was wierd so my fault for sending money, i guess i just trust people to much.
i put up a wtb ad for a fast 92mm intake and he replied with pics so i sent him half the payment through western union and was SUPPOSED to send the rest when i get the intake.. like that will happen:bang: glad you guys are smarter than me
lesson learned tho i willl never buy over the web unless new from a store!

southsidecox
03-17-2011, 12:09 PM
ya pretty sure this peice of shit just robbed me!! :mad:i thought it was wierd so my fault for sending money, i guess i just trust people to much.
i put up a wtb ad for a fast 92mm intake and he replied with pics so i sent him half the payment through western union and was SUPPOSED to send the rest when i get the intake.. like that will happen:bang: glad you guys are smarter than me
lesson learned tho i willl never buy over the web unless new from a store!yeah,im sure your fugged!!!! i would love for someone to be waiting at the western union when this shit stain shows up to collect

southsidecox
03-17-2011, 12:11 PM
oh yeah, you need to post up all the info he sent you,he will need to show an id to collect that $$$

sittinlovely
03-17-2011, 02:58 PM
I think this guy just tried to get me ( tidussloan ). He was trying to sell me a fast 90. He just started this name today and has a zero trader rating. He was wanting me to send money western union and gave me a crazy story why he doesnt use paypal. Hopefully this helps you guys.

StormesRacing001
03-17-2011, 03:07 PM
lesson learned tho i willl never buy over the web unless new from a store!

Buying parts online isn't always bad. You just have to make sure that the person has good trader and accepts paypal. Paypal is your best friend when it comes to buying stuff online. If you don't get your parts, you can always dispute the transaction. That is why most of these guys won't accept paypal.

sittinlovely
03-17-2011, 03:33 PM
I think this guy just tried to get me ( tidussloan ). He was trying to sell me a fast 90. He just started this name today and has a zero trader rating. He was wanting me to send money western union and gave me a crazy story why he doesnt use paypal. Hopefully this helps you guys.

I pmed this guy back and asked for pics with his unsername and date. He replied with it. Do you guys think this is legit?
http://i56.tinypic.com/33trmgj.gif

StormesRacing001
03-17-2011, 03:42 PM
NEVER use Western Union to purchase parts. There is no way to recoup what you lose.

99screamindemon
03-18-2011, 01:10 AM
Buying parts online isn't always bad. You just have to make sure that the person has good trader and accepts paypal. Paypal is your best friend when it comes to buying stuff online. If you don't get your parts, you can always dispute the transaction. That is why most of these guys won't accept paypal.

i know i should have seen the red flags! live and learn i guess ha

aothepresident
03-18-2011, 07:18 AM
I pmed this guy back and asked for pics with his unsername and date. He replied with it. Do you guys think this is legit?
http://i56.tinypic.com/33trmgj.gif

Sketchy as heck with a story to match, I'd stay far away

brian g
03-19-2011, 02:37 AM
Justed posted a questionable trader that hails from Indiana also........Hhhhhmmmmm?
Wonder if this is the same person?
tidussloan

sittinlovely
03-19-2011, 05:47 AM
Justed posted a questionable trader that hails from Indiana also........Hhhhhmmmmm?
Wonder if this is the same person?
tidussloan

Yeah, he said he was from northern Indiana.

1badeagle
03-19-2011, 07:11 AM
Everyone needs to add tidussloan to the list. Just join yesterday, no post wants me to send cash to him in northern indiana for a used ms4 cam.

sittinlovely
03-19-2011, 10:28 AM
tidussloan. I know your going to read this. Go fu** off. Everyone knows what your up to, so just go away and shoot yourself in the face. I really hope you get caught one day (and you will) and get your face pounded in. Thanks

Slo_240sx
03-19-2011, 01:23 PM
Tidussloan is a piece of shit. He tried to get me, at the time I was enticed with a cheap price but wanted more info. No trader feedback or post and no paypal. I said with no documentation I wasnt going to send him anything. His response was "I have my reasons for not using paypal. Sorry". That reason is because you're a scammer fucker.

LXinMS
03-22-2011, 11:59 PM
E-Works was the one I bought the crossmember from. It came in last week. Nice guy to deal with...

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/parts-classifieds/1349476-kooks-ls1-foxbody-swap-headers-aje-crossmember-driveshaft-etc.html

RATBOX
03-29-2011, 03:11 AM
Wouldn't be hard to set this guy up, just need someone in the area to be at the western union when he comes to pick up the money. Hell, for that matter you can probably have a local cop accompany you and have him arrested on suspicion of theft by deception once he signs for the money. Then at least he won't come back here trying this scam again.

mike mlodecki
03-29-2011, 10:22 AM
where from Indiana is this guy? i am from Indianapolis and go home to NW Indiana. Hammond/East Chicago/Highland/crown point region.

