Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Upgrading lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading lights

I have a fog light out on one side of the 'bird and and DRL out on the other. I bought the car in June so I have no idea how old the fogs are, however I JUST had the DRL replaced a month ago. Any reason for it blowing so quickly? Also, can the same process for de-clouding lights be used for the DRL covers?

My second question: What are some good bulbs to upgrade the fogs to? Since one went out, I figured I would replace/upgrade both to some better quality bulbs.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:35 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Very common - check for a cracked DRL lens. Press on the front with your finger, which may expose any cracks. Also look inside for water. When water touches the hot bulb, it will pop. You can drill a weep hole in the bottom, which will help until you can get a new lens.

IMO - Buy a cheap bulb for the fogs and replace more often. You'll end up spending less money that way.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:07 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wssix99
Very common - check for a cracked DRL lens. Press on the front with your finger, which may expose any cracks. Also look inside for water. When water touches the hot bulb, it will pop. You can drill a weep hole in the bottom, which will help until you can get a new lens.

IMO - Buy a cheap bulb for the fogs and replace more often. You'll end up spending less money that way.
I had to buy new housings and new sockets because mine would go out every few weeks. My sockets were melted and corroded. Fairly easy install for the new housings and sockets.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:18 PM
On The Tree

No cracks in my DRL lense :/ just a crappy bulb i guess?
Old 03-18-2011, 10:39 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by kjcmusic17
Maybe. Any sign of water in there? The sockets are probably burnt, which is normal. Any sign of corrosion on the terminals? (There are replacement seals for the sockets, etc. available if needed.)

Also - yes - you can polish the lenses to make them look like new again. Mine have cracked before I've had to do this!
Old 03-18-2011, 10:46 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by kjcmusic17
Try using some dielectric grease on the contacts. Always seems to help me out. I used some on the light bulbs over the kitchen table and not one has blown since. We used to go through them every week.