Red98C5
04-03-2011, 03:36 PM
This sounds bad to me...I received a PM from " transamracer " about a FAST intake I'm looking for. I noticed he became a member one day after I listed my thread, and will not use Paypal either. He wants Western Union payment, even when I told him I'd send a Postal Money order, which is as good as cash, so I'm real hesitant on my purchase attempt. Has anybody heard of my guy?? If you then add to his "other" strangeness, he's from Goshen, IN really making it suspicious.

sittinlovely
04-04-2011, 02:42 PM
DON'T SEND THE MONEY TO HIM!!! Its probably the same same guy and thought he could change his name and scam some more people. This guy needs to be setup and finally caught.

lildemars09
04-16-2011, 11:18 AM
Alright i hear everyone talking about this tidussloan guy... well heres the story about him, i posted a WTB subframe connector and like everyone else he wanted western union and i told him i only have paypal and people get screwed over western union and hes like man i would not do that to anyone i use it for my business which this is what he said "i do have a cell but its a work cell i can only use it to make calls, if u want to talk to me just give me ur number and i can call you. Im not out to rip anyone off man i own a saltwater fish business and use western union almost daily for transactions, western union has all of my information in there system i have a western union gold sellers account with them through my business." yea its fishy bc if you have a work phone why couldnt you call out on it???? how are you suppose to do business..... yea fishy fu** thats what he is, also i gave him my cell # and he never called me once and then he told me that he was selling me a $220 sub frame connectors and i told him they are cheaper than that and this is what he said to me " Fine then go buy them I'm already selling u a pair of 290 dollar connectors for 130 if u don't want them then don't buy them I'm not goin any lower on the price" so if i were you guys i would stay away from this loser.

Red98C5
04-16-2011, 03:27 PM
Im not out to rip anyone off man i own a saltwater fish business .........

This is the same line that I got from "transamracer" on the FAST intake I wanted to buy from him. After giving him some information, he never contacted me back either....I would not be surpriesed if both our people are the same.

wooddaniel
04-19-2011, 08:34 AM
Hopefully if theyre not the same people they all get what they deserve. I cant stand a Fucking thief. Thanks for looking out guys.

spicebird98
05-07-2011, 12:58 PM
Guess I can get added to the list of people getting beat by transamracer/Aaron Bean

Got the same story about a set of gears, the guy wouldnt use paypal etc etc I sent him $150 a week ago. Wish I would have checked the negative trader feedback stuff sooner...guess I can kiss that money goodbye now

wooddaniel
05-07-2011, 02:42 PM
Guess I can get added to the list of people getting beat by transamracer/Aaron Bean

Got the same story about a set of gears, the guy wouldnt use paypal etc etc I sent him $150 a week ago. Wish I would have checked the negative trader feedback stuff sooner...guess I can kiss that money goodbye now

Live and learn. That sucks man, just remember there is no reason to use anything but paypal unless you're picking up the item and paying cash. Who doesnt have access to a paypal and a bank account these days? Always pay with a credit card and paypal, that way you can call your credit card company if you never get anything.

mrnorm_hemicide
05-17-2011, 09:29 PM
I had a similar situation happen to me just today. A member named xshawnjones pm'd me about my wtb thread with a stock picture of kooks headers from maryland racing and said he/she didn't have a pic of the actual headers. Then they said they didn't really want to do paypal and went right to Western Union. I'm not sure if this person is one of the seemingly new breed of 'tech scam artists, but they just joined this month and only have 3 posts and no trader rating. I had to turn him/her down, just not worth the risk.

Fuck, why do some people have to sully the waters of our lagoon of peace?!?

wooddaniel
05-17-2011, 10:35 PM
I had a similar situation happen to me just today. A member named xshawnjones pm'd me about my wtb thread with a stock picture of kooks headers from maryland racing and said he/she didn't have a pic of the actual headers. Then they said they didn't really want to do paypal and went right to Western Union. I'm not sure if this person is one of the seemingly new breed of 'tech scam artists, but they just joined this month and only have 3 posts and no trader rating. I had to turn him/her down, just not worth the risk.

We just need to keep bumping this up, it should possibly be a sticky in th FS section. I know there is a list of fraud scam techniques in the rules, but Maybe more people would read it if it had it's own thread. Just gotta be smart about shit, only use paypal for online stuff and pay with a credit card. You should never western union anyone for anything online. Plus if a deal seems too good to be true, it probably is. I try to research stuff as much as possible to see what it goes for. If the price is ridiculously low, I don't even bother with it.

superssport
05-17-2011, 11:15 PM

She tried to sell me some pacesetters. She gave me a picture but when I asked for one with a username and date I never heard back. Her story doesn't add up. Through her posts either.

mrnorm_hemicide
05-18-2011, 12:03 AM
She tried to sell me some pacesetters. She gave me a picture but when I asked for one with a username and date I never heard back. Her story doesn't add up. Through her posts either.

Wow, sounds like this xshawnjones character really is sketchy as hell. God these people piss me off. If not for these douchebags we'd be able to buy and sell without pissing our pants worrying about getting screwed over :bang:

JaYZeig
05-21-2011, 03:50 PM
interesting read here, ive been dealing with xshawnjones and "she" sent me a reply to my wtb hp tuners thread..says theyll only use western union,and i told them i would buy it for 340 shipped, and she said shell knock 20 off if i use western union.. and her and her fam. use it all the time. glad i searched their name, they only have 3 posts and created an acct here within the month.know now to stay away!

Jerred p
05-25-2011, 04:55 PM
xshawnjones is also from indiana....ive got 2 address's on him terre haute and goshen. He only wanted to use western union also. Wont give me a telephone number. Says his wife has to get on because he works all the time.
HE IS A SCAMMER!!!!

JaYZeig
05-25-2011, 06:04 PM
:eyes:i was told by "her" that he is in the militarry and said to sell off all his car parts to pay for the rent

superssport
05-25-2011, 06:16 PM
:eyes:i was told by "her" that he is in the militarry and said to sell off all his car parts to pay for the rent

This was also the story I got. I searched the past posts and there was one saying he worked for gm. That's when I knew the story didn't match up.

Jerred p
05-26-2011, 12:57 AM
Think I found where he really works at, Best buy the name and address he give me I looked it up on Facebook and Callen Lowe come up so I looked up he's info and it is the same as the info he give me. It says he works at Best buy so Im about to call down there tomorrow and find out! Also I sent him a message on FB asking where the F--- my intake was and I was gonna find him!! an hour later his reply was on his wall "I mash tatters like I mash hatters" any other guy would have sent me a message back saying you have the wrong guy.....

texasglock23
05-26-2011, 01:29 AM
Keep us posted

Call his employer and speak with a manager. Explain the story, they will not appreciate a thief. Of course this will only work if you are certain he is your Scammer.

qc97z
05-26-2011, 02:58 PM
Best Buy in Indiana? Sounds like another Aaron Beane scam.

Jerred p
05-27-2011, 01:36 AM
I have done some investigating and found out that Aaron Bean and Callen Lowe just so happen to be friends on facebook and went to the same high school and live in the same town!!

qc97z
06-02-2011, 03:32 PM
^ I'll be damned.

Rick Speed
06-02-2011, 11:17 PM
Just so you guys know Paypal isn't so safe in itself. They will only garranty ebay purchases. A bunch of us got scammed by a guy named Slimm4357 using paypal. he took the money out before any of us could get it back and I even lost $100 to this guy. Here is the thread.
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/negative-trader-feedback/1040396-slimm4357-owes-me-another-26-00-refund.html

johnp94
06-08-2011, 07:37 PM
Don't call his job. He might get fired and then no one will be able to find him.

classic_speed
07-25-2011, 02:23 AM
Well guys, he got me for 300. What can we do about this guy??? I also have an address in goshen, in. His new screen name is night in the rutts. Sent western union, is there anything I can do??

qc97z
07-25-2011, 02:11 PM
^ Nope. You've been had.
All you can do is contact the local authorities in his area.

classic_speed
07-25-2011, 02:31 PM
Hes still talking to me and says hes gonna ship it. But is Aaron Bean

babbage1109
07-27-2011, 03:57 PM
Just an idea. Like I wonder if paypal would accept an idea and I wonder how many people would be okay with it. Like instead of instantly getting money when you sell something through paypal and only have to wait a few days to it to get in your account. What about if there was something they could do as to where payment can't be withdrawn until the item is shipped and confirmed by the buyer? Idk.

I just know if they ask for western union I don't do it.

lizeec
07-27-2011, 09:29 PM
[QUOTE=babbage1109;15202550]Just an idea. Like I wonder if paypal would accept an idea and I wonder how many people would be okay with it. Like instead of instantly getting money when you sell something through paypal and only have to wait a few days to it to get in your account. What about if there was something they could do as to where payment can't be withdrawn until the item is shipped and confirmed by the buyer? Idk.

You would have the exact same problem but in reverse, what is to keep the buyers from not confirming the part is incorrect and in agreed upon shape, then you we would have another thread on "sellers beware of this scam" It is a tricky road when you buy long distance and all through emails, the only piece of advice is always use a credit card, never ever use western union or a debit card on any transaction. I have bought and sold hundreds of items over the internet and I almost got screwed out of $800.00 it was for 5 parts and the seller took a month to send three of the five parts, and of course the 2 parts he didnt send were worth about $700.00 of the $800.00 I sent him, I filed a complaint through Paypal and they ruled in his favor because he had a tracking number showing that he sent the parts and that I received them, even though the shipment was missing the 2 most expensive and most needed items. I filed through my credit card company and it took about 2 months and I had to send the other 3 parts back and show a tracking number and that he received them and I got my $800.00 back from Paypal and then I guess Paypal had to deal with him, I should have sent him back a rock in a box as my credit card company and paypal were only needing to see a tracking number and that it was delivered to the right address. So long story short Paypal sucks and they wont help you and I only pay with my credit card, even if it is for a pack of bubble gum. Sorry but there are alot of good people out there but im afraid the assholes are out numbering the good people.

babbage1109
07-27-2011, 09:51 PM
That is true. A side I wasn't thinking about. I hate people lol I guess the old saying, if it's too good to be true it probably is, stays true